“Big, but bland”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Cairns, Australia
“Big, but bland”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

The meals are huge, but unfortunately I was less than impressed with how the taste. I think it must be pretty hard to make a bad chicken parmigiana but they managed it. My vegetables were tasteless and straight out of the packet and the pepper sauce I ordered was bland and tasteless.

The atmosphere is nice and a few of my friends looked like they had good steaks on their plates. The portions were huge.

An odd thing about this place is that there are two counters at which to order food - steak at one and pub meals at the other. This isn't well advertised and I wasted about 10 minutes in the steak line before I was told that I needed to place my order at the other end of the pub.

• Visited January 2013

• Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Cairns, Australia
“Decent pub meals, but look out for rude security!”
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The food at the Cock and Bull is nothing spectacular, but if you're really hungry, their huge pub meals could be exactly what you want. A good range of chicken, steaks, bangers and mash, and even shepherd's pie which is not something I see in restaurants often. It's nothing special, but it's a good feed and my friends and I love starting a night out at the Cock and Bull.

However (I assume due to licensing laws), they have bouncers out the front checking IDs. This strikes me as odd, because I can't think of any other restaurants in the area that do this, but I don't really have a problem with it. The problem I do have is the attitude of the bouncers. There's no need for them to be as rude as they are to paying customers! And it's not an isolated incident either, this is a regular occurrence. I have no problems with having security on the door, but some customer service training wouldn't go astray.

• Visited December 2012
Dublin
“Good steak”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Decent food, if a little expensive for the average backpacker. The steak was good, and it was right beside our hostel

Visited January 2013
Cairns
“Good honest pub food”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Large meals - nothing fancy, but good honest pub food. Good value for meals and drinks. Staff are friendly and efficient. Ample parking available.

Visited January 2013
“Huge meals!!!”
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

My fam loves this place!!!
The meals here are massive. Everybody always gets a kick out of how big their meals are. Reasonable prices, plenty to choose from and have never had a bad meal.
Highly recommend :)