“So disappointing”

Ranked #76 of 4,721 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Lefkas Taverna was created in 1991 as a family operated business providing Authentic Greek Cuisine as it would be made in the village. Big plates filled with plenty of flavour and a lot of love.John Theoharis took over operation of Lefkas in 2005, in this time John has altered a few things, menu, image, presentation and additions although Lefkas is still a bound family operation from front of house to back from 11am through until late. Lefkas is now bigger & better than ever.We have expanded our restaurant capacity to create more seating, atmosphere, options and events,everything on the Lefkas menu remains the same plus more. The ambience pouring through the restaurant is second to none, people are up clapping and dancing, the band create such a vibe that no one can resist. Before you know it the restaurant is dancing on the street and cheering away, (Greek Style) loud and proud! This experience is quite hard to find, also so is the wide variety of food that fills everyone’s taste buds.John has put his heart and soul into this venture and takes a lot of pride in his business and efforts. Lefkas will now become a Greek restaurant meeting any imagination or requests possible. We will now have the capacity and space to hold events such as large group birthday parties, christenings, corporate lunches or dinner’s, even weddings!Everything Lefkas has to offer is made in house from dips to desserts. We fillet and marinate our own meat including Yiros, Souvlaki, Seafood, all cooked daily and from the best local produce.Our aim is to capture and cater for our loyal customers and their friends from start to finish, whether it is takeaway or a dining experience our staff will make sure your Lefkas experience is unforgettable.Our new lunch menu will catch the eye, more options at an affordable price, efficient service, leaving you fulfilled and satisfied, our dinner menu sizes and options will also be available upon request at lunch if you want to go all out on your favourites! Our dinner menu and pricing remains the same with a few more options to choose from.Last but not least…. Freshly made honey puffs, all visible and made in front of you, quite hard to resist! Drizzled with honey syrup and a dash of icing sugar, available all day dine in or take away. We will also have a liquor licence in coming months which will allow you to sit back and be served Greek style, great food, great wine and the fantastic music!(Eat Safe Brisbane Rating - 4 stars) Weekly Live Music from 7-10pm every Friday night plus once a month on Saturdays.Remaining Dates for 2013:Sat Nov 23rd, 30th, Dec 7th, 14th and our final trading date for 2013 Sat 21st of December.Bookings are essential, please visit our website for further details
Reviewed February 7, 2014

We booked a table at Lefkas to celebrate my birthday in January. We waited 1 hour and 5 minutes and didn't see any food but other customers who arrived after us had received theirs before us. We reminded the waitress of our order after 40 minutes but that didn't make any difference, we finished up walking out without eating.
I wrote a letter of complaint to the manager the following day but he hasn't had the courtesy to reply, he obviously doesn't respect the power of word of mouth
Our family have frequented the restaurant for many years but will never return.

3  Thank Mary M

Reviewed January 18, 2014

Met friends there at 7:30 for a Saturday night dinner ... overheard diners on the street complaining about waiting over an hour for their food. After sitting down a bottle of water appeared, that was the last bit of service we received until 8:05 when the waitress appeared finally. After yelling our orders trying to speak over the band ... she returned to say there would be a bit of a delay ... "how much of a delay because we have been here 40 mins already"? She went and checked, 15 mins we were told ..... so that's almost an hour after arriving before we get a sniff of any food whatsoever ... wondering how long it would take to get our mains we decided not to anymore. If you are so short staffed that you are unable to cope with the numbers then cut the numbers. Went across the road to a busy but lovely Turkish place ... great service and food. Just a note ... get rid of the band ... soooo loud.

2  Thank able58
Reviewed December 18, 2013

Six of us for lunch on a very busy Thursday (just before Christmas). Three had fish of the day (Dory) and all said it was excellent. Two had souvlaki (chicken and lamb). Both said it was very good, great flavours, although the lamb was a little chewy. I had lamb yiros which was very good with great flavours. Servings were quite generous. I had trouble finishing the yiros. Coffees all round. Cappuccinos the others had were good but my Greek coffee wasn't the best. The prices are very reasonable and the service was excellent. The atmosphere is nice although a tad noisy - but then it is the festive season!

