“Absolutely Atrocious” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Khin Khao

Khin Khao
Ranked #67 of 592 Restaurants in Cairns
Cuisines: Asian, Thai
Good for: Romantic, Families with children, Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Authentic Thai restaurant located in the Cairns CBD. We specialise in bringing the flavours of Thailand to our customers.
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
“Absolutely Atrocious”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

This restaurant looks nice from the outside but that is only to attract you inside. Once in, you are likely to meet the husband or wife owner, the husband who made us feel particularly uncomfortable with his ingenuine hospitality/sleaze. The food itself was good but simple; so simple that despite ordering four dishes, they all came out looking identical, perhaps only with a very slightly different sauce. The lunch special is $8.90 for mains which is not bad by Cairns prices but they size of the meals are VERY small (small enough that you would need to order two mains to be satisfied). Nonetheless, we decided to return for dinner there because it was close to where we were staying and we assumed that the serving sizes for dinner (at full price of $18 would be full-sized). When we entered the restaurant, I asked the wife-owner if the dinner serves would be larger; she said "of course they are! We only give small lunch serves because otherwise we wouldn't make any profit". When our meals arrived, they were exactly the same size as the lunch serves. I called the husband-owners attention to this politely and was told to 'get out' if I didn't like what I was served because he was the owner and could do what he wanted. Gone was the sleazy charm and instead we were given a show of full-blown aggression. We did indeed decide to leave the restaurant because we were unhappy with the deceit from the wife promising full-sized meals and because of the most atrocious treatment I have ever received in a restaurant (actually I have NEVER had any problems in restaurants prior to this night). When we went to leave, the husband-owner tried to charge us for the cokes that we hadn't even touched on our table. When I told him that we shouldn't have to pay because we hadn't eaten our dinner there or touched the drinks, I thought he was going to punch me. He was yelling and threatening us; the whole restaurant was shocked by his behaviour which seemed to have come out of nowhere. We managed to get out of there safely (after paying for the drinks) but we were quite frightened and I think it's important to tell other potential diners about this awful experience. No one should ever feel physically threatened when making a complaint about their food. If you want Thai, there is a lovely restaurant that we ended up going to just up the road (Siam Orchard); great food, lovely service, good prices.

• Visited January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Sydney, Australia
“Wish we didn't go there!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

We hated everything about our night here!
We were craaaving Thai and it looked busy and authentic so we decided to give it a go.
When we arrived we were shown to a table without waiting too long. However that was about the best the night got.

We had to wait for over twenty minutes for someone to take our order, we were about to walk out! Granted they seemed busy, but over 20 minutes is still a bit too long to wait!

The food was brought out eventually and we had the worst massaman curry we have ever had! It really tasted nothing like Massaman curry at all! The beef was tough and the potatoes very undercooked!

The other meals were average, we had seafood and sticky rice for desert. Nothing bad, just not great.

The worst thing though was the man in charge. Not sure if he was the owner or not, but he was sooo rude! He took our water to re-fill it and never bought it back over. I went to ask nicely if we could have more water and he rolled his eyes. I Went back to my partner and said quite loudly how rude he was, and I think he got the hint because he became nicer after that.
All night he was telling the waitress what to do, in a very rude manner. Yes, he obviously was in charge, but this poor girl was flat out and he kept just telling her off! Meanwhile he was standing around doing nothing. It was so off-putting. Not good dining in that kind of atmosphere!

We were really dissapointed we had wasted our money there!

Visited February 2013
2 Thank Caroline R
“excellent genuine Thai food!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

best Thai in cairns still! we've been there from the start until today everything is fantastic the services was great because all the staff knew exactly what they were doing, the food is ff which means fantastic & fresh and a phenomenal price fully recommended!

Cairns, Queensland, Australia
“Go here all the time....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

My partner and I go here all the time (we celebrated our second anniversary there in December). The staff are always pleased to see us, and we always get tasty, fresh food. The lunch specials during the day are popular with locals who work in the city, but for dinner times I would recommend getting there earlier - being away from the Esplanade means that they close a bit earlier, epecially mid-week.

• Visited December 2012
Sydney, Australia
“ิฺำBest Thai Restaurant,Delicious and affordable.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Warm, friendly atmosphere of owner, Taste of the food was delicious and affordable. My wife and I come to Cairns for the first time. Favorite this Thai restaurant and I think, I will definitely come back again.

• Visited December 2012