“Too expensive!”

Cuisines: Australian
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I was looking forward to visit the new Shingle Inn in Bulimba. I ordered a salad and paid $15 for a couple of leaves, 2 small beetroot and some goats cheese, no dressing and could even see the plate through the salad because it was such a thin layer! Will not be visiting again!

3  Thank anneli929

Reviewed November 1, 2013

We were at Chermside for Breakfast and tried this place. Quite possibly the worst breakfast we've ever paid for. Mango frappes that had no flavour, a teaspoon of hollandaise on the hard poached eggs benedict and waffles that were burnt and delivered 10 minutes after the other breakfast.

The worst part - we were overcharged and then insulted when I brought it to staff attention (the "franchisee" as he introduced himself). The insult wasn't overt but he tried to make it sound like the overcharging was my own fault and that I'd misunderstood some convoluted company policy. What a joke.

Steer clear of this place.

3  Thank Dan_Fids
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We saved up our "Cuppa" for afternoon tea time and went to the Shingle Inn that is now on the ground floor of the City Hall.

The setting was the same as it had been 30 years ago - complete with the silver sugar basin that got turned around once the order had been taken.

We had tea and a cup cake. The tea was fine, but the cup cake was dry and very heavy.

When we went to pay for our food etc, the staff were too busy chatting amongst themselves and took a while to serve us. Not a welcoming feeling, even though we were leaving anyway.

Will I go back again? Probably not!

1  Thank WendyML
Reviewed October 11, 2013

A friend recommended this little gem whilst in the city. We should have booked for afternoon tea however we were squeezed in. As we only had afternoon tea I cannot comment on the luncheon but the service was excellent and the decor very cute. Great high tea menu as well. The staff jaunty in their classic uniforms and prompt service. I would visit again !

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Have been a number of times hoping that one day the patty cakes will be fresh.When they opened the coffee was great, the cakes were too die for but ever since the cakes seem stale. I have been there on a Saturday, Monday, Wednesday ect but the cakes that look so nice are always stale. You need sharp teeth to break the outer hard shell of the cake. This week it seemed that they had warmed it up so it was a little "fresher"' Very disappointing. Fond memories of the original place in town. Coffee is still great but could be a little warmer. Ask for extra hot next time.