1  Thank OzHolly
Reviewed December 16, 2013

We went to Lefkas for a Christmas function recently. We had a pretty large group but we thought it should have been ok because we pre-ordered our meals. We were wrong! I arrived at 12:30. I got my meal at 2:10 and was the last to be served. It didn't help that I hadn't eaten much that day so by this stage I was very hungry. Thankfully a friend offered me some of his dip. I have never had to wait for over an hour and a half for a meal from any place in my life. The food was nice but then my moussaka was burnt in places and the potato wasn't fully cooked, nevertheless I probably would have eaten it stone cold anyway and not cared, I was that hungry. I could have made moussaka from scratch in the time it took them to give me my meal! They would have saved time by not scrapping the small banquet from the menu. More people would have gone for it but instead they chose to only offer the two more expensive banquets instead. So many of us chose to order off the menu. That's no excuse for poor service.
Sorry Lefkas, I certainly will not be going back.

5  Thank Min B
John T, Owner at Lefkas Taverna, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2013

I would firstly like to say that I am disappointed and frankly quite offended that you would post such a review online. It is my belief that the potential complications associated with combining banquet and al la carte menus regarding groups of more than 20 people (which is not allowed as a house rule) was comprehensively outlined to you and your party weeks before your event date.

I don’t normally allow these requests for mutiple reasons, and in your situation would not have agreed to provide this menu but for the fact that it had been promised to you by Angela when first making your enquiry. I made the decision to allow a mix of banquet and al la carte meals purely to try and accommodate you and your dining party’s needs, something I have been doing as the owner of this business for the last 9 years. Every effort was made on the day to suit your requirements, and is my belief under the circumstances that every request was met with a smile, and nothing was refused to you, regardless of amendments to the order which were still being received half an hour prior to your arrival.

On no occasion did you mention to me anything regarding a potential budget per head, or enquire about possibly creating a banquet to suit you and your guests individual needs. The $25 banquet was only introduced 5 months ago to accommodate smaller appetites or those seeking a grazing menu, and has now been superseded by a full canapés menu created to better suit this purpose. While seeming worthwhile in theory, this banquet created issues for those customers expecting the same variety of dishes served in our larger banquets and as a result it has been discontinued. I assure you as the owner that any request regarding the possibility of a cheaper banquet for your group would have been met with the same flexibility afforded to you through with your varying menu selections.

The biggest issue I believe with your Lefkas dining experience concerns the assumption that by pre-ordering your meals, they would be ready at the table upon your arrival, but again this specific request was never made. We make a habit of cooking all meals to order as it is my belief that it provides the best dining experience and allows for late arrivals, last minute changes to menu choices etc. Your dining group arrived separately over a period of half an hour, and on three occasions I was told by the staff looking after your group that you were not ready to eat as you were still waiting on further diners. When everyone had arrived, entrees were prepared promptly and sent to those diners who had ordered entrée meals or who were a part of the banquet menu. As you had asked for meals to be served in courses, those people who had only ordered a main meal were not served food until the main courses were prepared for the entire group. To reiterate again, I try and ensure flexibility in all aspects of service and would have been more than happy to serve mains early for those who did not wish to wait, however this can only be achieved if it is communicated to me. The same applies to any food that is not prepared to your satisfaction, I will turn somersaults to ensure that everyone leaves Lefkas happy and with the intention of coming back but cannot solve issues without being aware of them.

Overall, I am disappointed that you feel Lefkas has not contributed positively to your Christmas function, and will continue striving to improve the dining experience here in every aspect. I welcome constructive criticism and find it a valuable tool in gauging the experience of diners and providing insight from a perspective not always obvious as a small business owner. However it does not seem that you have considered the advice provided to you prior to your function, which has now resulted in unhappy customers and a review which I personally feel is unreasonable, one sided and facetious. I believe being approachable, remaining open to communication and willing to always aim for improvement are key factors in operating a small business and am more than happy to go the extra mile to ensure satisfied customers, whether it’s a group of 50 or a takeaway yiros. Unfortunately I am unable to ensure this when communication in not adequate and feel that placing blame onto my business in this situation is unjustified given the circumstances. Believe it or not, we do not deny specific requests or provide advice regarding these sorts of events to cut costs or make life easier on our staff, we simply aim to ensure that our customers understand how our various menus interact, and can make an informed choice based on their needs. I am happy to discuss this matter further with you if it will assist.

John Theoharis
Owner/Manager

Reviewed December 12, 2013

Wow not to sure what the below review is on ABOUT! I go there all the time as a regular customer and have eaten just about everything on the menu. I love the yiro's they are hands down the best around and exactly if not better then the ones I had from greece. The lemon potatoes are so tasty and full of flavour. Yes it can get loud but that is later on in the evening and its actually entertaining if you have a fun personality. What greek isnt loud thats what its all about it!
Awesome atmosphere, service great and they now have a great wine list. Im loving all the greek wines at the moment. Must check it out probably the best greek food in brisbane.