“Incredible Day on the Great Barrier Reef!”

Ocean Spirit Cruises
Outer Great Barrier Reef Dive and Snorkel Cruise from Cairns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Incredible Day on the Great Barrier Reef!”
Reviewed January 19, 2014

After my son finished his semester abroad in Brisbane we traveled together for a couple of weeks before heading back to the US. We booked a tour with Ocean Spirit Cruises and spent the day out at Michaelmas Cay. The boat was not overbooked which created a nice atmosphere because there was room to move around and more personalized attention. Joey decided to do the introductory dive and had a wonderful experience. His instructor also took him for a dive by himself in the afternoon, allowing him to go out a bit further. She did a wonderful job and I suspect he will become fully certified now after that experience. I enjoyed my time snorkeling on the reef and viewing the reef from the submersible. The food was outstanding and the service impeccable. I would recommend this organization to those looking for a relaxing way to take in the reef and the beautiful surroundings.

Visited November 2013
2 Thank romo124

• Finnish first
Sydney, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great Day on the Reef”
Reviewed December 31, 2013

An excellent day out on the reef, helped by superb weather and sea conditions. Michaelmas Cay is a great location for snorkelling, reef viewing in the semi submersible and for diving. With four hours on the reef, there was plenty of time to have a go at all of these, the introductory dive in particular was very enjoyable. The crew were friendly and helpful, and the boat comfortable. I would highly recommend Ocean Spirit Cruises for Great Barrier Reef trips from Cairns.

Visited December 2013
Abergavenny, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Great Day Out”
Reviewed December 27, 2013

Unlike many of the other cruises that go out to the Great Barrier Reef, this is a small sailing catamaran, which means that you don't feel as though you're just part of a big tour party. The crew were excellent - always helpful and attentive. I'm not a great sailor, so spent most of the journey out feeling a bit sorry for myself as the seas were a bit choppy (or they felt that way to me, my wife who doesn't seem affected by these things thought it was ok). My kids (3 boys, 5, 9 & 12) were really excited to be on this beautiful boat, and especially liked standing on the grille between the twin hulls.

Once we were there we went on the semi submersible for a tour round the reef with an informative guide, then my wife and two youngest went on to Michaelmas Cay for a bit of a paddle and swim, whilst me and my eldest went scuba diving. Our guide (Brigette) was really good, ensuring that we understood the safety requirements before taking us around the reef, pointing out some great things like giant clams, spaghetti coral and so on.

On board there was good food, lots of coffee, tea etc, then, as we approached Cairns on the return leg, a glass of sparkling wine to finish off a great day. We watched as the great thundering water buses full of tour parties sped past us and felt glad that we'd chosen this more intimate approach

Visited December 2013
1 Thank yrddraigllwglyd
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Excellent choice for water lovers”
Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

I was encouraged by the front desk to opt for this cruise option to the barrier reef. If you are interested in diving, taking a semi submersible and snorkeling, this is your best option.

Not too outdoorsy myself, I probably could have spent less to see the reef, but since most go to enjoy the above listed activities, this is a great option. First time divers get a free lesson. A buffet lunch is served on board. They have a "shuttle" to the beach so you can enjoy snorkeling or swimming on your own. If you plan on diving or snorkeling and want to take pictures, bring or purchase a water proof camera prior to your excursion. They have a photographer who takes pics throughout the day, but as expected, the prints are expensive as is renting a waterproof camera on board.

The reef has largely been damaged by cyclones and global warming, which is sad to see. Other divers had more impressive experiences elsewhere in OZ.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank navidad_not
Lismore, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Memorable Reef Experience!”
Reviewed November 1, 2013 via mobile

We recently went on a Great Barrier Reef tour with ocean spirit cruises! The whole day was excellent and service impeccable! The staff were all so friendly and helpful and the cruise went off with out a hitch!

Ocean spirit take you to Michaelmas Cay reef which is about a 2hr journey. The place itself is home to heaps of seabirds which does cause the place to have a certain smell but you do get use to it! The snorkelling at this part of the reef far exceeded our expectations, whilst we haven't experienced a great deal of snorkelling before we were amazed at what we saw! So many beautiful fish and coral and even got to swim with a sea turtle which was amazing! They do offer diving aswell but the semi submersible tour with a resident biologist was a fantastic way to see more of the reef without having to dive!

All in all we had great weather, the buffet lunch was excellent and snorkelling the best we've done! Would definitely recommend them for those wanting a nice relaxed trip to the reef!