“I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE!!!”

Global Backpackers Waterfront
Ranked #73 of 85 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Brisbane, Australia
“I DIDN'T WANT TO LEAVE!!!”
Reviewed September 15, 2011

By far the best hostel i've stayed in while i've been in Australia! The staff are so friendly + hillarious and the entertainments made my stay so amusing! From the first night i stayed there i felt like i'd been there for months!
Staff giving everyone their own nick names instantly made me feel comfortable with being on my own in a new place, pranks played on staff, pre drinking in the common area before going out - JUST EVERYTHING! I LOVED IT!

If i ever go back to Cairns I am there!

Long Live 302!!

Room Tip: Some people i met were in 201 and 202 which had balcony's overlooking the lagoon + the sea, for...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 8, 2011

The best hostel I stayed in in Cairns; I've been here almost 8 weeks now and haven't even considered leaving this hostel. The workers are all friendly, outgoing and always there to help you with things, no matter how big or small - whether it be finding somewhere in Cairns, organising your complete East Coast travel package or general information. The people here also made it what it is; there isn't any clicky groups - you can walk into the lounge and people will always strike up a conversation with you or ask if you want to join them in what they're doing; playing cards, going down to play volleyball etc. It's in the perfect location, right in the heart of the CBD, but also next to the lagoon (the best sunbathing spot in cairns!) - from the balcony, you can actually see the sea which leads out to the Great Barrier Reef and also the Daintree rainforest.. what can be better than that? All in all, I'd recommend this hostel to anyone and everyone, no matter what their age. The hostel is clean with good facilities, comfy beds and fresh linen available at your request. I'm very pleased to stay here :)

Room Tip: Stay for 4 nights, only pay for 3! It's by far the cheapest option
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Toulouse, France
Reviewed August 6, 2011

I stayed 3 or 4 nights there, i don't even remember but for me this backpacker is really good value for the money.

I had great time there, and it's very well located, just in front of the lagoon so it couldn't be better.

If you're short with money you can also work for accomodation there, heaps of people are doing that.

• Stayed June 2011
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2011

First the positives: Great location, right on the Esplanade and just across the road from the Lagoon. Also, the bed was pretty comfortable, and they offer a $5 meal deal with a local Irish pub which was really very good! So far, so good then... or perhaps not. Because of it's central location, this is a real party hostel, we must have got all of 3 hours sleep with people rolling in from pub crawls at various times, and then building work starting drilling at 7am. There is no soundproofing in the rooms surrounding the central common area, with shutters (which don't close) in the windows rather than glass.

We decided to go and ask if we could be moved to a quieter room, but were kept waiting at the desk for 5mins while the receptionist had her lunch in the back room. We explained the situation, and were quite bluntly told that the night manager hadn't said anything and there was no where they could move us anyway. No apology was extended. Lastly a cosmetic complaint, the inside of the building looks like a prison, think Shawshank Redemption type setting! All-in-all, if you value sleep when you pay for accomodation, then avoid this place!

Room Tip: Find another hotel?
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank StephandLawse

Travelers are raving about these Cairns hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed May 12, 2011

I had high expectations of this hostel when I arrived. They advertised free shuttle from the airport -- it wasn't. While still cheap at $5, it's inacurrately described on their website. They claimed to have the lowest tour prices in town -- they weren't. I was actually quoted a price higher than the brochure price so I booked my Great Barrier Reef tour at the nearby official visitor center. While the rate for a single room was very cheap, so was the accommodations. My mattress was tilted so it was very easy to get out of bed. The walls were very thin so I was frequently awakend by slamming doors (not the fault of the guests; it's just the way the locks were made). The showers had mounds of hair in several places. Just how often do they clean this place? Oh speaking of clean, Housekeeping is supposed to change linen and empty trash daily. They didn't. I had to put a note on my door to remind them to do so since I didn't get these services two days in a row.

Sure, the location was great, but there are many other accommodations nearby. Stay here only if you're a student or on a very tight budget. Otherwise, find another place.

Room Tip: Request a room away from the hallway!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
4 Thank mpjsalazar
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed April 23, 2011

very clean rooms and helpful staff at the reception. they were able to tell us all about different diving day tours which was great. we had dinner included in the rate. it was served in the whoolshed every evening which was also ok. when we had enough of the spag bol we could upgrade for any ala carte dish for only a few dollars more.
bottom line - it is a great spot for anyone who stays in Cairns and want to make the most of their holiday.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 14, 2011

I had a great time at Global Waterfront! I was planning on staying in Cairns for 3 nights but since they were running a special deal (pay for 3 nights, stay for 4) I decided to stay a 4th night. The room I got was great (air conditioned, and full of very nice, quiet people -- perfect!) and the staff was amazingly kind and helpful. I came into Cairns on the train and I was a little nervous about walking alone to the hostel at night. I called to make sure I knew exactly where I was going and Alex not only gave me directions, she also offered to call me back to check on me if I hadn't made it to the hostel yet. So nice!! She was so sweet when I checked in, answering all my questions and making suer I was set up in a good room, and the whole time I've been here she's been super friendly, always saying "hey Marie!" and asking how my trip is going every time she sees me. Irish is great too! He encouraged me to take a day trip to Cape Tribulation and I had a fantastic time! The rest of the staff has been very nice -- I'd say the staff and the location (right on the Esplanade, across from the lagoon) are the two reasons to stay at Global Waterfront. The only things I didn't like are the bathroom facilities -- they're not very clean and there need to be more hooks on the wall in the showers and bathrooms!! It's really hard to shower when there's only one hook (or in some shower stalls, none) and you have to hang everything over the shower curtain rod. gross. but I would definitely still come back here if I make it back to Cairns -- I'll just have to hope they fix up the bathrooms a little. also, I wish there were storage lockers in the rooms but thankfully I had a nice group in my room and didn't have to worry about anything getting stolen. and Alex offered to store my bags for free at the desk since I have a late flight and set me up with a $10 shuttle to the airport. I've had a great time here and I hope to make it back someday. Thanks so much!! =)

• Stayed January 2011, traveled solo