“Food was good, but not stunning. A bit tired”
Review of Cha Cha Char

Cha Cha Char
Ranked #78 of 4,687 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Cha Cha Char Wine Bar & Grill is a stylish, contemporary restaurant specialising in high quality, cooked-to-perfection steaks.On our menu you'll find plenty of information - the breed, paddock address, age (12 months to 30 months and older), size (200g to 600g), accompaniments and diet (grass fed/grain fed) as well as snapshots of rare, medium rare, medium and well done steaks to help diners with their preferences.It's harder than you think to get a great steak onto a plate - there are so many variables. Restaurateur John Kilroy is a nationally recognised beef judge and is constantly showcasing products to the hospitality industry where discussions range from the breed of cattle, feed type and age of the carcass. His wide recognition throughout the beef industry means that we receive first class products on a consistent basis, year round. John sources the beef direct from producers and suppliers and ages it for five weeks, giving diners a chance to taste different breeds, brands and regions. That's why it's Brisbane's signature steak restaurant!
Reviewed June 11, 2014

Dined here for the first time in 10 years. It looked a bit tired, the leather chairs looked old and worn and the cutlery was the same, covered in scratches from too many times through the dishwasher. For a high priced establishment like this, I expected more.

Entree was salt and pepper squid. Portion was large for an entree, taste was ok, but not memorable.
From the steak menu, I ordered the Wagyu Rib fillet. The steak was good, but not as stunning as I'd hope for $68.

With a menu like this I expected it to rival Rockpool Bar & Grill in Sydney, but not even close.

3  Thank Sydney_RD

Reviewed June 9, 2014

After having dined at Jellyfish restaurant which is quite close by the previous night we came away from Cha Cha Char feeling a bit let down.

We arrived without a reservation on a quiet Sunday night and were shown to our table. The service was very good and our waitress was very comprehensive in explaining the differences between grass and grain fed beef and also I will add managed to "up sell" me to the Wagyu Eye fillet! Orders were taken and a bottle of wine ordered. They have a quite comprehensive wine list!

Entree of the beef tartare for myself was very good. My wife had the Salt & pepper squid which really was a quite large portion for an entree. She did say it was very good.

The mains for me is where the restaurant let us down. My wife who doesn't eat beef ordered the market fish and did enjoy her meal.
As mentioned I ordered the Wagyu Eye Fillet, medium. Now, at $AU74 I was expecting something memorable. It wasnt. Taste was good but was ever so slightly overdone. A steak of this calibre (and price) should "melt in your mouth", this did not. The accompaniments to the steak were however very tasty but the main attraction just didn't "get there".

I have no problems paying top money for great food and Cha Cha Char is not cheap by any way of the imagination. Maybe this was an "off night" but it has missed a very good or excellent rating because the main reason for going to a steakhouse wasn't good enough!

3  Thank MrAustralasia
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This was the best steak I have ever had in a restaurant, it was like cutting butter! A great meal made even better by our fantastic French waiter.

2  Thank HellsBelles27
Reviewed June 5, 2014

I've been here a few times previoulsy (not for a few years now though, I must admit) and had always wondered what the fuss was all about about with the raves this place used to get?? Well, we recently had a party there on s Saturday night and everything was fantastic. From the time we arrived, to timing of orders being placed and meals arriving, time between course etc was great. We had some "younger" people with us so we wanted wine that was reasonably priced and would go with our food choices. The waiter offered his advice, which we took, and we had that wine all evening. The food was fantastic. All dishes were presented well, and the flavours were complimentary to what must be a well structured kitchen team. Some favourites white quail, rump tip, and the mixed desserts were a huge hit. the cons imo, some entrees seemed a bit on the "less substantial' side, and the wine list prices are not for the faint hearted! Having said that, we had a great night. Disclaimer: I was a guest at this function and did not pay for my meal......

3  Thank FamilyTravels094
Reviewed June 5, 2014 via mobile

Not the first time I have dined here so a second visit drive me to post a review. Fantastic service, Moo Juice is a glorious yet unhealthy addition to any order and the meat quality and preparation is spot on. If you want a matching wine and can throw some dollars at the same time Cha Cha Char is the place to be.

2  Thank Andrew T