“Great Value, Great Location, Convenient . . . again!”

Powerhouse Apartments & Terraces
Powerhouse Apartments & Terraces
Ranked #100 of 128 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
“Great Value, Great Location, Convenient . . . again!”
Reviewed February 3, 2013

In early January, stayed at the Powerhouse Apartments & Terraces for a really nice 4 nights. Last time I was on business, this time with my wife. I haven't reviewed a place twice before, but this place is such good value and well located, thought I would. You simply cannot get accommodation of this standard and convenience in Brisbane for this price. We booked on Wotif - very easy. And if you wanted to, you could prepare your own meals to save even more - there's a fully equipped kitchen with dishwasher - that looked quite new. There's a convenience store just a few doors down. This time we explored the local New Farm restaurants and Cafes - all within easy walking distance. In fact, the Bitter Suite Restaurant is on the corner within 50 metres. (see my restaurant reviews). I said I would be back and glad we did - this time it won't take 2 years.

Room Tip: Unit 26 was very nice. North facing, Nice decor, Leather lounge. iPod dock stereo. DVD player.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Met-in-LA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2012

What a find!!! We would highy recommend staying here
Great self contained rooms with cooking facilities, clean tidy and quiet. Very reasonable pricing as well.
Close to a shopping centre, restaurants along Brunswick Street and easy walking distance to both buses and the CityCat to the city. We ate at an Indian place and were really happy with the food but there are plenty of other options within walking distance. Also handy to the city and the lovely Southbank precinct.
There is a lovely park between Brunswick and Lamington Streets with an arts centre, bar and a couple of restaruants on the riverbank. Enjoyed a quiet drink at the bar watching the sun set.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
sydney
Reviewed March 15, 2012

As everyone has said, the apartments are great. They're clean and comfortable. The pool area is very nice. Its a mixed residential and holiday building and there aren't many people about. The bathroom is clean and functional. The bedrooms were a bit stuffy and the fan had this really weird noise so we opened a window for fresh air. This then meant a bit of street noise filtered through in the early hours of the morning, but really, it was no big deal.

As others have mentioned, don't stay here if you want help or someone at the front desk. Because there was no literally no one on site the whole time we were there. This did not bother us but may bother others. The managers have another building they look after and I think they stay at that site.

The one thing that did bother me was that I rang to book and the phone was never picked up. It went straight to answering machine whether you rang at 9am, 1pm or 5pm. And they never rang me back. It was so annoying. I rang daily for about 3 days until I gave up and booked on Wotif. Such a weird way to run a business. When I got the mobile number from Wotif and finally got rang back (yes, it went straight to voicemail) they said they couldn't understand my message. Understandable I suppose but haven't they ever heard of call divert? Divert the phone to their main/mobile number and pick the bloody thing up when it rings!

Anyway, once we got the booking done and we managed to get a seemingly reluctant manager to meet us at the building (she wanted the taxi to drop us at her other building (!)), everything went perfectly from that point.

I'd still recommend staying there if you don't mind putting up with a bit of frustration to book.

New farm is a fab location

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank laney_o
New South Wales
Reviewed September 5, 2011

We stayed for 2 nights on a weekend city-mini-break & chose New Farm due to all our familiar haunts in the inner-city / southbank / west end being booked out for the Bledsloe Cup. Sometimes it doesn't hurt to stretch the boundaries of your comfort zones! We'd never been to New Farm before and the Powerhouse Apartments ticked all the boxes - central, comfortable, quiet, clean, great staff. A short stroll one way to the amazing Powerhouse itself (fab farmers' markets, exhibitions, live music, theatre, cool bar) & the RiverCat, another short walk to the eateries lining Brunswick street all the way up to Fortitude Valley (Portofino has excellent modern Tuscan food). Plus the gorgeous, quirky Cafe Bouquiniste in New Farm village - crazy mismatched cutlery & crockery and dynamite coffee & food. We left our car there the whole weekend and had no trouble getting around by RiverCat, buses & walking. There's even one of the 104 CityCycle DIY bike hire stands right in front of the apartments - and a bike path all the way from New Farm to Southbank. That will have to be next trip ..... we will certainly stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 10, 2011

As a seasoned business traveller, the Powerhouse Apartments and Terraces were a breath of fresh air. Outstanding quality product, true value for money. Everything you need is there and more. Great location and I will definately be a repeat customer and if you are looking for somewhere in Brisbane to stay, I would strongly recommend you give them a run.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 19, 2010

I stayed at a 1 BR in the Powerhouse Apartments and Terraces for 2 weeks on business. Absolutely brilliant location near the valley, city Cafe's and Restaurants. It really is the best of both worlds being in a relatively quite location, but quick access to the city. Most mornings, I went for a jog around the river boardwalk, just a few minutes away. I also used the Gym and pool a couple of times. The apartment is decked out with a full kitchen if you feel like cooking your own meals and has a washing machine and dryer to help keep your suitcase to a minimum of clothes. It was clean and tidy with a nice balcony overlooking the tree-lined street. Not sure about the other reviews, but Val at reception was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I highly recommend the Apartments to anyone staying for business or pleasure. I'll be back!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed June 27, 2009

We stayed for a week in a one bedroom and found for the money and location it was a fantastic venue. Easy to get to transport vie river or bus.
Yes it does not have a reception desk manned like a hotel but when we needed the manager she was available...for us it was perfect and with no manned desk felt less like a hotel and more like a home!!!
For some this is good and for some not...
We will definitely say again...

• Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple