“Lovely restaurant, great staff & wonderful food”

The Walnut Restaurant
Reserve with
The Walnut Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #84 of 4,325 Restaurants in Brisbane
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Walnut Restaurant is found within the historical Royal on the Park Hotel overlooking the Botanical Gardens. In a lovely location opposite the Botanic Gardens both hotel and restaurant are steeped in tradition. The Walnut Restaurant Brisbane offers Brisbane's best fine dining experience that other Brisbane city restaurants simply cannot compare to. Elegance returns with shimmering Egyptian crystal chandeliers, polished Walnut wood paneling with gold trimmings and leather seating. With our exquisite a la carte menu and only the very best of service, we offer a charming and relaxed atmosphere for our diners. In addition a series of special functions are held - our chefs design a weekly degustation menu, available every Saturday with paired wines chosen by our Sommelier to provide the ultimate dining experience. At The Walnut we set out to surprise with both our quality of food and levels of service, For bookings please call us on 07 3112 1650. The Walnut Restuarant won the Bronze Medal at The Australian Culinary Federation Salon Culinaire 2011, Jimmy Sawyer Restaurant of the Year Competition and in 2016 a ‘certificate of excellence for service’ from Tripadvisor.
Qld
“Lovely restaurant, great staff & wonderful food”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

We dined at The Walnut during our stay for a conference. The meals were really great, as it was a group booking both night's meals were alternate drop, I eat my steak well done & as the steak was very rare I swapped with the person next to me (as you do!) apparently the steak was cooked to pefection and very good. Both my meals during our stay were very nice (pork one night, chicken the next) and quite filling, often I find the portions at a high end restaurant are small but we were certainly not left hungry!
If you are looking for a lovely atmosphere, great food and somewhere a little fancy I'd highly recommend The Walnut Restaurant!

• Visited March 2013
Rudy C, Manager at The Walnut Restaurant, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad to be able to make a positive difference to your conference held recently at the Royal On The Park Hotel. Our Executive Chef, Rhian Rodrigues, has specially designed menus that cater to large groups in the Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar and is a wonderful change of atmosphere for our conference delegates. Our rich walnut wood paneling and polished grain tables with leather-clad chairs offer a glimpse of old-world European luxury and charm.

We hope you will return soon to try our new 2- and 3-course Monthly Set Menu promotion starting this Easter weekend, featuring Traditional Spanish Paella with Lemon Agrumento.

“High Tea”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Bought a voucher for the high tea, sometimes when you use a voucher the quality or quantity of the service/food is not up to standard not with the Walnut restaurant. Restaurant has a great feel and has just been refurb and looks great, staff good and High Tea was fabulous. Even if you dont use a voucher book anyway well worth a visit.

1 Thank o12
Rudy C, Manager at The Walnut Restaurant, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Guest,

We are glad that you enjoyed our recent Royal High Tea with us. Our recent voucher offer met with overwhelming demand and is available throughout the year (bookings essential).

With complimentary car parking (conditions apply) and free WiFi whilst dining in the Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar we hope you will join us again soon for lunch or dinner.
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“WOULD definintely go again!”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our dinner at the Walnut restaurant was a night to remember.
The entre bread platter was fabulous with the cheese, pesto and warm olives. Quality was great and service was amazing; very thorough and pleasant.
The main was what sealed the deal for me. Steak and scallops; Scallops and steak cooked to perfection. I oredered medium rare. It was thick and juicy; not so much rare in the middle.
It was very juiscy and the cocktails were a very nice touch.
(other restaurants sometimes have a very rare middle and puts you off eating the whole thing)
Portion wise there was nothing more to say other than IT WAS VERY FILLING!.
I was happy with the proportion of vege to meat to sauce.

The coctails and wine list is fab. Penfold Dessert wine was a good way to end the night

Dear Guest,

Your kind words truly humble us. We are so happy that you enjoyed your dining experience at the Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar.

Our Filet Steak & Scallops has been the most requested item from our menu. Our Black Angus eye filet is sourced locally from the Darling Downs and most of our guests agree that it is the tastiest and most tender steak they have enjoyed recently. Our scallops are flown in directly from Hokkaido, Japan. Grown in pristine waters and famed for its size and natural sweetness, it is the first choice amongst sashimi chefs and is guaranteed to dance on your palate and melt in your mouth.

