“Sad Food”

Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sad Food”
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Possibly this is the first time I am writing a review as we are eating.
We ordered naan which were like elastic thick sheets not cooked in tandoor.
Biryani and curry were average
Please save yourself some money

Columbus, Ohio
“Great food and atmosphere! Ok service.”
Reviewed February 10, 2013 via mobile

We had dinner here on a Saturday night. It was our first night in Australia and so weren't prepared for the BYO alcohol policy or that would have made the value even better.

The food was really delicious - authentic Indian. Service was not great - the food came out very promptly but no one came back to refill our glasses of water or check on us at all once it came out. And I really needed some more given I made the mistake of ordering my dish medium and not mild - it was a bit on the spicy side for me!

We walked here from our hotel downtown and it was a nice walk, though a bit of a hike.

Overall I would recommend it based on the food quality and fun atmosphere. Make sure to come armed with your beverages of choice!

Brisbane, Australia
“Below average and rude manager”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We went to this restaurant a couple of months ago after hearing that it was really good. It wasn't. I suspect that they cook the meat in one pot then take some out of the pot and add the sauce when a dish is ordered. The vegetable dishes, naan bread etc were of medium to poor quality. When we were leaving I spoke to the guy at the desk, don't know if he was the manager or owner. I was very discreet in giving him polite but honest feedback. He wasn't interested in the least, showed his annoyance and was very rude. I am not sure if he has visited the Punjab but I have on a number of occasions and the street vendors sell better quality and tastier food than this restaurant. I would not recommend it at all.

• Visited October 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Average Indian in Brisbane - way overrated!”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

I dined here last weekend and have eaten here once before a few years ago. Both experiences have confirmed my review comments that the Indian food is stodgy and gluggy with most of the meat dishes fairly tough rather than tenderly cooked. I suspect they use cheaper meat cuts to save costs, and don't provide the slow cooking required to tenderize the cheaper custs. Sauces are good - korma, vindaloo, saagwala (which they call palak), madras, masala, tikkas etc. Would recommend going to "Ceylon Inn" anytime over "Punjabi Palace"

• Visited January 2013
“Consistently tasty Indian”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Dined in and had take away here twice in one week and it is consistently good, tasty Indian food. Full of flavours - you can't go wrong. It's fairly busy most of the time so I would suggest booking ahead where possible.

Service is ok. Nothing special but does the trick.

Great variety on the menu and food comes out quite quickly. This Indian food is rich so for those with more sensitive stomachs err on the side of caution when ordering.

On-street parking on Melbourne St and surrounds which can be tricky given the busy location.

Will be back.