“Worth the Wait” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Two Small Rooms

Two Small Rooms
Reserve with
Two Small Rooms is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #838 of 4,262 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: European
Good for: Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
“Worth the Wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

Since moving to Brisbane '92, I have always wanted to come to this establishment. It has gone through many changes in that time, but alsa for some reason or another bookings were cancelled, plans changed. So nearly 21 years to the day since moving from Sydney the appointment was finally kept.
Met & welcomed graciously by James and seated in the lounge nook in the front room wine ordered and menu in hand.
The bride ordered the scallops, which she found to be delightful, plump beautifully cooked her only fault was the portion was a bit small. Yours truly ordered the bread w Pepe Saya butter and truffle salt and the heirloom salad side for entrée and it was a great combo, goats curd, sweet and juicy tiny toms and quite a peppery rocket mix.
Main, the Eye Fillet for the bride as usual she's a BEEF aficionado and on her scale rated a 6.5 (see Cafe Les Amoureux Sunnybank for the 10) so anything less than a 8 is a thumbs down served w potato & onion gratin and heirloom carrots. A bit ho hum.
Mine the Spatckcock roast whole served with a parsnip purée and a shaved cabbage salad a coleslaw by any other name and too much mayo at that. Not to bag it the bird was beautifully cooked great flavour and utterly enjoyed.
A cheese plate coffee and a liqueur followed and probably should have only had 2 cheeses but we had the the full monty. Avoid the washed cheese its not for the feint hearted.
Overall 7.5 NOT disappointed, would return in the new year, and wait for a menu change.
Was the wait worth it.......Ii hope so.

Brisbane, Australia
“Excellent food, wine and service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

Although this restaurant has been around for some time, it has new owners who are young and enthusiastic and know their stuff.
We are planning a birthday celebration soon and wanted to check out this place and were very impressed.
The menu was interesting and varied. The meals were excellent, well presented, good portion control and beautifully cooked. The service from James (one of the new owners0 was attentive and informative.
Wine is a bit pricey, but so it is everywhere.
We had a wonderful experience and look forward to returning for our birthday bash.

“Trying Hard”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

The "new" Two Small Rooms has only been opened for a short time and I can see it is trying hard to succeed. The waiter was very friendly and receptive when we first arrived however as more people came it appeared that service was being stretched. I could see some people getting a bit frustrated as they waited while trying to pay their bill. The restaurant lacked ambience and could do with a decor makeover. However, the mains we ordered - gnocchi for my friend and barramundi for me - were delicious. The steamed greens were good, but the hierloom tomato salad was unbalanced - with too much lettuce and little flavour. We both ordered the white chocolate mouse for dessert - although we had high hopes - it needed more texture and was a bit pedestrian for a restaurant. We ordered a coffee and a champagne to have with the dessert but these did not arrive till after we had well and truly finished dessert. I am sure it will get better in time - the Western Brisbane Suburbs can definitely accommodate a very good modern Australian restaurant.

Brisbane, Australia
“Relaxed and intimate with fabulous food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2013

As soon as we walked in we knew we were in for a pleasant evening. Service was great, food was fantastic, atmosphere warm and comfortable. We will definitely be making this our regular haunt for the special nights out for dinner.

• Visited October 2013
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Small is Beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2013

Small is Beautiful
I was looking for somewhere to go to celebrate and catch up with an ex work colleague and freshly married couple (Sean & Sally) and to treat my missus (Nicola – we are not so freshly married!) a place that was perhaps not one of the usual suspects, quiet and relaxed. For personal reasons I always prefer to hand over my hard earned cash to folks that are more akin to a small “family” concern rather than a medium to large sized business that perhaps don’t need my business so much and maybe feel they don’t have to try as hard. Anyhow, thanks to Mr Google I came across 2 Small Rooms, conveniently located in the western suburbs, easy to find and get to with local free parking on the side streets. Pictures and reviews looked inviting; it ticked all the boxes so we booked.

Inside very nicely done out, smart and contemporary with just enough of a hint of the classic features to remind you this is a fairly old building. Greeted and looked after all evening by a very friendly, attentive and poshly spoken James and his partner in crime Jasper; great timing with his service all evening and excellent menu knowledge and description of what we ordered and he presented us to eat – not that understood 90% of it as I’m no Masterchef. A good selection of entrees and mains, a few items on the menu were not available but they had been replaced by others, it didn’t matter we all chose want we fancied.

Entrees arrived promptly, can only speak for my slow cooked pork belly with lots of fancy stuff attached … Mmmmm simply delightful, fingers crossed a taste of things to come. A relative short interlude and the mains arrived. Three out of the four of us went for the Eye fillet of Beef and marrow bone the fourth the pan fried onion gnocchi, roasted tomato, basil oil, tomato emulsion, buffalo mozzarella, gremolata, wilted spinach …..and a heap of other colourful looking stuff (again sorry, I’m no master chef!).

Now when it comes to a piece of meat an eye fillet I have to say is not my usual choice as for me it never looks like you are getting much. However, from now on I will have to remind myself sometimes it all about the quality and not the quantity. Again simply delightful, very well presented and for me cooked to perfection, a quality piece of beef, well complimented by some fancy potato stuff (truffle potato gratin – I have been reliably informed) and some tasty pumpkin coloured butter that thankfully for me did not contain pumpkin. Suffice to say we all polished our plates. To close the night we shared a couple of chocolate and caramel tarts, tea and coffee, just enough to fill any remaining gaps and send us home content without feeling we had been greedy.

We were last guests out (a bit like my old pub drinking days!) but by no means rushed to leave. In fact we closed the night with a look round the place (it’s a bit “Tardis” like and certainly a lot more than just the 2 small rooms suggested). We also had a friendly chat with James, who after what appeared to be a busy night was now relaxed and had lost some of his “poshness” but was still as polite and friendly as he (and others) had been all night. Turns out that James and the and 2SR team ( all the J’s , Jasper, Josh and Jade) had only been running the place for the last 5 weeks, having taken over from previous management. For me they have certainly started on the right foot, quality food and excellent service – please keep it up. I wish you all the best in business you deserve to do well and be a great success ……… but don’t lose the character of the place and become too big and unfriendly otherwise I may not be able to return !

• Visited September 2013