“Our favorite part of cairns!”

Fitzroy Island Adventures with Raging Thunder
Fitzroy Island Sea Kayaking
Useful Information: Lockers / storage
Useful Information: Lockers / storage
Reviewed December 8, 2014 via mobile

What ever you do - do not miss fitzroy island! We did the snorkeling and rainforest tours as well, but fitzroy was out favorite by far! We liked our tour with raging thunder. The lunch was really good, the snorkeling amazing and paddle boarding fun! Don't think that it's necessary to take the kayaking though, there was plenty to do anyway! It's probably possible to arrange this on your own, there are ferries! What we really really wished that we'd done was staying one night on the island. The resort looked amazing and wasn't too expensive. We just didn't want to leave the island! So if you have time and money, please stay one night on fitzroy (and then maybe just take the ferry over). But if you're just doing a day trip I really recommend raging thunders tour!

All reviews
in 7 reviews
"poor visibility"
in 5 reviews

Reviewed November 25, 2014

its a amazing island its a must do, money is worth is:) can't wait to go there back! nice kajakking and snorkeling

Reviewed November 24, 2014

We really enjoyed our day on Fitzroy. We visited the turtle rehab and learnt about the good work they do there, then trekked up to the lighthouse which offered wonderful views. After a very good lunch (if pricey) at Foxy's we did some snorkelling. This is a great little tropical getaway, and its easy to escape the tourists here.

1  Thank HellieNZ
Reviewed November 10, 2014

In fact i got bored writing this review and could go on for a few more pages so here's some points.

- dis interested guide
- very poor sea kayaking (total of 1.5km covered)

FOR WHAT YOU GET YOU CAN BUY SEPARATELY FOR MUCH CHEAPER - DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY

As per other reviews that big fun looking trampoline doesn't seem to exist either.

Do yourself a favour and do the research before you book this (i wish i had). What you are really paying for is 'sea kayaking' and a bit of snorkelling (oh and lunch). Plus the "guide".. However, our experience of sea kayaking was a complete round trip of.. 2km!! what a joke. Ok we had 2 people who could barely paddle there boat but for the other 2 pairs we were way ahead the whole time yet kept on a leash by the tour guide who was at best, slightly interested in being there.

Every part of the trip was dragged out from the beginining where it took almost 20 minutes to explain what a paddle was. This was a continuous theme throughout the trip. At the start i asked the guide how far round the island we would get, expecting a decent adventure. To which he replied 'half way', ha i could have walked the distance we want in 10 minutes.

In fact i could go on for a few more pages but I'm bored so here's some points.

- crap guide

3  Thank Luke S
See more reviews
Reviewed November 3, 2014

We booked with Raging Thunder in Cairns and truly I thought in the beginning I had made a mistake because I had travelling to Green Island on a day trip and left extremely disappointed with the snorkling and activities.
So I was not too confident when we left the jetty to head to Fitzroy Island...gladly I will admit, I was wrong, wrong,wrong and what was even better I went with a very well managed organisation.
Ok, why was Raging Thunder's day to Fitzroy Island so good.
The weather helped and this started at the booking in with the agent in Cairns. She said with confidence, due to the position of the island and the prevailing winds that were forecast for the day of the booking...snorkling, water activities were going to be good.
Plus she mentioned, that the winds would pick up in the afternoon, and there would be other activities to undertake...bushwalking, visiting the turtle sanctuary, if the water activities were getting rough.
So I and the other half booked a day to Fitzroy with lunch provided...and with lunch it was another sup prise.
How many times has a lunch consisted of a sandwich, a piece of fruit and a drink, after you have paid a couple of hundred for a day trip with a tour company.
We actually had a choice, so we got our lunch box, a 2 tiered hand salad sandwich, a chicken wrap with salad, a nut bar, a juice and a medium bottle of cold water.
Now if I had bought this in Cairns...$20.00 easy, and another thing, the sandwich and wrap has fresh bread and lebanese wrap and not soggy.
A bit tick to the cater that Raging Thunder use...well done.
Now for the activities...
The captain of the vessel we went with to Fitzroy Island, mentioned 2 areas and they were magnificent....colourful coral and abundance of fish on 20 mtrs off shore.
I bumped into a turtle feeding on the coral and was dumbstruck, 30 mtrs off the shore and there was a feeding green turtle.
The facilities were good as well, if you wanted to buy your own food, then there was the resort bistro and the prices were about 25% moor expensive than the mainland, but the portions were considerable.
We snorkelled for 4 hours, on and off.
The good part was that we could head to shore and sit under a tree, look at the beautiful scenery and talk about the snorkelling.
There was kayaking, bushwalking, swimming, trampoline jumping, beach fossicking all available if snorkelling wasn't your thing.
Then there is the little jewel on the Island, the Turtle Sanctuary run by a dedicated bunch of volunteers, pay $15 for a 1 hours talk and tour of the facilities and see the rehabilitation of the Green Turtle close up.
You have to book early, for all the tours book out very quickly...
Granted I had coped a great weather day, fine, low wind, easy swell, butb if the water activities did not turn out well, I could have gone for 2 or 3 hours bush walks.
I couldn't do that, sitting on a rocking boat on the outer reef, if the snorkelling didn't turn out well.
I am talking from a snorkelling activity point of view, because not all people want to do diving, where above water weather has a minor effect.
There is a report on the Island and there is camping available as well, so I will definitely be back to check the resort out for a couple of days.
Raging Thunder restored my belief in quality tour operators again within a very competitive Cairns Tourist Market.
Well Done.