“absolutly amazing.”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Great Adventures

Great Adventures
Ranked #53 of 157 Tours in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: With Great Adventures you can explore the beauty of the Great Barrier Reef on any day of your holiday, be it at the spacious outer reef activity platform or the tropical reef and rainforest surrounds of Green Island. Cruises depart daily from Cairns aboard modern fast catamarans. All cruises are accredited with Advanced Ecotourism Certification, ensuring guests have the opportunity to learn about and appreciate this magnificent World Heritage environment.
“absolutly amazing.”
Reviewed January 23, 2011

wow, what an amazing day! The family and i headed out to the Great Barrier Reef as we have visited Green Island before.
Staff where extreamly helpful & friendly, the food was great.
I went scuba diving and snorkelling. Wow scuba diving was amazing! The best experience i have ever had!
Also what was the bosses name for scuba diving? He was very helpful and was very patient, he showed that he only wanted to help you and would go as slow as you needed to be able to adjust. Very good service.
I dont know where these people are coming from who only carry on about the negavtives! I couldnt pick1 negative about the day!. It was just brilliant! I will deffinatly be back around may! Thankyou very much. Please reply.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
San Francisco
“Wasn't what I expected, not very friendly service”
Reviewed November 12, 2010

I never knew Cairns was such a hot spot for Japanese tourists. The second we got on the ship, the TV showed all kinda of excursions that you could get. They were all in Japanese. It was interesting to watch regardless.

The boat served morning tea and coffee and it was very simple. The ride to Green Island was about an hour and we just sat inside for that leg. The tour wasn't much of a tour other than a mean of transportation. When they dropped us off at Green Island, there weren’t any suggestions on what to do or talks about the unique things about the island. The captain just announced the time to be back on the boat and where to get your scuba diving/snorkeling items on the island. Ok…so we figured things out ourselves since it's a very small island anyway. The rain forest was ok, didn't see any crazy animals but just birds. We walked to the very end of the island and found a remote beach spot all to ourselves. NICE! There was a crocodile show but it cost like $20 for admission. Since we got there around 10am-ish, a lot of the food vendors weren't open yet and we were starving. I have to say the beach/ocean is rather nice but I can't imagine spending the whole day there because I would be bored out of my mind.

By noon, we were back on the boat and on our way to the outer Great Barrier Reef for snorkeling. Again, no talks about the unique things about the Great Barrier Reef. The boat just dropped us off and expected us to know everything. We arrived at this platoon and you could get your snorkeling/scuba diving stuff right away. It's all self-serve. We rented the wet suit for additional $5 each to keep away from jellyfish. The sea was rather rough that day and made the snorkeling adventure not as fun. The visibility was alright. Couldn't see any corals but just fish.

Their so-called "gourmet" lunch was horrible. I didn't want to eat a bite of it. They had curry with rice, cold cut sandwiches that looked like they were from yesterday, fruits, and three kinds of salad. Bleh…it was NOT appetizing at all.

The platoon isn't all that big so there's really not much you could do other than the semi-submarine tour of the coral reef (which was probably the best part) and an underwater aquarium.

Overall, it was an adventure to go out to the Great Barrier Reef, but I'm not sure I want to pay $210 for it again. I would probably pay cheaper to go on a smaller boat but with more friendlier service.

QSGA, Manager at Great Adventures, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
We’re sorry to learn that your cruise did not meet your expectations. We take great pride in welcoming visitors from all over the world and while all of our onboard announcements are only in English, we do also provide material for our guests written in Italian, German, Japanese languages etc. We do take your feedback seriously and our Customer Service department has been advised of your concerns. It appears you may have been missed by the cruise attendants as each guest has their activities and day explained personally during the outward journey. There is also a daily reef presentation prepared by the marine biologist as well as a snorkelling demonstration onboard so if you were sitting outside, you may have unfortunately missed these. There is also a presentation with the marine naturalist in the underwater observatory. Despite the lunch not being to your liking, we would like to assure it is prepared daily for our reef cruises by a 5 star Cairns hotel. We do not serve sandwiches, they are not on the menu? As mentioned, we do value your feedback.

Brian Cave, General Manager, Operations.
Living room, Home
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Green Island is lovely”
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We went to Green Island with Great Adventures and spent a lovely afternoon on the island. The glass bottom boat ride was fun and we had a good time strolling along the paths and the beach of the island on our own. The sea was rough, but staff was very helpful and cooperative to help with our sea sickness. We especially appreciated the opportunity of a half day trip departing from Cairn at 1 pm. We were there for about 2.5 hours but thought it was enough.

1 Thank Yoga_Jade
Australia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“The reef was absolutely amazing, however, I'm not sure about the tour.”
Reviewed October 4, 2009

My partner and I did the Great Adventures Green Island and outer reef trip. It was truly amazing!! First we visited Green Island, where we hired snorkeling equipment and snorkelled off the beach. We then travelled to the outer reef by catamaran, based at a pontoon on the Norman reef. This was the single most spectacular experience!! The reef just blew me away. We then had the most beautiful buffet lunch.

However, I was extremely dissapointed that people were throwing litter of the boat, touching the coral, and when we left there was a disgusting film of oil on the surface of the ocean- right on the barrier reef!! I do not feel like this tour respected the heritage listed area. The tour was very impersonal, there were about a hundred people on our tour, and it felt as if the staff were just there to try and sell us stuff, instead of teaching us about the reef.

Overall, a great experience. But I would beware of the big, impersonal tours.

2 Thank hjane0
Melbourne / London
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“There Are Better Reef Day Trips Out There”
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I had visitors from overseas, we only had a brief time in Cairns so decided on the great adventures day tour to green island.

The plus points were that the weather was good on the day, and we had a basic buffet lunch & also a glass bottom boat trip included in the price.

I have to disagree with the previous review though, the customer service was not up to scratch. It started off when we were at the dock before boarding time, there was confusion about which boat who was going on (there were two boats taking passengers on the day) and staff were not helpful in directing people to the correct vessel, which resulted in a big queue to board the correct one. Whilst on board there was a small group of passengers smoking at the front of the craft. Someone commented to them about all the no smoking signs dotted around the boat which reulted in some condescending remarks directed at that person. When the staff were notified they couldn't have cared less, as they were busy going around trying to sell some extra excusrion(s)

I have been on better excursions to the 'inner' reef at similar price. I doubt I would choose to do a great adventures excursion again due to my experience of this operator.

1 Thank Nick_Thepom