“2012 solar Eclipse cruise”

Down Under Cruise & Dive
Book In Advance
$126.04*
Great Barrier Reef Diving and Snorkeling Cruise from Cairns
$348.03*
and up
Cairns Super Saver: Great Barrier Reef Cruise plus Kuranda Scenic Railway plus...
$422.83*
and up
Learn to Scuba Dive on the Great Barrier Reef: 4-Day PADI Open Water Dive Course
More attraction details
Owner description: Down Under Cruise & Dive based in Cairns, QLD is one of Australia's leading tour operators providing guests of all ages and nationalities with world-class experiences on the Great Barrier Reef. Travelling on-board EVOLUTION, Australia's most luxurious reef vessel you will travel in style and comfort for a very affordable price.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stairs / elevator, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 15, 2012

We had a fantastic time on board the solar eclipse cruise with Dive down under.
The captain and his crew were amazing in ensuring this once in a lifetime experience was enjoyed by everyone on board.
The breakfast rolls rocked as well!

Many thanks for beating the clouds and ensuring our trip for England to watch the eclipse was worth it!

There are newer reviews for Down Under Cruise & Dive

Reviewed October 31, 2012

Even though the GBR is a beautiful place and I had a nice time swimming around it I am only giving this tour company an average review based on its service. It seemed they squeezed as many people onto the boat as they could, room was limited and getting in and out of the water was slow and awkward. I saw other boats on the reef that day that looked like they had less people on board and wished I had booked with them. The safety briefing was given to us by a guy who could barely speak English, this is unacceptable given there was plenty of Australian crew members!! The food was decent and lots to go around but the free wine offered was just cheap goon and pretty much undrinkable. The entertainment at the end of the day was cheesy and maybe aimed at an older group. I think for the amount of people on board the price could have been cheaper! All in all, this group will get you to the good spots on the reef which you should enjoy, but maybe there are better companies in Carins who could do it better.

3  Thank Liam-in-Oz
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Wow, this was one of the funnest days of my life! The cruise staff were amazing-- cheerful, helpful, entertaining, and out-going. The boat was a great size to be able to meet many of the other passengers, and at least recognize everyone by the end of the day. Everything was well-organized and executed. No-one in our group of three had gone SCUBA diving before, but the instructor/dive-master did a great job explaining the gear to us and informing us of what to expect. The dive was incredible; our group of four linked arms and swam around with the guide for the majority of the dive, but were allowed some freedom to glide around with our cameras near the end of the 20-minutes. One of our party signed up for a second dive, and he said that they were allowed much more freedom the second time. I would have loved to go a second time, but the pressure hurt my ears too much (though it was so worth it for the first dive!)

To be honest, the reef itself was not all that I expected. It was beautifully colorful, and the fish we saw were breath-taking, but, at least the area we were in lacked the expanse that I'd imagined. My first reef experience was in Rarotonga, where although the reef isn't as colorful or vast, the fish are much more friendly. I wasn't as awed by what I saw as I'd hoped to be, however, if you've never snorkeled a reef, you'll be blown away.

When not SCUBA-ing, we spent the remainder of our time snorkeling, chatting with other passengers and crew members, relaxing out on the front of the boat in the sun (the weather was gorgeous), and filling ourselves with the amazing food the cruise provided. At the beginning of the cruise, a crew member encouraged passengers to go visit with the captain at any time, so during the return trip, my sister and I did just that. It was fascinating to get to hear about the ship and look at the neat GPS and other electronics. The captain pointed out landmarks of the reef to us, and even allowed my sister to steer the boat for a while (turns out that keeping a ship on a straight course is harder than it looks!) While we were thus occupied, there was apparently live entertainment down on the main-deck, which I heard was well-done.

All-in-all, the three of us had a fantastic day, and unanimously voted it our best Cairns activity. A word of advice: I highly recommend renting an underwater camera for the day of your cruise!

1  Thank John B
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I went on this trip as I was looking for a budget day out on the reef after already visiting it once on a different tour operator. I am glad it wasn't my first reef experience as I didn't feel like the staff took much of a personal interest - no trying to remember names at all, I was referred to my my number all day, even by dive instructors who I was obviously interacting with more throughout the day. The staff were all knowledgeable and friendly but there was not much of a personal touch.

The reef areas visited were gorgeous for both snorkelling and diving and the food on board was good also. I was a solo traveller and felt a little ignored by the staff but I think a family or group of friends would have an excellent time on this trip

Excellent for a budget trip but if you have the cash to spare I wouldn't recommend making this your first choice for service.

2  Thank Francesca V
DownUnderDive, Manager at Down Under Cruise & Dive, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2012

We are glad you enjoyed your day at the reef, although I am a little concerned that you feel you were ignored by our staff. We hold very high customer service standards as you can see from previous reviews.
I would appreciate it if you could contact me with a little more information on the day you travelled and any particular crew that you may have dealt with, if I can identify the crew we will provide some extra training to ensure service standards are maintained.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

Don't get me wrong, I had a fantastic day. It was my first time to the Great Barrier Reef and my first time scuba diving and I had a great time. However, the Down Under Cruise needs some work.

Now there are tons of companies that leave from Cairns and go to the GBR, and all of the slightly differ in place they go, price, number of people, type of boat and such. This one was a large boat with two decks and an outdoor front to the top deck and there were about 100 people on board with about 10 crew members. Now this was the thing that needed to change. Either this company needs a bigger boat, needs to hire more staff per trip, or needs to take less people. When we came to the first dive spot it was mayhem to get in the water. Most people were snorkeling and the certified divers were being put into scuba first. The back deck is very small and with 50 people all on it trying to ge in the water, out of the water, and just moving around, it was very crowded and hectic.

The staff that were there were very nice and I had a great time on both my scuba dives, but for my second dive I sat there for almost 20 min with my group on the back of the boat waiting for a guide to come back from a dive. I think that with a bigger back deck, or a separate launching area for scuba divers, would have helped reduce congestion. Also, having more staff would have made the scuba diving move a lot faster then it did.

The other slightly disappointing part was the first dive location. Now Im not expert of the GBR but I do know that it is massive. For Down Under to pick a location we were going to stay at where the reef was about 10-15 ft (3-5m) below us, unless you were scuba diving it was pretty tough to see much of anything. Also when we were scuba diving at the first dive spot, there really wasn't a whole lot to see to be honest. I know the reef as a whole is suffering badly with rising ocean temperatures but this was a pretty sad place. Now maybe most all of the reef looks like this but there was just massive amounts of bleached and or dead coral, and there were not many fish aside from the few pecking around the clinging to life coral. The colors were all faded and almost gone. The second dive was much improved in terms of life and color which was what leads me to believe the first dive sport was a crap choice on their part.

The last thing that I think Down Under should change was their entertainment. On the boat ride back one of the crew sang a bunch of songs and played the guitar. It was very loud and I would say half the boat was asleep or trying to sleep and this didn't help. Everyone was pretty drained after a long day and this was not the best time to then blast songs at us.

As I said though I did have a wonderful day and it was a great trip. I got amazing photos and had a fun time with all my friends, but I do think that Down Under needs to change a few things to make it easier and better for future trips.

1  Thank Chris W