“Nothing fancy”

Brisbane Street Studios
Ranked #90 of 129 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
“Nothing fancy”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

But it was clean and comfortable. Our room was tiny but we managed. It had a bed, bathroom and a fully stocked kitchen bar, they even had a blender. We didn't use the kitchen so I can't comment on the condition of the appliances but they were there. Like other reviews I read, there was a lot of noise coming from the road and hospital and it did keep me up for the first night, after that I drowned it out. We were able to get a parking pass, no problem. Free Internet was nice. The little hair dryer that was in the bathroom was pretty powerful. I have long thick hair.

Room Tip: Try not to get room 7?
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Corbey97

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Bundaberg, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had the pleasure of staying at these units for two weeks due to having to be in Brisbane for medical reasons. We found these units very well appointed (most of them) very clean, a reasonable size have a small kitchette microwave small cooker bar fridge washer dryer.
Parking not an issue as we were given a parking pass although it is on street parking. Very handy to shopping centre ( across the road) restaurants within walking distance, not too many but enoughto eat out most nights. Public transport in front of studios, not expensive to taxi into city, only approx 10 mins,also next door to PA Hospital. Staff very good and friendly.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Marina N
Ballina, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2013

If you are on a budget and need to be near or get to Princess Alexander Hospital this may well be the place for you. It would also be OK for other visit to Brisbane being about (depending on traffic) about 20 minutes on bus to the city. The place was clean and generally had what you would need for a short stay. The bad bits? My room was small and any cooking just fills it up with whatever it is that you are making. The TV is small but did have some foxtel. It is quite noisy at all times due to being near a busy city road and there is noise from other guests coming and going etc. There is no free parking (despite what may be said elsewhere) unless you are lucky to get one of two available permits. In the end you get what you pay for so it is about right. Pillows were bad so I spent $15 on one from "Pillow talk" across the street. There are supermakets and shops nearby and some asian style resturants. If you are going to use public transport you will need a "Transit Card" otherwise the prices are outrageous ( eg. $5.50 for a ten minute bus ride).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank smartywishbone
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Good hotel location, comfortable rooms, very independent from each other, each room has its own covered terrace (very appropiate for Brisbane weather) besides, the personnel attention it is very good, always there to support and give you tips about the city, very useful if you are new in town...

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank travelerX S
Peradeniya, Sri Lanka
Reviewed August 1, 2012

We stayed in a "budget" apartment for 5 days (on a conference visit across the river at UQ). Although the accommodation was small, we had everything we needed for a short stay. Small fridge, microwave, kitchen utils, iron-board+iron, and a small TV (with remote :) ).

We had frequent buses from the PA Hospital station to UQ (that was a relief. I was kind of worried about the public transport) and also to the city.

Like mentioned in other reviews, the location is next to a main hospital (PA) and therefore, might be little noisy; but, the hospital related noise didn't bother me much compared to the noise of the high way next to the studios. Some of the units (unit numbers 9-16) are facing the Ipswich road and they are with noise and I wont recommend those units (we got one of those).

Overall, I think it is worth the price and would recommend it.

Room Tip: Some of the units (unit numbers 9-16) are facing the Ipswich road and they are with noise and I wont...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Roshan_Ragel
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 15, 2012

We booked here only a few days before we were due to leave the UK for Australia. I had an email asking if I would pay a deposit and I asked if I could pay in full when I arrived. This was agreed too which I was very grateful for as I didn't want my credit card charged straight away. When we arrived we were welcomed and shown to our room. Told a bit about the local shops and left to get our things sorted. The room although small was well equipped with what you would need in a serviced apartment. More importantly it was clean, no problems with towels, sheets or kitchen, everything was spotless. We did find as we were on the main road it could be a bit noisy but we slept fine every night and it didn't spoil our stay at all. There are rooms that are not on the main road and would be quieter. In fact we had a three night stay back in Brisbane before we were due to fly out and we didn't bother to find the cheapest deal we decided to book straight into here. The cheapest rate wasn't available so we paid a bit more and had a much bigger room with its own washer/dryer - previously though our washing was done for us free of charge! Free wireless and plug in internet is a huge bonus. It is convient to the train station, shops and close to the city without being in the centre. The man who checked us in the second time we stayed was so friendly and helpful I was glad I stayed there again.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Loulouberts
Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2011

I too found this place noisy. It is next to a major hospital so sirens can be heard frequently. The shower has not screen so water goes everywhere in the bathroom. This only works if your floor is well drained, the one in my room wasn't. The bed was not so comfortable and the TV in the room was small with no remote.

On the plus side, it is near a shopping centre and many restaurants and cafes. The internet is complementary and it is fast.

Would I stay again, only if I could not find somewhere better for the price.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Keithsutt
MauriceBSS, Manager at Brisbane Street Studios, responded to this review, July 31, 2012
Disabled bathrooms in 3 of the studios are large and open so guests in a wheelchair can move around. There was a problem with water splashing so we have installed shower curtains to prevent this problem.