“Do not go for the Continental Breakfast”

McMahons Restaurant
Reserve with
McMahons Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #935 of 4,327 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Australian, Contemporary, International
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: For a creative Brisbane restaurant dining experience, enjoy the sophisticated yet relaxed ambience at Quay West Suites Brisbane's magnificent McMahon's Restaurant. Featuring an edgy and contemporary menu of Australian and European cuisine and stunning floor-to-ceiling glass windows overlooking Brisbane's beautiful Botanical Gardens, McMahon's Restaurant is an ideal venue to meet with friends or colleagues for a breakfast meeting, casual lunch or celebratory dinner. Spend an afternoon of luxury and indulgence and be prepared to redefine decadence with a wicked take on a timeless favourite - High Tea, Brisbane-style. Dispense with tradition, round up friends and listen for the 'pop' of Champagne corks to direct you to McMahons for an afternoon of delight, surprise and all things nice! All bookings include our signature High Tea per person PLUS complimentary glass of Australian sparkling accompanied by freshly brewed tea or coffee. Spend an afternoon of luxury and indulgence and be prepared to redefine decadence with a wicked take on a timeless favourite - High Tea, Brisbane-style. Dispense with tradition, round up friends and listen for the 'pop' of Champagne corks to direct you to McMahons for an afternoon of delight, surprise and all things nice! All bookings include our signature High Tea per person PLUS complimentary glass of Australian sparkling accompanied by freshly brewed tea or coffee.
Sydney
“Do not go for the Continental Breakfast”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

If you are staying at the Quay West Apartments do not get a package with Continental Breakfast.
The breakfast is unimaginative, stale and poor quality. Let me give you some examples -

The breakfast was suppose to commence at 6.30am till 10.30am. We arrived one morning at 7.45am and basically everything had run out except for cereal and toast. The fruit salad was down to a few pieces of watermelon and croissants and Danishes had run out. When I asked for replenishment's to the items - fruit salad and pastries the waitress was surly. She went to the back an chopped up approximately 10 strawberries and added it to the small remains of the watermelon. She also told us the pastries had run out (at 7.45am). Every day the Bircher muesli was the worst I have ever experienced. It was one large solid lump of something indescribable. The Danishes were not fresh and tasted like they were frozen pastries thawed out.

The toaster does not take the size of thick toast that was offered so half the toast would be uncooked. The cereal choice was bland and basic and the juice tasted watered down and more like cordial.
One morning we went down at 7am and breakfast had not been fully set up and it was suppose to commence at 6.30am. There was no milk for the cereal - no juice, no fruit salad or pastries. When we asked for tea and no milk was brought out.

The best part of your breakfast was the loose leaf English breakfast tea.

I gave the atmosphere a poor rating as the continental breakfast is squashed on two small table and careless in presentation. Also the Breakfast room looks into rooms where they have parties the night before and it is not tidied up by breakfast.

• Visited January 2013

gold coast
“Hi Tea alive and well in Brisbane”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Hi Tea is definately alive and thriving in Brisbane .There are certainly many places that offer a 'version' of high tea, but for those searching for a more traditional experience....
. ie crisp linen tablecloths.elegant tablewear and good old fashion excellent service..McMahons is a winner.The welcoming glass of champers is also a nice touch.Scones are excellent.!
The only negative is the minimal Tea Selection only two choices but quite a selection if your into herbal teas .

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank jennymGoldCoast
Melbourne, Australia
“Not a clue about breakfast”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

While staying here I used the restaurant for breakfast.....and I was disappointed. The first day they ran out of bacon, the second day the 'gas conked out' but offered the continental option, every day i had to ask for milk with my tea, salt and pepper shakers not on every table and some don't work. I was disappointed to say the least. Overpriced and underserviced.

• Visited December 2012
Brisbane
“Mothers Day Brunch Buffet - not even close!!”
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I just read Natalie T's review and I just want to say "ditto" to that.
Paying $37 per person expecting a buffet breakfast, nowhere near that!!! Selection of Breads with fillings, scones, pastries, cereals and fruits (which was rockmelon and sour kiwifruit might I add) disappointing...all for $37?? Any additional meals we would have to pay extra? For what we paid, we should have expected more that what we got. Cold Croissants with a slice of smoked salmon and cheese, Cold quiches, Bagel with a slice of ham and melted cheese, who knows how long they had been sitting there.

Like Natalie, we couldn't just walk out because it was prepaid and had to at least get our money's worth. Very embarrassed, because my mother did not enjoy her buffet brunch and expecting this Mothers Day treat be something she'd enjoy - not even close!!! My sister who works at a 4 star hotel was disappointed also. I can say the hotel she works at serves better breakfast buffet hands down and for way less than what we paid for what we got, lack there of.

I think the only thing I enjoyed there was brewed tea that we requested and brought over. Other than that, everything else was a total let down. I will never recommend this place to anyone. Worst Breakfast we've had for that price! I'll never go there again!!

• Visited May 2012
Brisbane, Australia
“Mother's Day brunch 2012 - Worst breakfast!!”
Reviewed May 15, 2012

I wanted to take my mother out for a beautiful breakfast at a 4star restaurant to show her how much i appreciated her. I did a search online and after ringing around, Mcmahon's restaurant was one of the restaurants still available for breakfast. It was $37 per person for a buffet breakfast and thought i would try it out as i had never been to that hotel before. I thought being a 4 star hotel i couldn't go wrong. I did a search online to check the reviews and they seemed to be ok.

When they mentioned buffet breakfast i thought it would be the usual bacon, eggs, baked beans, spaghetti, muffins, continental breakfast, tea, coffee etc. What you would usually expect at a buffet breakfast. Unfortunately it was nothing what i expected or PAID alot of money for.

The 'buffet' breakfast consisted of your usual continental breakfast of cereal, juice, toast and mini muffins and fruit but without a tea or coffee station (this was ordered at the bar) and a hot breakfast consisting of cold bagels with a slice of ham and cheese with wiltered rocket, cold quiche and cold croissants with a slice of smoked salmon inside. This was what was served as their Mother's Day buffet breakfast at $37 per person.

I was so embarrassed that that was the kind of meal i had treated my mother to to show her my appreciation. Unfortunately i couldn't cancel or walk out as you had to pre-pay when you booked so we had no choice but to eat there. I had a bit of an idea that i was in for a disappointing experience as there was only one other couple and their child dining there besides us, but they looked as though they had stayed at the hotel so i assume the breakfast would have been included and not made from a separate booking. It was the worst breakfast i had ever had for that price.

Moral of the story - Never pay for something before you get it and book well in advance.

• Visited May 2012