“3.5 stars”

Reviewed February 14, 2012

EDWARD LODGE – Room 2
Purpose of stay: Business
Length of stay: 4 nights
In Brief: clean, quiet and more than adequate for a place to sleep, good location. The host Robyn was very warm and friendly and I appreciated her staying up to greet me, as I had arrived late at night.
Would stay here again

Set in the slightly bohemian suburb of New Farm Edward Lodge proved more than adequate for my needs. There is a shopping centre about 5mins walk from Edward Lodge with a large Coles supermarket, a few restaurant/café places and it’s also very close to the city ferry cat if you want to get into the CBD of Brisbane or taxi will cost about $30aud. Buses run frequently up and down Brunswick St making getting to the small bars, restaurants etc, pretty easy. If you have hired a car the street parking outside Edward Lodge is ok.

You enter through a large wooden gate into the garden/courtyard area with a timber footpath leading to the front door which is locked at night for safety reasons. Your room key also has a key that unlocks this door. The house is a Queenslander with timber floorboards and the accommodation spreads over 3 floors.

Know if you’re thinking “an English type of B&B”, then you maybe a little disappointed. It’s more a flashpacker or guesthouse type place without the noise and rowdiness. This is not a criticism however, just that if you expect to be greeted each morning by your host and shown to a table and have fresh toast and coffee made for you… well it’s more a DIY affair. Infact I admit to looking at the kitchen and the plastic containers of cereal and thinking “I might just grab a coffee and something to eat at a local café”.

My room had a Queen and single bed, aircon, tv (local stations) a small rack to hang clothes on and a bathroom with toilet and shower. Everything was clean and my room was even serviced on the second day (which I wasn’t expecting). The walls are thick and I can honestly say that it was very quiet. You will hear people walking on the floorboards but that’s not an issue. Safety is good with a big lock on the front door and a solid lock on my room door. All in all I would stay here again no problem at all.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank howzatperth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed February 8, 2012

You could almost walk by Edward Lodge, thinking it a nice, private home in a trendy, popular suburb. With a lovely oriental style garden it provides a neat, nice, homely atmosphere for a budget tariff. The room has everything you need including cute kitchenette and spotless bathroom. There's aircon, internet, TV, even bath robes. The location is incredible. A stroll to the trendy Merthyr Centre with Italian outdoor cafes and specialty shops and boutiques. The beautiful New Farm park with its display of roses and river views is just down the road. My tip as an Art Deco collector is to make sure you admire the exquisite exterior of the Coronet Flats-
one of the most beautiful Art Deco buildings I have seen in this world. City Cats leave from the park and will take you to the museums and galleries or the CBD. Anything else of interest like The Valley and Chinatown are a quick cab ride away. If, like me you love finding something wonderful for a few dollars, Fortitude Valley has several trendy, upmarket second hand shops.
Overall, bargain accommodation in an amazing location!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington
Reviewed January 21, 2012

Edward Lodge was clean and comfortable - not flash, but reasonably priced, so no worries there. Managers were friendly and the location was great for our visit.

We had a few hiccups as follows:
- We arrived one night late as our flight was cancelled and as we didn't give 48 hours' notice (we gave notice as soon as possible - that morning), we were charged for the missed night. This is understandable, but still frustrating.
- Our credit card was charged in NZD, when we specifically loaded AUS dollars onto our travel card - it meant we lost out on the exchange rate twice, costing us an extra $30, which again, was annoying. I don't know how we would have prevented this (we just handed the card over); but if you're using a pre-loaded currency card, make sure you're charged in the right currency before signing!
- The A/C was broken in our room on the last night and no other rooms were available - it was about 25 degrees, so with no fan, we didn't get much sleep.
- The bread for the self-serve breakfast was moldy.
- Other guests woke us up a few times, but that's not the hotel's fault!

All in all, an ok visit - had we not had the hiccups above, I would have given a higher rating.

Room Tip: The family suite (ground floor) is nice and large, but late-night kitchen users who don't shut t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney
Reviewed December 27, 2011

There was a full house at my mother-in-law's place this Christmas so we were just looking for a place close by drop our suitcases and sleep. Edward Lodge more than fit the bill - it really was like a home away from home. We were in and out so quickly though that we really didn't get the chance to enjoy the features of the place, such as the gorgeous garden (I caught a glimpse) or the breakfasts offered. The owners were so kind and accommodating - we arrived early on Christmas Day, before our room was ready, but the owners very kindly kept us informed and called us as soon as it was ready.

Apart from the convenience of the location for us personally (just being a round the corner from my mother-in-law's), it is located right near the cute New Farm shopping strip and it is only a short walk or bus ride to Fortitude Valley or ferry ride to the city.

My only criticism of the place is that the sound insulation isn't fantastic, but that would be the trade off for having beautiful timber floors in a large converted house. The hustle and bustle of people getting up, getting showered and checking out isn't conducive to a sleep-in, but otherwise, this is a wonderful, friendly place to stay. We'll definitely be returning.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank Jordan B
Queensland
Reviewed May 21, 2011

Visiting my sons in Brisbane & came across Edward Lodge, a great find for easy accommodation for a short stay. New Farm is a lovely area with coffee shops, cafes easy walking distance. Hosts are very welcoming & present very clean accommodation, the best thing was fresh milk for my cup of tea! Will stay again.....

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fairymeadow
Perth
Reviewed May 6, 2011

This accommodation feels like a "home away from home". It is particularly good if you want to stay for more than a few days in Brisbane. Noel and Robyn are helpful and friendly hosts. Location is fantastic. New Farm is beautiful and everything you need for an extended stay is close by. Methyr Village has a coles supermarket and good little coffee shops. Can recommend this!

Room Tip: Ask for a discount for an extended stay
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 10, 2010

The service was friendly. The manager, Noel, carried my case up the stairs when I arrived and down again when I checked out. This seems to be a rarity in other places.

The deal includes breakfast, but it is self serve and very basic fare. I don't have a problem with this, but it is worth knowing that if you expect more.

The hotel is very clean and quiet. I put high value on both of those things. As observed by others, you need to ask if you want towels etc changed before a week is up. I was asked every day if there was anything that I needed so that I was comfortable.

It is time that Edward Lodge traded in the old TV sets. The remote only operated when we were standing close to the set.

I like New Farm very much. It's close to the City Centre and you can reach most things by City Cat.

There is free internet, but it disappeared for 24 hours. I hope this was a one off.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo