“Very average” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney
“Very average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2013

I stayed one night for business and was pleased it was only 1 night. On stepping out of the lift on the 22nd floor there was immediately a sickening stench, I couldn't get to room fast enough. The room is your standard hotel/apartment, very small bedroom and room 2205 had a strange closed in balcony. The bathroom floor needed a good clean which makes you not want to use anything else in the apartment. The toiletries supplied by the Oaks chain are very poor quality and I was thankful to find a little soap in my bag from another hotel chain that I could use.
The bed at least was comfortable but overall this Oaks property has a cheap feel to it. I will not be returning.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
OFTB, Manager at Oaks Festival Towers, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay. We appreciate the time you have taken and the level of detail you have provided. I would like to apologise that not all areas of our product and service met your expectations.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Korean first
ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2013

After a very nice welcome, its all went down hill. The corridor smelt like something a died and it had not been aired out for months. The entry into the apartment was the same, and after opening all windows i could start to think about putting my bags in my bedroom. The couch had stains and all though the room at all the right features. my experience was already ruined. to top it all off the bed didn't even have a quilt cover more so two flat sheets fitted together to try and hit the fact they had run out of the correct linen.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank jamesdiamond123
OFTB, Manager at Oaks Festival Towers, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Thank you for your feedback regarding certain aspects of your apartment in relation to facilities and cleanliness.
We appreciate you taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks Festival Towers. We were concerned to read of the odour you mention which you encountered. We do have deodorisers in the common areas/hallways of many of our properties in the CBD.
Sydney Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2013

Stayed for four nights in a 2 bedroom apartment location is fantastic walking distance to all shops restaurants and pubs.rooms are very spacious and clean with a good size balcony over looking the city all in all a great apartment with very good staff and would most certainly stay again.

OFTB, Manager at Oaks Festival Towers, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to report on your recent stay at Oaks Festival Towers. It was great to read that everything met your expectations and that you enjoyed most aspects of your apartment. We're glad to have been of service to you and hope to welcome you again in the near future
Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Upon arrival into our room none of our appliances worked - washing machine, drier, stove, oven or telephone. First two days had to cook in another room. Subsequently got a room changed which happened to be an upgrade but were told we could
Not use half of the facilities. The corridors have a distinct bad odour. The cleanliness of room depended on who came that day some cleaners made bed some didn't, some cleaned itmes in sink some didn't. Overall wasn't impressed and comparing to other oaks around Australia this is severly behind. Wouldn't recommend unless location is all your interested in.

• Stayed March 2013
OFTB, Manager at Oaks Festival Towers, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Sydney
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

SSI (sleep & shower index) is 9. Very good bed and a great shower…yes great water pressure in Brisbane!

The king size bed was a zip together of two single beds but despite this, it was surprisingly good. So for a comfortable good night sleep and shower, this property rates highly. The one bedroom serviced apartments are quite spacious. Really this is a good option unless you are looking for good service, that special touch, or sun lounges around the pool!

WHAT WE DIDN’T LIKE:

Reception:

We arrived and the floor in front of the lifts was just washed. Probably for a good reason but no attempt to dry it and certainly no wet floor sign so when the first person came along he almost slipped over. The second person did the same so the front desk attendees decided that perhaps they could do better!

We had booked through Hotels.com. I rang in advance and the Oaks didn’t have my booking, well at least they had a different Christian name. How, my receipt from Hotels.com shows my name correctly? All sorted out over the phone; so I thought. We arrived to be told they had no booking and suggested I had the wrong Oaks serviced apartments in Brisbane. I insisted and showed them my receipt; “oh here it is” was the reply. Great, so I do have a booking. “Have you stayed here before” I was asked, “yes” I replied, “oh let me look then? Oh no you haven’t” the receptionist insisted. “Yes I have”, “oh do you live at……?”, “no”, “oh what about…..?’, (at this stage I should note that my name is not common, in fact rather unusual)“no”, “well how about….?” “yes”’; oh we were all so happy. We found me, so in what took longer to deal with than fill out a form, I now had the special treatment and didn’t have to fill out the “full” form. Wouldn’t you think in this day and age the details would all be seamless and the system would let them know?

