“Way to much food!!!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Atherton, Australia
“Way to much food!!!!”
Reviewed December 1, 2013

We went to dinner there last night, everything about the venue is very good. My only complaint/concern is the size of the serves, I had the lamb shanks, 2 shanks for one person, then along with mashed potatoes, peas and carrots, you could say good value for money $22.90 however, it was enough food for 3 people. They do not have a license to allow you to take the leftovers away, so 2/3rds of my meal was wasted. My advise is if you are going there, order one meal and share it, you will have plenty unless you need to eat for 3. In today's environment, with the number of hungry people why must we waste so much???? Wouldn't it be better to serve smaller meals or get a license to have take away for those who can't or don't want to eat that much?

• Visited December 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
“Massive Meals @ Decent Prices”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

I left Cairns 15 years ago and whilst I lived there, the Cock and Bull was a pub which we (group of friends) visited often. Returning with my husband and "talking up" the Cock and Bull, I'm glad it did not disappoint.
The meal size was massive, my husband could not finish his meal. The prices are very reasonable and the service is great.
Visit the Cock and Bull if you're hungry and want to enjoy a beverage in a comfortable and relaxed environment.

• Visited November 2013
Seattle
“Decent prices”
Reviewed November 12, 2013

We stopped to eat at the Cock and Bull. There's an enormous Redcoat standing outside the restaurant, so you can't miss it.
I wanted a salad and the soup of the day. That was ham and minestrone, very good, but I wish the bread that accompanied it was more than a dinner roll. Somehow, soup, even in a hot climate like Queensland, demands a hefty hunk of bread.
My salad was lackluster. I forgot to say no cheese (I love it but can't eat it). It came liberally covered with cheese. I tasted a few, oh, my , very good cheese...but I dare not eat it, not and go out into public later on.
My husband ordered the fish and chips. Quite the disappointment, the fish was Spanish mackerel, the species it seems every fish and chips plate I ate in Oz was composed of. Rather than a filet, his fish came in two long, skinny rolls, heavily breaded. This means it's been processed at least three times. Consequently it was overcooked and virtually tasteless. However his fries (chips) were perfect.
We didn't receive the plate groaners others have written about (meaning a lot of food). I left a little hungry.
Overall, decent pub grub but not up to the standards we have found elsewhere in Oz. Go if you're dying of hunger, but Cairns has tons of great restaurants.

• Visited November 2013
Melbourne, Australia
“Great Value and Good Food”
Reviewed November 6, 2013

Visited with wife and young daughter 3yo. Food was plentiful, good quality and very reasonable. i had lovely tender bbq pork ribs and still not sure how they loaded them all on my plate. Mrs had
Bangers and mash which was very good in her op[inion and from my small sampling. Daughter shared our meals. Staff friendly, only unusual thing was we had to order our meals from different places, if you wanted kitchen meal versus a grill meal ?

Visited October 2013
Melbourne, Florida
“Great”
Reviewed November 5, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic food at fair prices, always struggle to finish the meal. With decent beverage prices also who can complain. Highly recommend