“Celebration Dinner”

The Walnut Restaurant
Ranked #169 of 4,734 Restaurants in Brisbane
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Walnut Restaurant is found within the historical Royal on the Park Hotel overlooking the Botanical Gardens. In a lovely location opposite the Botanic Gardens both hotel and restaurant are steeped in tradition. The Walnut Restaurant Brisbane offers Brisbane's best fine dining experience that other Brisbane city restaurants simply cannot compare to. Elegance returns with shimmering Egyptian crystal chandeliers, polished Walnut wood paneling with gold trimmings and leather seating. With our exquisite a la carte menu and only the very best of service, we offer a charming and relaxed atmosphere for our diners. In addition a series of special functions are held - our chefs design a weekly degustation menu, available every Saturday with paired wines chosen by our Sommelier to provide the ultimate dining experience. At The Walnut we set out to surprise with both our quality of food and levels of service, For bookings please call us on 07 3112 1650. The Walnut Restuarant won the Bronze Medal at The Australian Culinary Federation Salon Culinaire 2011, Jimmy Sawyer Restaurant of the Year Competition and in 2016 a ‘certificate of excellence for service’ from Tripadvisor.
Reviewed February 22, 2013

Dined at The Walnut Restaurant last night (22/02/2013) to celebrate my 11year old's School Captaincy achievement. My 11yo Daughter chose this restaurant from the trip advisor top ten rated Brisbane restaurants and my family all agree that this was a wonderful choice.
The food was beautiful, the staff were professional and the Executive Chefs even came out to talk to us at the end of our meal and were lovely. We were made to feel very special, our 11yo in particular.
Thank you for a great dining experience. NB: Parking is free if you spend over $100.

Rudy C, Manager at The Walnut Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to dine at our Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar recently. We are really happy that we were able to help celebrate your daughter's excellent achievement.

Our current a la carte menu has been garnering rave reviews and your kind words is a source of pride and motivation for our Sous Chef, Frederick Marechal, who is continuously amazing us with his French culinary fare which was honed in Michelin-star restaurants in France and Monaco over the years. Do keep an eye out for his menu launching soon which will feature a section of his Signature Dishes. We hope to be able to host you and your family again very soon!

Reviewed February 17, 2013

After reading the rave reviews on Trip Advisor, we selected The Walnut to eat at for Valentines Day last Thursday. We were overall rather disappointed and underwhelmed with the experience.

My husband had made a booking around three nights earlier (and had in fact had a detailed conversation with the employee from the restaurant as to the menu options, parking etc), however on our arrival it became apparent that there was no record at all of our booking. Luckily, after some discussions between the staff members there was a table available for us. Unfortunately, the table we were taken to seemed to be quite possibly the worst table in the restaurant, a small table with harsh lighting which was tightly shoved right in the corner of a back room in the restaurant in close proximity to two businessman discussing loudly their latest business affairs. Hardly romantic!

When my husband had made the booking at the restaurant, he was told there was only 8:30pm sittings available, and my husband had requested that we be contacted if any earlier tables became available. Upon being showed to our table, there did actually seem like there was some spare tables available.

We ordered the three course set menu, which at first glance, seems like great value. For the entrees, I ordered the chilled prawns and my husband the duck salad. At the time of the entrees arriving, our ordered drinks had still not arrived and we had to remind the wait staff what we had ordered. The prawns were drowned in oil and rather tasteless. My husband was underwhelmed by the duck salad, which presented as an odd combination of flavours.

The main course offered the only redeeming feature of the experience at The Walnut, and my husband and I both ordered the filet steak and scallops for the main. The steak was well cooked and the lemon jus was a lovely accompaniment.

For the dessert, I ordered the orange and walnut cake with icecream which was completely underwhelming. The orange and walnut cake resembled something that could be purchased form an average bakery down the street and the accompanying icecream was already partially melted. My husband ordered the frozen cherries and yoghurt which he reported being of just passable taste.

After we had finished dessert, the wait staff asked if we wanted tea and coffee. I asked if this was included as part of the set menu, and the waiter seemed to be not sure and offered a vague response. Perhaps more training on the inclusions of the set menu is required!

Upon paying, luckily my husband checked the invoice carefully because we had been charged an extra $10 for the bottle of wine we had ordered.

I will unfortunately not be returning to the The Walnut.

Dear Guest,

It is with great disappointment that we did not meet you and husband's expectations. St. Valentine's Day was unexpectedly so popular with our clientele that we had to arrange a second seating once the main seating had filled which would explain some empty tables as you arrived.

We are in the process of drawing up plans to improve the atmosphere of our Private Dining Room where you were seated. We do apologise for the intrusiveness of the business conversation next to your table. We appreciate honest feedback about our service and we have reviewed our service standards, implementing additional training for all our staff to ensure prompt beverage delivery and product knowledge for overall guest satisfaction.

