“J.J.'s Backpackers Hostel Is The Best”

JJ's Backpackers Hostel
Ranked #7 of 84 Specialty Lodging in Cairns
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I am TravelinAlan. I have visited 157 countries(see TravelersCenturyClub.org), staying in hostels all along the way. I don't lie, because at this stage of my life, I can't remember the lies.
J.J.'s is #1. Tracy and Simon run, in my opinion, the best hostel on the planet. They will treat you like family and you will feel like family. I have stayed with them 16 nights in 3 trips to Cairns. That J.J.'s is not in the center of Cairns is not a problem. Their shuttle bus will take care of you morning and night. If you miss it, no worries as the Aussies say, it is only a 15 minute walk from town. The breakfast will start you day and the free evening meal at the Woolshed is also included, which you can cheaply upgrade to something more substantial if you're really hungry.
J.J.'s is my choice, and should be yours, for your stay in Cairns.

Room Tip: The 3 share dorm is always my choice as a solo traveler.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
jjsbackpackers, Owner at JJ's Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded October 6, 2013

Alan, Alan, Alan, thank you soooo much for writing this review we truly do appreciate it! It is always a pleasure to see you and to hear about your latest adventures!
For someone who has traveled so extensively, it is an honor that you have chosen to stay with us on more than one occasion, thank you.
Until we meet again, safe travels and enjoy your next adventure x

There are newer reviews for JJ's Backpackers Hostel

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I was staying at JJ's for only a few days as a pitstop before heading out to the Great Barrier Reef on a trip and I made the right decision. The hostel is located in a quieter area of Cairn away from the hustle and bustle of the more centrally located hostels. This was ideal because it was much more calm and the hostel seemed to have a chilled out vibe. Other backpackers who were staying there mentioned that a good night sleep was certain at JJ's. In addition, what was great about the hostel was the staff! They were always willing to help you, whether it be booking a trip, asking for more bed linen etc, they were always very happy to help. But more than that you could strike up a conversation quite easily and they would tell you a bit about the local area and it's tourist destinations, giving you handy advice where needby. In particular I was very impressed with the service when I left a bag of mine at the hostel and they didn't hesitate to post it back to me! Really appreciated that. Overall the hostel has all the basic facilities you'd expect, but in a nice location and with exceptional staff! I would definitely recommend it to anyone stopping by Cairns! :)

• Stayed: August 2013

What a great review, thank you soooooo much!!!! It is really appreciated that you took the time to write this. No problem at all with sending your bag , we are glad it reached you before you flew out!
All the best and thank you again!

Reviewed September 4, 2013

a lovely hotel, lovely people and a lovely transfer bus, felt like a warm family. Beautiful scenery. Wish we could have spent more time there. Tracy and Jordan, you are sooo nice. Living in the hotel is the most pleasant and unforgettable experience during my travel in Australia.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
jjsbackpackers, Owner at JJ's Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

It is so great to receive amazing feedback like this, thank you so much.
We love that our "JJ's family" gets bigger and bigger everyday!

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I stayed at JJs as a solo female traveller in August 2013. I'd originally booked three nights, but fell in love with Cairns and JJ's so stayed two more! I got a brilliant welcome by Tracy at reception, who gave loads of advice on what to see and do and was just generally lovely throughout my stay! The hostel offers a free shuttle into town which was fab, and breakfast is included. They also give you vouchers for free meals for dinner at the Watershed in town which was brilliant! I stayed in a three bed dorm with two other girls, which was great - lots of space, and each of us had our own bed - NO BUNK BEDS!! Yay!! Bathroom and toilet were cleaned regularly, plus there was a great comfy chill out area for reading/watching tv. I'd highly recommend JJs to anyone coming to Cairns - a really welcoming, lovely hostel! :)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo

WOW, thank you soooo much for this fabbo review. We are so glad you had a great time here and felt at home with us.
We love what we do and always try to make sure all our guests have the best experience of hostel life and to enjoy our beautiful part of the world, Cairns!!
Safe travels and thank you again!!!!

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Best hostel I've ever stayed in, very helpful friendly staff, clean bed rooms, the bathrooms were immaculate. I could see my reflection in the toilet lid!This hostel is the right balance of both clean and fun which is very rare, if JJ's were a person, quite simply it would be Bette Midler. For it was 'The wind beneath my wings'. The pool is very charming, I had to get out of fear of expiring. The bbq area is very welcoming. I stayed for 6 weeks... it was the best relationship I ever had!

Room Tip: All the rooms are of equal greatness
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
jjsbackpackers, Owner at JJ's Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Ha Ha we love you, we do, Wayne!!!! Thank you so much for this very different review. What can we say.........................did you clean the bathrooms, per chance?

Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

I stayed there for 2 nights, which wasa great decision. As soon as we walked inside to the reception we were greeted by an extremely friendly receptionist who told us all about the hostel and the stuff to see in cairns. She gave us great advice with the great barrier reef trips, which we theneveb booked!! Our room was decent, just as any other hostel room in oz. Nothing too fancy. Aircon worked perfectly throughout our stay and referring to the other reviews on tripadvisor, we have no complaints about the shover or the breakfast. I can recommend the hostel to everyone who's backpacking their way through oz.

• Stayed: October 2012

Phew, thank you sooo much for your great feedback. It has made us feel a lot better than the last couple, let me tell you!
Just so you know, we did take on board these last reviews and are happy to say new carpets, freshly painted rooms have all been completed, as promised :o)
It is always good to receive our guests comments as we are constantly looking at ways to improve JJ's and your feedback always helps, thank you!!!!

We are sooooooooooooooo happy you enjoyed staying with us at JJ's!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed one night at JJ'S and couldn't wait to get out. A bit of background: We have been backpacking across NZ and AUS for the past 2 months and have stayed at about 8 places now. This was easily the worst.
We chose it because of its relatively high rating on TripAdvisor and were very disappointed.
Pros:
Friendly staff - polite, welcoming, and very helpful.
Reliable transport to town: Bus leaves on a regular schedule and is generally on time.
Dinner and Breakfast included is a good bonus.

Cons:
Our room was like something out of a prison camp. The carpet was shredded and falling apart, the walls were badly patchy, stained. The furniture was old and musty. We had to kill a roach too! Not to mention the mattress was springy and lumpy. Bed sheets were ok, but certainly not totally clean - we slept in sleeping bag liners. Not acceptable for $54!!!

The shower had no hot water at night which was very frustrating

The kitchen was small for the crowd at breakfast. I'm never going to complain about a free meal, but if your just giving frozen bread and cereal, at least have more than one toaster. There were about a dozen people waiting to toast their bread in an old dingy toaster.

On a personal note, the owner asked me the next morning how my stay was. And I told him we weren't happy, and that we were heading to another place. He first mocked our choice for our next place saying JJ'S was way better (which as it turned out was completely and utterly wrong), then said that he was renovating rooms and that ours wasn't done yet. I personally believe that if you pay 100 percent you should get a 100 percent. If he knew he put us in a crap room he should have discounted it

I would certainly warn anyone considering a place in Cairns to look elsewhere, you have LOTS of options

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank AspiringVagabonds
jjsbackpackers, Owner at JJ's Backpackers Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded August 4, 2013

Thank you for your and feedback. We are sad you did not enjoy your stay with us and have taken your comments into account to help us improve our hostel.
We are constantly maintaining the hostel and always looking at ways to make improvements.
We would also welcome guests to have a look around the hostel and in the rooms before checking in if they like.
We are proud of what we have achieved at JJ's and hope this review will not put you off coming to stay with us.