You'll be glad to know that our cocktail specialist, Stuart Hamilton, has revised his list and our new beverage menu features many delicious concoctions to thrill your tastebuds. We hope you will join us again soon and do remember to sign up for our complimentary Royal Rewards Card on our website before your next visit!
“Celebration Dinner”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Dined at The Walnut Restaurant last night (22/02/2013) to celebrate my 11year old's School Captaincy achievement. My 11yo Daughter chose this restaurant from the trip advisor top ten rated Brisbane restaurants and my family all agree that this was a wonderful choice.
The food was beautiful, the staff were professional and the Executive Chefs even came out to talk to us at the end of our meal and were lovely. We were made to feel very special, our 11yo in particular.
Thank you for a great dining experience. NB: Parking is free if you spend over $100.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to dine at our Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar recently. We are really happy that we were able to help celebrate your daughter's excellent achievement.

Our current a la carte menu has been garnering rave reviews and your kind words is a source of pride and motivation for our Sous Chef, Frederick Marechal, who is continuously amazing us with his French culinary fare which was honed in Michelin-star restaurants in France and Monaco over the years. Do keep an eye out for his menu launching soon which will feature a section of his Signature Dishes. We hope to be able to host you and your family again very soon!
Brisbane, Australia
“Disappointing and underwhelming Valentines day vist”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

After reading the rave reviews on Trip Advisor, we selected The Walnut to eat at for Valentines Day last Thursday. We were overall rather disappointed and underwhelmed with the experience.

My husband had made a booking around three nights earlier (and had in fact had a detailed conversation with the employee from the restaurant as to the menu options, parking etc), however on our arrival it became apparent that there was no record at all of our booking. Luckily, after some discussions between the staff members there was a table available for us. Unfortunately, the table we were taken to seemed to be quite possibly the worst table in the restaurant, a small table with harsh lighting which was tightly shoved right in the corner of a back room in the restaurant in close proximity to two businessman discussing loudly their latest business affairs. Hardly romantic!

When my husband had made the booking at the restaurant, he was told there was only 8:30pm sittings available, and my husband had requested that we be contacted if any earlier tables became available. Upon being showed to our table, there did actually seem like there was some spare tables available.

We ordered the three course set menu, which at first glance, seems like great value. For the entrees, I ordered the chilled prawns and my husband the duck salad. At the time of the entrees arriving, our ordered drinks had still not arrived and we had to remind the wait staff what we had ordered. The prawns were drowned in oil and rather tasteless. My husband was underwhelmed by the duck salad, which presented as an odd combination of flavours.

The main course offered the only redeeming feature of the experience at The Walnut, and my husband and I both ordered the filet steak and scallops for the main. The steak was well cooked and the lemon jus was a lovely accompaniment.

For the dessert, I ordered the orange and walnut cake with icecream which was completely underwhelming. The orange and walnut cake resembled something that could be purchased form an average bakery down the street and the accompanying icecream was already partially melted. My husband ordered the frozen cherries and yoghurt which he reported being of just passable taste.

After we had finished dessert, the wait staff asked if we wanted tea and coffee. I asked if this was included as part of the set menu, and the waiter seemed to be not sure and offered a vague response. Perhaps more training on the inclusions of the set menu is required!

Upon paying, luckily my husband checked the invoice carefully because we had been charged an extra $10 for the bottle of wine we had ordered.

I will unfortunately not be returning to the The Walnut.

Dear Guest,

It is with great disappointment that we did not meet you and husband's expectations. St. Valentine's Day was unexpectedly so popular with our clientele that we had to arrange a second seating once the main seating had filled which would explain some empty tables as you arrived.

We are in the process of drawing up plans to improve the atmosphere of our Private Dining Room where you were seated. We do apologise for the intrusiveness of the business conversation next to your table. We appreciate honest feedback about our service and we have reviewed our service standards, implementing additional training for all our staff to ensure prompt beverage delivery and product knowledge for overall guest satisfaction.

Our new a la carte menu launches on 1 May and I would like to take this opportunity to personally invite you and your husband for dinner with my compliments. If you would like to experience our new menu and improved service, please contact me directly on (07) 3112 1650. We hope to be given a chance to change your impression of the Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar.