“Nup, never again!”

Cafe Black Forest
Ranked #2,838 of 4,731 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: European, German
Dining options: Reservations
Description: The Black Forest Restaurant captures the best of German cuisine, combining the delicious authentic taste of Germany with a vibrant and exciting atmosphere. Meals are served in hearty portions, and are able to satisfy the most discerning German palates. Capable of holding any event, from weddings to birthdays, Cafe Black Forest is definitely a worthwhile visit.
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Overpriced and meals ridiculously large. Kids over 7 are expected to order an adult meal. Tell me which 8 y.o. would eat (and finish!) a huge Schnitzel? Food was average, which we waited for, for 1 1/2 - 2 hours! No apology or discount offered. Wondered wether they were keeping us waiting so we would spend more money on drinks? Have had better German meals in Australian restaurants! Also no vegetarian alternatives on the menu...

Reviewed January 5, 2013

I visited this restaurant twice, the first time many years ago and I swore never to go again. Although I remember that the food was good, but nothing special, the service by the owner/chefs' wife was appalling.
However, in July 2012 we were invited to a 'Christmas in July' celebration and I was pleasantly surprised by the nice decorations and atmosphere, life music and choice of menu. It was very busy and we had to wait quite a while for our drinks and meal, but it didn't matter as we were in nice company. Also they had hired more staff, so we didn't have to deal with 'her'! The portions were very copious, albeit on the expensive side. I had the venison, which was slightly disappointing, but the rest of the table were quite happy with their dishes.
So the secret is not to go on a quiet night, if you don't mind the wait.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

The first time I went was a disaster. I gave it a second chance but that was even worse. As most of the reviewers' state: average food and if there's a small problem the owners (head chef and his manageress wife) get offended and go out of their way to insult customers. With that combination I wonder how much time this place's got.

Reviewed August 15, 2012

OMG i have never experienced customer service like that. The waitress was horrible and yelled mostly throughout the service. The food was ok nothing special andalso nothing german about the food :( I have lived in germany for many years but the blackforest has nothing but a few decorations that reminded us of germany :( The waitress and the owner were the rudest people i have ever met overall :( really sad. I can just say that our night and my mums Birthday dinner were ruined and we walked out half way though our meals..

1  Thank Lea D
Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

With previous TA reviews in mind I headed to the Black Forest restaurant with some trepidation for a 60th birthday dinner. I was pleasantly surprised.

The restaurant was full, however the meals and drinks for our table (of 12 people) were delivered in good time. The staff were friendly and (sometimes overly) attentive. The quality of the food was really good (I had the rabbit which was really tasty). There is also a great selection of German beers.

We may have been lucky and got them on a good night but I would recommend this restaurant. The atmosphere (complete with German music) is great and everyone had a lot of fun.