“Punching above it's weight”

Rhubarb Rhubarb Restaurant
Ranked #346 of 4,632 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: French, Australian
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We went to Rhubarb Rhubarb on Saturday night with a 6.30 booking. Looking at reviews I was really looking forward to some classy food but came away a little disappointed. I would say that they are punching above their weight. I had the rabbit tart to start and this should have been tasty but spoiled by the fact that the pastry was over cooked. Next was a steak with supposedly a Diane sauce. The steak was cooked perfectly but the sauce was insipid, watery and sweet. At $37 a good steak spoiled. On to deserts, we were recommended to have the brûlée which was supposed to be a speciality. The creme itself was tasty but the brûlée was burned. All in all poor attention to detail.

On a plus, nice decor and excellent waiter.

Another issue is the noise. A small room with about 30 people in it, by half way through the night I found myself struggling to have a conversation as it was so noisy. They need to invest in some curtains for noise reduction. I won't be going back I'm afraid which is a shame as this has potential.

3  Thank Jembrontefi
There are newer reviews for Rhubarb Rhubarb Restaurant

Reviewed October 20, 2012

We went here to celebrate a special family event (party of 7). The food was amazing - I had the scallops entree and duck main. Everyone at the table felt the same and the sides just added to the meal (although not really necessary, but totally order to indulge yourself). Whilst the price is not cheap the fact you can BYO makes it in an inexpensive for 5 star food experience. The one thing I would criticise would be service - while very friendly it was a times slow. Overall a very enjoyable night out.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

When this restaurant first opened it gained a ranking of #2 on TA for the quality of its food and ambiance. Not much has changed since it opened. For us, the locals, the menu remains largely as it did on day one. For visitors it is lovely. This is said lovingly cause Josh (the chef and owner) is just a real hard-working gentleman with a young family so as a very gentle prod we wish Josh would put some new sparkle into the menu as we know he can.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was asked to join at friend Rhubarb Rhubarb a couple of weekends ago, and I'm very glad I accepted! The food was absolutely delicious - they have an excellent assortment, covering traditional French well with duck dishes, as well as pork, lamb, beef, chicken and fish, obviously cooked in a French style. Nobody complained about any of their meals. The service was enthusiastic and our glasses were never empty. Car parking was fantastic (nabbed one right out the front, but there was plenty of other on-street spots well within walking distance), and the ambience and decor was delightful. I would suggest upgrading their bathrooms though.
All in all, a lovely experience to which I will return.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

I have enjoyed every visit to Rhubarb. Whether with the wife, with family, or with friends, it has been a delightful experience.

1  Thank tonto11