All reviewsfree breakfastair congreat wifilounge areafree barbecuerelaxed placebed dormcommon areas arefavourite hostelbook tripshome from homesolo travellercomfortable bedsswimming poolstayed here for nightsthe east coastenjoyed my stay
Reviewed February 12, 2014

My boyfriend and I took a trip up north and found this hostel online. It was close to attractions, and seemed to have decent prices.. so we booked. Immediately TURNED OFF!

First night we had our dishware stolen. As we were cooking!! Turned around, and it was gone. You have to put a $25 deposit for a container with plates and cookware. For every piece missing upon return it is taken out of your deposit. LITERALLY EVERY NIGHT WE HAD STUFF STOLEN FROM US! We addressed the problem to management multiple times... a few occasions it was their own staff taking our stuff. They did nothing... Luckily we had a private room so we could keep it locked... but friends we met staying here had their things stolen in a common room... AS well as dishware in the common kitchen area.

Also... DO NOT make trade, or work for a stay at this place. The management will not fulfill their side of the bargain!! We had made trade for a discount on a room.... After we helped them out, they told us that they had never promised us anything. After MULTIPLE attempts to reason with them.. and multiple cussed out text messages as well as threatening voice-mails from them, we decided to drop it. Not worth it.

However, we felt that we should WARN anyone who wants to stay with them, or exchange for work or goods. Also, expect long lines every time you need something (at least 30 min wait every time you need to get to the front desk). Will not stay there ever again.

Room Tip: We booked a private room. Bring a blanket.... only give you a sheet, and even with warm weather (We were there in winter) it gets cold. Asked manager for blanket MULTIPLE times, never got one. Finally went into an unoccupied room and took on off the bed.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 22, 2014 via mobile

Booked this hostel before I left for Oz so I would have a nice week before flying home to reality.. Stayed in room 3, a 10 bed dorm, private bathroom and kitchen. Pictures looked really nice and was looking forward up staying here.
Reception is barely ever open!
Bathroom in room was vile so used the shared ones instead!
Bed was a 2inch mattress so not nice!
On most doors was a sign saying the aircon was free between certain hours and all night but clearly not in our room! No aircon at all and even if we did pay for it the machine was in kitchen and no where near the beds! Wish I had stayed elsewhere but this isn't the worse place I've stayed and much better than some of the Base hostels I stayed in.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MaryRBN
Reviewed January 16, 2014

As the weather very hot now in Cairns. This hostel doesn't provide A/C and if you want, you need to pay $1/1.5 hrs, $2/3hrs. When you come back from the City, you are sweating too much and the hostel doesn't provide the A/C and you have to pay for A/C with this price. Really doesn't make sense!!! The hostel mentioned providing the WIFI which is just available on the ground floor, couldn't connect in your room. Maybe no hot water for shower at night.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank JoyJoyWong
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I booked into this hostel just for one night before I was due to fly home. I booked it because it had air con and they offered a shuttle bus to the airport.
When I arrived no one at reception told me the air con wasn't working. The girls in my room told me it hadn't been working for days and it was coin operated and they had put a lot of money in the machine trying to make it work. So the room was ridiculously hot and it was difficult to sleep!
I also booked a shuttle bus to the airport at reception the night before I was due to leave. I paid for this at reception and confirmed the time I wanted to be picked up. The next morning my shuttle did not show up! I waited for 15 minutes and then asked reception if it was normal for the bus to be late. The receptionist asked to see my piece of paper showing my bus booking confirmation (I hadn't been given any piece of paper and I only had the receipt for when I paid for it the day before) I showed him the receipt and he basically said it hadn't been booked if I didn't have the piece of paper and I would have to get a taxi!! I then had to go stand and flag down a taxi which took a good 10 mins so I ended up getting to the airport 5 mins before my flight check in closed and having to pay the full taxi fair to the airport!! This is not good enough and this hostel should not advertise that they can sort a bus for you when they don't actually do it! Not impressed at all.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We stayed in a 3 Bed Mixed Dorm that had shared bathrooms and a kitchen. The room had three extra long beds. There was plenty of room for us. The air conditioning in the room was only allowed on between certain hours, but we didn't have an issue while we were there. I can see it being an issue if it was any hotter.

The shared amenities were a bit dirty. There were two restrooms and two showers. Everything was ok but not great. My biggest complaint would be the noise. Our room was directly over a patio. This was fine till night time when the hostel was in full swing. It was extremely noisy and impossible to sleep until 3am. O well.

The price was reasonable and beds were comfortable enough.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends