“Good stay at globetrotters!”

and 1 more site!
Globetrotters International
Ranked #6 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
“Good stay at globetrotters!”
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for 5 nights at the start of December, the first room we were given was really nice and very spacious with great air con and nice bathroom just next door then we went to a twin room which wasn't that nice and had ants all over one of the beds so we had to both sleep in one single however the girl on reception gave us a big discount and she was really nice! We then got a double room for a further two nights which was better, overall the kitchen areas are nice and bathrooms are good and it is near to esplanade and lagoon area of cairns around a 10 minute walk to main city area. Would recommend this place to anyone travelling it was a nice stay overall! :-)

• Stayed December 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Denbigh, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed at this hostel for almost a week and found the place clean, tidy and very sociable. If your female then definitely stay in the all female dorm as they call it "the ritz" and I can see why. The room was cleaned twice a day, the kitchen was tidy and the bathrooms were very clean! The hostel is a 5 minute walk from town and as the hostel is a "non-party" hostel then you will definitely get a good nights sleep before heading out on your trips! Would definitely reccomend this hostel!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
York
Reviewed November 21, 2012 via mobile

I ended up in Globetrotters purely by chance and bad planning! I hadn't booked anything for Cairns and last minute found Globetrotters through HostelWorld bookings.

I read through some of the reviews (of which some are massively negative) and was a little worried about what I was letting myself in for. I could not have been any more wrong!

I got put into 'the ritz' (room 6) which is an all girl dorm and it was amazing! It was much more like an apartment than a dorm room, there's a small kitchen area where you can store all your food etc (no cooker meaning you go to the larger kitchen across the way or the one downstairs, meaning no cooking smells on all your clothes!) and the bunk beds were not the bog standard metal ones but were built into the wall with built in steps meaning no creaking noises or feeling like the bed may collapse at any moment!

There's a garden area out the back with a pool which has lots of couches and is an ideal place to enjoy a couple of drinks before going out into town later on.

Hostel is very secure (entry code required for external gate) and has free wifi which we could get in the room too. It was very clean and the rooms and bathrooms that have been refurbished are if the highest standard I have seen in a hostel.....ever! All cream coloured tiles, more akin to being in a hotel than a hostel.

Cost was extremely reasonable and there is the option of paying less for a more standard room.

If you want a party hostel this is probably not for you, it gets quiet past 10pm but as I said there are areas you can stay in before going out into town.

Town and esplanade are only a short walk away also.

All in all - thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed October 2012
Hong Kong
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed during the solar eclipse period. The hostel is located in excellent location with walking distance the the reef terminal and the city central. The hotel transfer bus is cheaper than others because it's relatively closer to the airport which saved much of our costs. We stayed in the private room and it's clean with comfortable bed.

We stayed on the first floor and there are two toilets. One is quite dirty and with no toilet paper. You have to search a better toilets at other floors or on the other side of the building.

But there is limited place to hang your wet towels which bothered me a lot.

The staffs are helpful and the tour trip advised in the booklet of the hostel is much cheaper than the one I found in website. You might just book a tour in the hostel.

Overall, I like this hostel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Excellent hostel. Friendly helpful staff and awesome laid back atmosphere. I didn't pre book my stay (walked in off the street) and I changed up my stay leaving for a day or two for various overnight tours and diving - the staff was always good finding me a bed despite my stay being around the solar eclipse which had everything in town booked up.

The hostel is a 5-10min walk from the main strip and Esplanade so it's nice and close to everything but far enough out that it's not loud in the middle of party central.

Free wifi as well

I will be returning to Cairns in a few weeks and will definitely be staying at Globetrotters again when I get back

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I have mixed feelings on this place. I would stay here again because I liked the atmosphere and staff, but I feel like they had room to improve.

First, I'd like to say, we stayed in private rooms, not dorm rooms, so I can't comment on them. I was part of a group of ten, so I saw a number of the rooms. We liked that there were enough private rooms to accommodate us, and that there was sufficient social space for us all to hang out.

The bedrooms had carpets, and the beds were directly on the floor. This is very far from ideal in in a humid climate. However, we could see they were in the process of renovating other rooms, and when we told the staff, they said that our rooms would be renovated too. Also, most private rooms had nowhere to put anything. There wasn't so much as a coat hook. Two beds on the floor, and TINY bedside table in between. Spend a couple dollars, and put hooks on the back of the door! Everyone is going to the pool, we have wet towels to hang.

There were a number of people living there, and there was no space in any of the fridges. My friend's olive oil was stolen. That is of course not the hostel's fault. The atmosphere can change with those staying there.

Breakfast was nice, but just cereal. Though the fresh cappuccinos were tasty!

The staff was super helpful!

I would give this place a second chance. Nothing about my experience was bad. It was just so-so. I think their renovations will improve the things I had a problem with, so I'd like to see that.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Orange, Australia
Reviewed November 2, 2012

I arrived at the hostel very early in the morning, much before the reception opening time, but they kindly let me in and stay in the communal area. Their staff were friendly, giving me good advice when I chose a tour. The communal area is closed at 11 p.m. sharp and the hostel will be quiet. Wifi is available for free. Everything was fine with me. Highly recommended.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo