“Green Island is lovely”
Review of Great Adventures

Great Adventures
Ranked #70 of 159 Tours in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: With Great Adventures you can explore the beauty of the Great Barrier Reef on any day of your holiday, be it at the spacious outer reef activity platform or the tropical reef and rainforest surrounds of Green Island. Cruises depart daily from Cairns aboard modern fast catamarans. All cruises are accredited with Advanced Ecotourism Certification, ensuring guests have the opportunity to learn about and appreciate this magnificent World Heritage environment.
Reviewed April 6, 2010

We went to Green Island with Great Adventures and spent a lovely afternoon on the island. The glass bottom boat ride was fun and we had a good time strolling along the paths and the beach of the island on our own. The sea was rough, but staff was very helpful and cooperative to help with our sea sickness. We especially appreciated the opportunity of a half day trip departing from Cairn at 1 pm. We were there for about 2.5 hours but thought it was enough.

1  Thank Yoga_Jade
in 7 reviews
"non swimmers"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed October 4, 2009

My partner and I did the Great Adventures Green Island and outer reef trip. It was truly amazing!! First we visited Green Island, where we hired snorkeling equipment and snorkelled off the beach. We then travelled to the outer reef by catamaran, based at a pontoon on the Norman reef. This was the single most spectacular experience!! The reef just blew me away. We then had the most beautiful buffet lunch.

However, I was extremely dissapointed that people were throwing litter of the boat, touching the coral, and when we left there was a disgusting film of oil on the surface of the ocean- right on the barrier reef!! I do not feel like this tour respected the heritage listed area. The tour was very impersonal, there were about a hundred people on our tour, and it felt as if the staff were just there to try and sell us stuff, instead of teaching us about the reef.

Overall, a great experience. But I would beware of the big, impersonal tours.

2  Thank hjane0
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I had visitors from overseas, we only had a brief time in Cairns so decided on the great adventures day tour to green island.

The plus points were that the weather was good on the day, and we had a basic buffet lunch & also a glass bottom boat trip included in the price.

I have to disagree with the previous review though, the customer service was not up to scratch. It started off when we were at the dock before boarding time, there was confusion about which boat who was going on (there were two boats taking passengers on the day) and staff were not helpful in directing people to the correct vessel, which resulted in a big queue to board the correct one. Whilst on board there was a small group of passengers smoking at the front of the craft. Someone commented to them about all the no smoking signs dotted around the boat which reulted in some condescending remarks directed at that person. When the staff were notified they couldn't have cared less, as they were busy going around trying to sell some extra excusrion(s)

I have been on better excursions to the 'inner' reef at similar price. I doubt I would choose to do a great adventures excursion again due to my experience of this operator.

1  Thank Nick_Thepom
Reviewed November 14, 2008

My sister and I took a day trip to Green Island and the outer reef with Great Adventures in early Nov08. It was worth every cent. We cruised out to Green Island which was as beautiful as the pictures. We had plenty of time to wander and explore before jumping on the catamaran again to head out to the pontoon on the outer barrier reef. When we got there everything was well organised and informed. We went snorkelling and took the semi submersible. I wish I had splashed out on an intro to dive course but maybe next time. I highly commend the staff who were excellent all day. My sister was slightly sea sick at one point and they noticed and assisted quickly and professionally. It turned what could have been a bad day into a great one.
I really could not commend their customer service or organisation highly enough. My only regret is that I wish I had time to do the similar experience off Port Douglas as it looks like when you snorkel at that pontoon, the reef is just below you. The spot we were at off Cairns it was many metres down and more accessible for divers.

Overall though, no complaints and a lot of praise for Great Adventures.

1  Thank SmallWorld747
See more reviews
Reviewed February 7, 2008

We did the Great Adventures outer reef tour in January. 1st stop was the Green Island where you had about 2 hrs to explore. Not enough time really since there were a lot of people about. Don't forget to bring insect repellant because there are a lot of mosquitos around. Snorkelling around the beach area was ok, nothing extra ordinary.

Then it's off to the outer reef (Norman Reef) and their pontoon. As most reviewers have noted, it is quite small for the number of passengers coming off the boat. The so called underwater observatory was a disappointment - I have seen better stuff in the aquariums in Sydney and Brisbane area. They have not bothered to clean the glass so it was dirty and difficult to see anything through the windows. My son said the same thing about their semi-sub tour which I didn't get to do because we just simply ran out of time.

If there's anything that you should do, it's the Scuba-doo especially if you have kids 12 yrs and older. It's the best way to enjoy the reef and the activity is run by a different company - much more helpful and accommodating. We even saw a turtle and one of the guides handed us a sea cucumber which my son really enjoyed. It's a little expensive but I think it's worth it.

After the scuba-doo, I went for a dive. It may be because it was the off season (Jan) but I think the Great Barrier Reef is grossly over-rated. Maybe it's different when you do the live-aboard dive boats but with this sort of tour, you don't get too many choices. Corals were more of the gray and brown shades. Fish, while plenty, were nothing out of the ordinary. Then to top if off, my divemaster (no else was doing any certified diving that day) just kept swimming around and around, not even going out of his way to show the wonders of the reef - if there were any.

By the time the dive was finished, I had just enough time to eat and change (if my wife had not set aside a plate for me, there was nothing left to eat) - therefore, I missed the semi-sub ride. If it wasn't for the scuba-doo, this would have been a very ordinary tour.

I would do a smaller tour next time - the only other choice we had didn't have the scuba-doo nor the dive option, just snorkelling.

3  Thank R0B77