“An absolute must do!”

and up
Atherton Tablelands Rainforest Wildlife Tour by Night
Ranked #12 of 157 Tours in Cairns
More attraction details
Owner description: 'Wait-a-While Rainforest Tours' specialises in small group day and night rainforest wildlife tours. It is magical to be involved in seeing a wild animal unrestricted in its natural environment in the rainforest. We often see platypus, birds, possums, tree kangaroos, insects, frogs, owls, reptiles, various invertebrates and other animals on our tours. As a lot of Australian rainforest animals are nocturnal, a night element and spotlighting is included with a knowledgeable, enthusiastic guide.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Cairns, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“An absolute must do!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2013

I'm a local of Cairns and work in the tourism industry, and I would definitely recommend this tour. Terry tailors your tour and the commentary to each individual group (families, adults, etc) and his commentary was both funny and informative. Even as a local, I learnt heaps. He took us to places I would never had otherwise seen and found so many amazing animals I had never seen before. I had an absolutely fantastic day and am so grateful to have had the opportunity to see the rainforest and all its beauty the way Wait-a-While shows you. The food is also absolutely fantastic! Delicious scones ove698r the beautiful Lake Barrine and an actual restaurant dinner. Loved it.-------------

seattle
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A very memorable tour!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

We found Terry's guided rainforest tour quite outstanding! We started out knowing there were no guarantees of seeing any particular animal. And yet every aspect of this tour was special because our guide was able to communicate his deep knowledge and respect of the rainforest as a whole and its many individual parts. We appreciated the beauty and complexity of inconspicuous insects, reptiles and mammals, seeing each as a fascinating individual creature. Terry also made us aware of the amazing plant life, and pointed out things which we would surely otherwise have overlooked.
We had amazing luck, seeing three types of possums , a musky rat kangaroo and the extremely rare tree kangaroo. We also got to see platypuses for more than the split second they usually show themselves for.
Besides all this, Terry was simply great company to be with. He was a gracious host, fed us well and shared his love of the forest with us.
Would love to have a chance to tour again with Terry and recommend his tour unhesitatingly.

1 Thank Mary S
Cairns, Australia
3 attraction reviews
“Fantastic tour”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I had a great time on the wait-a-while tour. Terry taught us about all the local wildlife during our car journey, stopping off a few times on our way to the Tablelands to see interesting creatures so that the journey from Cairns to our destination whizzed by. We saw many more animals than I'd expected to see and learnt lots of about the local plants too. The food was all great and the night spotting was so enjoyable it would be worth the cost of the tour for that alone. We were also lucky enough to see a platypus, and Terry had a few sites lined up to ensure that if there was a platypus to be seen that day, we would see it. Thanks for a lovely trip

anonymous
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Rainforest Tour - Not at ALL what i expected”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 11, 2013

I'm very surprised to see so many good reviews for this tour especially for the tour guide Terry! I was very disappointed with this tour. Our travel agent had recommended this tour and I wish I had not done it. Right from the beginning of the tour, Terry was just rude and very unfriendly. He made very rude comments throughout the tour and I can tell he was definitely racist towards colored people. That's why I'm shocked to see so many good reviews because we did not have that kind of experience at all with him. I wanted the tour to end asap so I would not have to deal with him anymore. He made the whole day really horrible and untolerable. He did not seem like a people person and especially had a grudge against Americans. I hated this tour and Terry as well. He made the tour completely unbearable! He even told us to go to a path in the rainforest where there would be leeches and he would put the leeches on our skin and when we said we did not want to go there, he made fun of us?! I thought he was joking at first but he told us he was not. Just a horrible experience!

Visited March 2013
3 Thank anonymous864
Simsbury, Connecticut
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“ok but expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife and I toured with our two of our teenage children. Overall there were some interesting sights but we found the overall experience very slow paced and did not find enough to see which was worth the time or cost.

Visited May 2012