“Lots of good points, but!”
Review of Avanti Cafe & Pasta - CLOSED

Avanti Cafe & Pasta
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
brisbane queensland
“Lots of good points, but!”
Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

First time under new owners. Very busy Friday night. Management apologised for delay in food and provided complimentary drinks. Service very good. Extensive menu well priced. My only negative was the overuse of garlic in the dips and some of the mains. This has always been an issue for me here, and is not really in line with Italian cuisine.

Visited April 2014

“Avanti delivers a GREAT experience!”
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I noticed Avanti years ago but never got around to visiting them. This valentine's day gave me the perfect excuse to take my girlfriend to this intriguing restaurant. I'm not sure how busy they are normally, but the carpark (which is multi level) was so packed we had to park on the street. We took this as a good sign, if a place is that busy it must be something to talk about, right?
Once inside, we found a waiter and were promptly seated. I'm not sure how busy they are normally and it may be because it was valentines day, but it was bustling with customers. Avanti is BYO and their corkage was $7 (I think...). Our waiter was friendly and we felt we were off to a good start.
We ordered a pesto bread to start, followed by calamari fritti, I had a meat market pizza and my girlfriend had a fettucine cabonara. We didn't have to wait too long for food which we found fantastic. The pesto bread was delicious, it had a great amount of crispiness and the pesto really brought it home. Our calamari was to DIE for!! Some restaurants over season calamari or it's over cooked. Not the case here! Every bite melted in the mouth. It was also topped with aioli which gave it a nice tang to the taste.
One thing you have to remember when coming here is to come with an empty stomach, their portion sizes are quite big! My girlfriends carbonara was served in a fairly deep bowl, pasta was cooked well, the sauce had a well balanced creaminess, definitely not overpowering like some other italian restaurants.
Finally, my pizza. I consider myself a lover of pizza, I enjoy making my own from scratch at home, so I had high expectations for my main. It's easy to over do a topping and overpower the flavour of the pizza. Again, I was not disappointed. The base was cooked extremely well, not soggy, crispy, the cheese and toppings didn't overpower the sauce (it was GREAT to be able to taste the sauce through the toppings! :D ), it was overall a fantastic pizza!
I managed to finish my meal but we had to take the carbonara home there was so much of it! Throughout our meal the servers checked to make sure everything was going well but not in an invasive way which was awesome. We thought about dessert but we were to full! We also noticed some the other meals going around and they looked amazing! They have a crab lasagne that I really want to try!!
The ONLY downside was our table, which was a tiny bit small. But other than that, we left really happy with our evening.
So to sum up, Avanti is friendly restaurant with great service, fantastic food and an intimate atmosphere. If you're looking for a new Italian restaurant, definitely give them a try!! Looking forward to going back!!

• Visited February 2014
Sunshine Coast, Australia
“Pedictable and good value”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

We have been going here for years and since start up it has become a favourite in Brisbane. The menu is expansive and created with an Italian Restaurant theme in mind and is good value with mains in the min $20's. The restaurant is a favourite with group bookings and seems to cope well with large crowds. Avanti would be a good choice for a family outing as there are kids choices too.
The restaurant is right on the road and traffic noise is terrible during the day, but might be more so at the moment with large road and tunnel constructions happening near by. There are tables away from the road and these can be requested when booking. There is parking under the building, but this can be limited in busier times.
Staff are friendly and helpful with the menu - wine choices are average but as you would expect for a restaurant of this type.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank theredman01
Brisbane
“A pleasant surprise”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

After checking reviews here and on Yelp, we went for dinner. Staff were attentive, the menu larger than I expected for such an unpretentious café. We had buffalo wings, baby octopus salad, blackened barramundi, and tiramisu. I would have to say everything we ate was excellent - fresh, tasty, good portion size, well presented and reasonably priced. Very happy to recommend to all without reservation. We have been twice and will be back.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank MLandM
Brisbane, Australia
“Absolutely Scrumptious!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

My Mother and I have been trying Italian Restaurants all over Brisbane for the past 2 years now and this is the best so far. It was a more casual restaurant than what we usually dine at so I can't comment on the decor as we are used to more fancy stuff. Nevertheless, the service and food were absolutely delicious! Waited about the average 15-20 minutes for food so we were happy. Our entrée, the pesto, sun-dried tomato & feta dip with breads was delicious! The only downside was that I didn't particularly like the peach iced tea as it tasted too watery and not peachy enough, but that is a minor detail. Overall a lovely meal. We went home way too full because we didn't want to stop eating!!

• Visited September 2013