“party: yes, sleep: no”

Ranked #27 of 128 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Queenstown, New Zealand
“party: yes, sleep: no”
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I checked into Bunk, coz I thought it could be a good place to meet people, but it's just too big and anonymous, has no atmosphere and is very loud.

I booked a ten bed dorm for eight nights. The mattress was very good and comfy, but the bed instable and squeaking with every little move.The room had an ensuite bathroom, but no direct daylight. Chilling out in my $25/night bed would have been very depressing. The aircon worked good, even at night, but was unfortunately very loud.
They promise reading lights on every bed, but no light ball to see. So I asked at reception three times, they seemed motivated, were very friendly, but nothing happened. I wouldn't have bothered, if they had a proper lounge area to read a book or just chill. The TV room looks a bit like a cinema, but is closed at 10.30 pm.
The bar area is not very comfy either. The pool is too small for so many guests and even around there is no chance to find a spot for proper sunbathing.
Lockers are provided, but are located on the hallways and are single-use, that means you pay $2 whenever you wanna lock it. Of the lockers provided 2/3 seem to net even have a lock anymore.
The key card system, which is typical for such a huge hostel, brings very loud doors with it. Even when you try not to slam, closing the door quietly was not possible.
People were very noisy on the hallways until late, but at least I didn't hear the music from the bar downstairs.

They have house beers and spirits in their bar, but in general drinks are impertinent expensive ($8.50 for a pint from the tap in a backpackers bar? Why not make a discount for guests??).

The voice-over announcements are very annoying, as they are way too loud and it's always the travel agent who wants to sell you 'the cheapest' tours at 11am, which is not the worst time, but on one side they want you to spend your money in the bar at night and on the other side they wake you up unwanted. Some people work at night, some might be sick, some have already noisy kids in their room! So why bother them with these announcements?

The kitchen downstairs is very spacious, has a big dining table and comfy chairs. They have plenty of plates and about six pots and pans and a few cutlery. Perfect for someone who likes cooking their own food NOT. Remember they have more than 320 beds and are often fully booked!
There are four fridges, three are working. That is obviously not enough, they can't even be closed, coz they're overfilled with food bags. The toaster doesn't work, which they apparently knew for a while.

The hostel was clean on surface, but quite run down.
I am not sure, if the toilet/bathroom was cleaned daily. It is generally not very well look after, you find heaps of rust and dirt, if you look closer, cushions in the bar area are gross and broken.

One evening I sat in the bar to watch a rugby game. I have already been there for more than an hour, when security threatened to kick me out, because I brought my own 1.5l water bottle. Water is for free at the bar anyway, but I would have to queue and I didn't want to miss the match. I had to wait very long to get a drink, because only one of the two bars was open and it was quite busy. I promised not to drink my water anymore until the match was finished 20 mins later, but he still wanted me to bring it back into my room. Absolutely not neccessary!

On a Sunday morning the entry through to the kitchen was closed for public, so we had to wait for security to let us in. Why not use the key card system here too and position a bouncer on the entry to the Sunday Sesh, or whatever it was? Not very well organised!

All in all no value for money. I am not surprised their last award (e.g. Golden Backpacks or Hostelworld) was two years ago.

Most of the staff was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank 1981Julie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Dubbo, Australia
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Booked a 2 bedroom apartment and travelled 9 hours to get there only to be told that it was not available due to them renovating it and was given a 4 bed dorm which had some gooey stuff with hair in it on the sheets. Talked to the manager the next morning and she apologised and gave us our money back

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Lisburn, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I moved here during my last 3 weeks in Australia before flying back to Ireland and I only wish that I had spent more time in the Valley than in the City. BUNK is in a great location, and is a clean and comfortable, yet funky and stylish social-orientated hostel with lots to do. The rooms are comfortable, the bunks having that little bit more privacy than many other hostels and the female dorm I stayed in had a seperate ensuite and seperate shower room which was great, plus we all had our own lockers (provided you had your own padlock to lock them with!)

The bar/club downstairs, Birdees, was always packed at the weekends, plenty of locals about, and I made some great friends there. The huge bird cages with tables in made great places to relax during the day or in the evenings and quite often large groups would gather in there and someone would crack out a guitar for a cheesy sing along. fun times!

The hostel staff do their upmost to involve everyone; I always looked forward to the hilarious voice-over announcements into the rooms where some guy at reception would try and coax everyone down to the bar. The sense of being welcome was great in this hostel.

Plus, there is a swimming pool and hot tub - cant lose! and you can book all your day trips at reception at discounted rates (do the brisbane whale watching tour - you wont regret it!)

Room Tip: pick a room with an ensuite, or one away from the bar!
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rawrcher
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Nice staff, lots of facilities and resources available for guests. Bar was good and lively.
Beds had partitions to enhance privacy, and each bed had its own powerpoint and shelf which was really helpful. Good stay all in all :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Noosag
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We booked our 1 night stay at BUNK online a couple of days before we arrived for a mixed 4 person bunk bed room. We were shocked when we arrived that we were upgraded to our very own personal loft style suite for not extra charge! We got a kitchen and washroom to ourselves, it was a 2 story loft with a great view of the Valley. The room and rest of the hostel is very clean and had a lot of character. There is washing and drying facilities for $3 each, and free dinner from Monday - Thursday (yummy!). It looks like there was really cheap food the rest of the week as well. We stayed for a free comedy show which was actually really good! They have a club right beside the restaurant with $10 jugs of beer. The staff was super helpful and booked our bus tickets for us, and even drove us to the station. Overall it was a great experience and I would recommend this hostel to anyone. We will hopefully be back soon!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank becki c
tacoma, washington
Reviewed July 17, 2012

Arrived the night of State of Origin. They did a good job of creating a festive atmosphere, and the free steak dinner helped. The front desk was very helpful and they have a good travel/activities desk. It's what you'd like to see in a hostel when in a new city for the first time.

The rest of the hostel is not remarkably anything special, though. The rooms, lounge area, city location, are average.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank revreggae
Reviewed July 4, 2012

This was the worst hostel i've ever stayed in in my whole life. to start with the staff are very unhelpful and unprofessional. my friend came to visit me and she asked where she could park. they simply shrugged, clearly not caring because she wasn't staying at the hostel. also i think the staff who were running around shouting about how hungover they were and how they couldnt be bothered was a tad unnecessary. the room we were in was absolutely disgusting, bugs everywhere, no windows and absolutely stank. we spent very little time in there due to this. in addition the lockers are $2AU every time you use them, absolutely ridiculous way of trying to make money. when i went to 'reception' to enquire the lady just threw a $2 coin at me - RUDE! one of the bouncers was also extremely rude to a friend of mine which completely ruined our stay there - real cherry on top of the cake, his name was mitchell i think and his comportment was disgraceful - will never return and have warned people to never go. plenty of other, better backpackers!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo