“Great for those moments of craving”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Makanan Indonesia

Makanan Indonesia
Ranked #1,270 of 4,294 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Indonesian, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Waitstaff
Brisbane, Australia
“Great for those moments of craving”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2012

I would say most good Indonesian restaurants are in Sydney and Melbourne, but Makanan Indonesia (which literally translates to Indonesian food) is something Brisbane could be proud of. We come here occassionally when I am having those moments of craving (born and grew up in Indonesia) and we always leave satisfied. The last visit was last week where we ordered kwetiaw goreng; nasi campur with beef rendang and tempe belado to share. Could not finish the whole lot so the leftovers went home with us. Whilst it might not be the most excellent Indonesian food I have ever tasted (for that you would really have to be in Indonesia), it does the work for me. The beef rendang tastes authentic; love the tempe and tahu dishes; and the bakmi Jakarta is nice too. You would not go here for the atmosphere, but the place reminds me of so many restaurants in Jakarta with the same vibe. Simple and quick - no fuss. Certainly better than Jakarta Indonesian Restaurant at New Farm. Will return for more.

• Visited April 2012
1 Thank JIG80

Australia
“Great find in Brisbane's West End”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

Small Indonesian restaurant in Brisbane's West End. Nothing fancy but great food. Sotomie Jakarta is the signature dish. Take the kids and the owner, Ken, will entertain them with his magic tricks. Great food at reasonable prices. Suggestion: go to the West End Farmer's Market on a Sunday morning then walk up to Makanan for lunch after.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank Peter F
Brisbane, Australia
“Unsatisfactory”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2012

The last time we were here we were impressed with the food. Recently, when we returned, we ordered a similar meal; however the taste was not the same. I'm Indonesian so I know how Indonesian food should taste. The portions were very small and the food tasteless. Seems like food that had been stored before being served to us. Also, there is very little ambience. If they are trying to replicate an Indonesian restaurant they have failed. Everything is plastic and all signage amateurish. I'm a proud Indonesian and don't like to see my culture and food disrespected. We eat out often and have never had reason to post our concerns about restaurants before. We will never be back.

• Visited February 2012
9 Thank Junevioleta
the Goldie
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2012

My girlfriend and I thoroughly enjoyed everything makanan had to offer. The food was awesome, the service quick and friendly. The atmosphere was truly topped off with Mono providing his own style on easy listening hits. Will definitely be back.

Brisbane
“good fresh light and tasty”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2009

The host Mimi and her fresh and light but very tasty makanan is pure delight

2 Thank trevortango