“Overcrowded, non-English speaking”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Great Adventures

Great Adventures
Ranked #53 of 157 Tours in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: With Great Adventures you can explore the beauty of the Great Barrier Reef on any day of your holiday, be it at the spacious outer reef activity platform or the tropical reef and rainforest surrounds of Green Island. Cruises depart daily from Cairns aboard modern fast catamarans. All cruises are accredited with Advanced Ecotourism Certification, ensuring guests have the opportunity to learn about and appreciate this magnificent World Heritage environment.
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Overcrowded, non-English speaking”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I took the trip to the Great Barrier reef to snorkel and ride the submarine. The queue to the boat was EXTREMELY long so I was initially extremely nervous about the number of people sharing this 'Great Adventure' with me. To my dismay, once I finally got on the boat, I was one of about four English-speaking people aboard. Most everyone was Asian and from that point forward, many of our instructions were delivered in Mandarin first, then in English.
I started to feel seasick and the attendant who was handing out nausea bags and ice kept missing me. Finally, on the verge of sickness, a kind gentleman rushed over to her and begged her to help me. She treated him poorly and I felt completely embarrassed for ensnaring a Good Samaritan in her nonsense.
While I was sick, I had tourists bumping into me, climbing over my seat, and gawking around me because I happened to be seated near a window and they wanted the view.
I felt completely helpless like the staff wasn't doing anything to control the pandemonium.
Once we finally made it to the Reef, I was extremely disappointed in the lunch served. It was (no surprise here) mostly Asian cuisine with a bit of cold prawns. I was told it would be a "seafood feast."
I would suggest that fellow reef-seers choose a different tour. Perhaps this company could offer a tour in Mandarin and a separate English tour? Is that too much to ask? Or at the very least, could the crew be courteous?

Visited October 2012
2 Thank GabrielleTravels

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Perth
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 42 helpful votes
“Looking for Nemo”
Reviewed January 2, 2013

There were so many people queuing to go on the boat that day, but after we were loaded, it went well. Snorkeling at Green island was a bit disappointing because we did not see any coral or fish close by the shores. We were told by the lifeguard that you have to snorkel 100m offshore to do that. I would not dare as I am not a good swimmer.

We then took a different boat to go to the outer reef. There was a pontoon with a viewing platform that you can go anytime, a semi-submersible, snorkel and see the reef and lunch was provided.

I have not seen our friend Nemo in the Great Barrier Reef, but tell you what, I had a fantastic time seeing first hand why they rave about the Great Barrier Reef. A tick off my bucket list. I recommend that you check it out before it disappears.

If you are going, pay the extra to go to the outer reef as the $99 offer to go to Green Island to me is not worth it.

Visited December 2012
Tucson, Arizona
123 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“A great snorkeling experince”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

Snorkeling the Great Barrier Reef was a great adventure, made possible by Great Adventures Reef & Green Island.

The crew was outstanding, friendly, organized and helpful. The snorkel briefing was informative and helpful. You disembark to a lower floating dock where you change clothes, pick up your gear and proceed to the lower ramp to put on the flippers and get in the water.

The safety of the passengers was utmost. They wanted to know if you had a medical condition or prescription medicine that may be a problem. You give them the information and you are given a red floatation vest that stands out with all the yellow ones. Two life guards are alerted to pay attention to those with this vest.

The coral reef was outstanding and beautiful, with many large and beautiful fish. We didn't want to get out of the water because of the new and beautiful surroundings.

A very generous lunch was available when we completed the swim.

It was a great day, and a very memorable expierence. We highly recommend it.

Visited November 2012
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Great snorkeling. Had three kids 7 8 & 9 yrs old who had a great time snorkeling also”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

Good food more importantly great staff. All very friendly from the front counter to the on board staff. Highly recommend this service. I have been on quicksilver off port Douglas some time ago. This was better. Great for kids staff looked out for them.

1 Thank Geoevie
Bury St. Edmunds, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“Roaming the Great Barrier Reef”
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Had a great day on Norman Reef with this company. The organisation was perfect..even the snorkelling lesson gained a round of applause. The lunch was excellent which followed a memorable swim and snorkel around the reef.
The equipment was all good and lifeguards on hand to ensure safety.
A good day.