Our new a la carte menu launches on 1 May and I would like to take this opportunity to personally invite you and your husband for dinner with my compliments. If you would like to experience our new menu and improved service, please contact me directly on (07) 3112 1650. We hope to be given a chance to change your impression of the Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

My partner surprised me with a wonderful meal in your restaurant for Valentines day. The special 3 course meal that was offered and all the lovely extras made for a wonderful romantic evening! The champagne to enjoy with our meal was lovely and the beautiful red rose and the macaroons to take away were lovely touches.
Both my partner and I really enjoyed all of our courses. I loved my entree of asparagus mousse which was so light and refreshing with perfectly balanced flavours. It melted in your mouth. My partner found the duck delicious!
I decided to try the white truffle and mushroom rotollo and I am am so glad I did!! My partner was delighted with his organic chicken breast.. But couldn't resist enjoying a few tastes of mine!!
Desserts were also a treat!! Frozen cherries and yogurt which was much fancier than the name suggests and the Orange and Almond waffle cake that was my choice was perfectly moist and delicious!!
The service was very swift and efficient, excellent considering it was one of their busy nights! Our waitress Jane gave us wonderful service with a smile!!!
The only thing that I think was missing was music!! It would have really enhanced the evening. A classical violinist serenading us with love songs would have been perfect for the romantic occasion.
We asked if it would be possible to have our coffee in the lounge bar, this was no problem and arranged promptly. Unfortunately the atmosphere was not inviting as the room did not have any background music. Not even a cd playing. We did not feel like lingering because of this. It gave us the feeling as if it was closed and we shouldnt be there! It would have been lovely to have stayed and enjoyed listening, to live music while enjoying a glass of wine. Such a shame to have the wonderful piano and no one playing!
The whole dining experience could have been enhanced by having the addition of live music entertainment, like the duo Suave Sounds.
Our experience during our special night was wonderful, this lack of music to add to the ambience was the only thing I feel was lacking. Everything else was perfect!

I will definitely be recommending The Walnut Room to all of our friends!!
Thank you for a wonderful dining experience. I will always remember our special evening enjoyed there.

1  Thank pcwhiz

Dear Guest,

We are so happy to have helped you celebrate your romantic evening on St. Valentine's Day and that our special menu met with your kind approval. We have passed on your kind compliments to Jane. Thank you for providing feedback on our music. We have rectified this and soothing sounds now flow through the Walnut Restaurant for our guests to relax and enjoy.

Our Lounge Bar is being reinvigorated with a new wine list featuring Moet & Chandon Ice Imperial by the glass. Our grand piano has been tuned and the ivories are currently being tickled on Tuesday and Thursday evenings.

We hope you will come and dine with us again soon and perhaps enjoy a pre-dinner or post-prandial drink at our Lounge Bar listening to 'live' music.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Excellent entree however the rib eye main was more rare than medium rare and a bit fattier than expected. Service excellent.

1  Thank Janice D

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your continued patronage of the Walnut Restaurant & Lounge Bar. We always try to source the very best ingredients for our guests and our beef from the Darling Downs in Queensland is grass-fed and aged to provide that extra tenderness flavour. This is coupled with our commitment to purchasing from local producers.

In addition to our 600g Rib on the Bone carved tableside on our Blake's Silver Gueridon trolley, our current menu also features a 200g Black Angus Eye Filet Steak Tartare which is ground to order and prepared directly at your table. This French classic has melted many hearts while melting in the mouth.

We hope you will join us at the Royal On The Park Hotel Brisbane again soon to sample Executive Chef Rhian Rodrigues' culinary delights.

Reviewed January 9, 2013

We reserved a table for dinner at The Walnut at Royal on the Park hotel during the Christmas-New Year holidays. The Hotel had good Christmas decorations, and the restaurant was open and friendly with windows facing the front of the hotel. We had a prawn salad with two slender prawns with both the head and the tail attached but the skin peeled off. The prawns seemed thin but they were tasty. We shared pan-fried Tasmanian salmon. It was cooked with the skin on, which we prefer. It was delicious, but it was smaller than other salmon dishes that we had eaten in comparable restaurants in Brisbane, and the amount of mashed potato was much less than we expected. They had a very good selection of wine by the glass. We had a glass of late harvest Riesling that was very good and went well with the salmon. Service was very professional and attentive, and the dining room was quite full when we left. We felt that the dining room atmosphere and service was excellent. Overall, the dinner was a very good, quite memorable experience.

Dear Guest,

We are glad you took the opportunity to sample our fabulous cuisine by Sous Chef Frederick Marechal whilst in Brisbane. We have launched our new a la carte menu which features an authentic Filet Steak Tartare, assembled and presented right at your table.

Do join up as our Royal Rewards Card member on our website to enjoy fantastic deals and we hope you will think of us again on your next visit to Brisbane.