Once having successfully checked in we went to our room and unpacked. We quickly left and went to dinner. We returned and prepared for bed. Oh, one of the blinds in the bedroom is missing. Here it is…..behind the apartment door. We quickly rang reception to be told that it must have broken and would have been put there by the cleaners for the maintenance people to fix, and they obviously forgot to tell reception. OK, they offered us another room and we packed everything up and moved, despite the late hour and being very tired. However we now had checked in and had our second room which was very comfortable. Hotels are generally easier than this!

No Sun Lounges Around the Pool:

Next day the weather was beautiful so we headed to the swimming pool. The lap pool and spa are in a beautiful area, north facing to benefit the most from the sun and includes a BBQ and grassed area. Really very nice but not one sunlounge (if you look at the web site you will note the sun lounges in the pictures) and you need to “buy” pool towels. I suspect they meant rent for $2. So, together with a gym and sauna, these are great facilities and the pool area quite pretty. We questioned reception on the lounges and they simply agreed that there were none, they don’t offer sun lounges?

Management/Cleaning Staff:

I noted poor management. The lifts are generally OK but do not plan to use them between (I am guessing here) 9.15am and 9.30am. Every lift that came at this time was filled with cleaning trollies and staff. Yes there is no service lift and no one has thought of the inconvenience to guest, who in our case, had to let lift after lift come and go filled with staff and it took us around 7 minutes to get down. Surly management can work this one out!

WHAT WE LIKED

The units are very well located to everything in Brisbane city and only a short walk across the bridge to Southbank.

The units are a good size as are the internal rooms.

The bed was very comfortable.

The units are air-conditioned which worked well.

The units include a full kitchen (not that we used it).

The shower in our room was large and we had good strength water pressure.

Provided you don’t want to sit around a pool, the pool and surrounding area is very nice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
OFTB, Manager at Oaks Festival Towers, responded to this review, April 10, 2013

I would like to apologise that not all areas of our product and service met your expectations. The lack of sun lounges in our pool area is unfortunately the result of work place health and safety restrictions imposed on us, and we are working with the buildings body corporate to resolve this.

Unfortunately we don’t have a dedicated service lift in the building, but we acknowledge that the congestion caused by housekeepers can be inconvenient at certain times. As a result we have staggered the starting times for the housekeeping team to alleviate the issue.

Thanks again for the feedback and I hope that we may be able to host you again in the future and provide an improved experience that meets your expectations
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

Apartment very spacious and comfortable, the enclosed balcony gives great views over the city. Location perfect for exploring this lovely city. Would have given a 5 star rating had it not been for the cost of internet connection ( the highest we paid anywhere on our trip to Australia )

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
OFTB, Manager at Oaks Festival Towers, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Thanks so much for taking the time to share your positive feedback following your recent stay at Oaks Festival Towers. We are pleased that you enjoyed yor stay and that our service and facilities met your needs and expectations. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.
Perth, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

we have just returned from a cruise and spend two nights here, the room was Spacious, clean and very convenient.

Saturday night was a little noisy with street activity but all in all we slept well and were comfortable.

The only thing putting me off using this hotel is the intenet cost. we were there 2 nights and manage to run up a bill of $68! I pay less than that at home for high speed internet for a month!!! Certainly put a dampener on the last few days of out holiday!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
OFTB, Manager at Oaks Festival Towers, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
We really appreciate your efforts to provide detailed and positive feedback following your recent stay at Oaks Festival Towers. We apologise that you found internet charges to be over and above your expectation. We do have different plans that you could select from $12.50----$90.00 plans. These plans come with limited MB, however if you exceed the MB additional charges would occur provide you accept to proceed with the warning (“you have exceed your limit would you like to continue”).

Once again I would like to apologise for the in convince, but I am grateful that you have raised these matter. While I am unable to alter matters of the past, I take your comments most seriously. I hope that we may be able to host you again in the future and provide an improved experience that meets your expectations.