“Underwhelmed.....no magic happening here”

Alchemy Restaurant and Bar
Reserve with
Alchemy Restaurant and Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #67 of 4,297 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: European, Australian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Scenic view
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Alchemy Restaurant and Bar is a unique Australian dining experience. Located in a stunning position on the Brisbane River, the venue has an atmosphere of relaxed elegance inspired by the exquisite cuisine and the spectacular views. Perfect venue for private functions and special occasion. Owners, Brad and Angelica Jolly, have had a wealth of experience in restaurants in Australia and abroad. They are driven by a philosophy that incorporates the traditional values of exceptional service and the highest quality produce. They have consistently maintained Alchemy's commitment to quality. Voted Best Restaurant with the Brisbane Locales.
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Underwhelmed.....no magic happening here”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2013

Deciding on a place for Valentine's Day this year and based on the reviews thought that we would book into Alchemy for dinner. Booking was easy and advised that it would be a set menu for the evening as well as 3 separate sittings, which I thought was okay given that it would be a busy evening.

We booked the last sitting at 8.30pm and arrived around 8.15pm to find the place not too busy at all. Bar staff were friendly and helpful and we were under any pressure to get to our table.

The menu looked really good from the start - entree, main and dessert. We ordered cerviche of kingfish / pork belly for entree, beef cheeks / lamb shanks for main, and chocholate / cheeseboard for dessert. The cerviche was sensational but the pork belly was a real let down in flavour and too much sauce which overpowered everything. The beef cheeks were very overrated and given that this is now the "in thing to serve" we were left very disappointed given that we raise our own cattle and have cooked beef cheeks at home for many years. Lamb...well nothing too much to write about.

Dessert....well...looking around at the other couples and on the waiters recommendation we went the chocolate dessert. Looked good when it came out until I tasted what looked like ice cream and just about put it back on the plate !......disgusting taste and flavour....and my partner agreed. I had to ask the waiter and he said it was milk sorbet (of course I should have read the menu)......all I can say is that it must have been made from sour milk !!

Accompanying the dinner was a bottle of Riesling from SA and knowing a thing or two about wine it wasn't bad but it wasn't good either. In fact, we did not finish our glasses over dinner so that was a bit disappointing.

As far as atmosphere goes for the evening....poor, poor and poor. The place definitely lacking in a decent atmosphere and mood lighting. The table was dressed very poorly with salt and pepper shakers like you have at home. Small bowls of salt grains and crushed pepper would have been quiet at home.

Overall experience was underwhelming given all the recommendations that I had read.

Service was okay but I don't think that we will be back. Would we recommend this to our friends??...probably not. Alchemy.....sorry but the magic just didn't happen.

• Visited February 2013

Rockhampton, Australia
“Alchemy Wows us every time we pay for the experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

We have eaten at Alchemy on 3 ocassions over the past 2 years and each time we have walked away so happy & wowed by the food & experience. This restuarant is excellent. Since travelling to brisbane consistently over the past 6 years we have visited most of the "recommended" restaurants in the CBD. Alchemy is the ONLY restaurant in my phone contacts. Great eating experience & river views.

• Visited February 2013
Main Beach, Australia
“Wonderful night out”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2013

Probably the restaurant in Brisbane... that I've been to anyway.
Had a great night out. An excellent menu and dishes were well presented.
Little expensive, but well worth the prices.
Service was great, very prompt and attentive but not annoying.
Will be back.

• Visited January 2013
Brisbane, Australia
“The most romantic restaurant in Brisbane”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

I cannot stop singing the praises of Alchemy. Took my fella there for his birthday and from the moment we arrived, we had courteous service from friendly staff, I think they were Casey and Penny. We had beautifully positioned table overlooking the Brisbane River with lights dancing across the waters from the Story Bridge and high-rises. It was the second time we've dined at Alchemy and it definitely won't be our last. The food was amazing. Oysters Kilpatrick were Moreton Bay oysters with a liberal topping of rich, yet light tomato and bacon topping. The best I've ever tasted. My fella had the beef cheeks and still can't stop talking about them. The duck breast was lovely but I couldn't eat it all after the oysters - yum. Then, we were completely surprised with a little tasting plate of macaroons and a chocolate message wishing my fella a Happy Birthday. That was so special and I'd only mentioned that it was his birthday to the person who took my booking and was not expecting anything special. Special it was! As we were leaving, head chef Adam stopped us at the door for an impromptu taste of his proud new creation, the 'Liquid Nitro Gastro Nibbles'. What the? He froze teaspoons of dessert creams flavoured with fruits and coffee into crunchy, cold candy for us to try, including one that tasted just like the strawberry ice creams at the Ekka. Our dining experience at Alchemy is now frozen in our memories as the best in Brisbane. We will be back.

• Visited January 2013
4 Thank Breaksarestuffoflife
Brisbane
“Amazing”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

This would be my favourite Brisbane Restaurant. The location is stunning, food incredible and the service amazing. The staff are very accomodationg for special occasions and will go the extra mile to make it more memorable.
You must try the liquid nitrogen dessert - that is just out of this world!

• Visited August 2012