“Superb”

Ranked #2 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Melbourne, Australia
“Superb”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 23, 2013

The King spa suite at the Emporium was a lovely surprise from my partner for my birthday. I didn't know what to expect but I can say that I felt thoroughly spoilt. The hotel has a luxurious look and feel which is apparent from the moment you step into the lobby and continues throughout the whole hotel including the suite. I would rate this hotel as one of the best that I have stayed in
There was absolutely nothing to fault, everything was perfect. Excellent service by all staff.
In fact, I have never been to a hotel establishment where all the staff from check in, bar staff, concierge to cleaners were so genuinely warm and happy. On arrival, the concierge were attentive and helpful. Our car was taken away promptly to be valet parked and we were immediately escorted to the check in area without having to look around. Check in ran smoothly by a professional, efficient and friendly staff member. Then there was the friendly porter who brought our luggage to our room! The bed was very comfortable with quality linen and a pillow menu with a choice of pillows. All the furnishings were superior, modern and luxurious. Great colour scheme throughout the suite, fitted out with a large tv and behind some concertina doors we found a small kitchenette complete with microwave and a modern dishwasher. Lots of useful extras found in the kitchenette drawers that you often seem to need when you're away, like a bottle opener, panadol, etc. Felt like a day spa with the quality furnishings and fixtures throughout the bathroom. The spa was so divine. No noise from traffic or from other quests and I slept like a log all night. On the top floor there is a heated swimming pool and from there you will find amazing views of the city. There is also a gym and a sauna on the same floor. Would have loved to have a swim in the heated swimming pool in the middle of winter, then use the sauna but didn't bring along the swim suit. The hotel is in a great location, close to some lovely upmarket shops including a large choice of restaurants. Extra touches like finding Lindt chocolates on our pillow after returning from dinner and bottles of water left in our car when it was returned to us at check out the following day made our stay even more special. Everything was a breeze including check out. I loved my stay at the Emporium Hotel. My only regret is that I couldn't stay longer. It won't be difficult to find a reason to return to this glamorous hotel.

Room Tip: Lovely meal and atmosphere at a Moroccan restaurant called the Mecca Bah.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank BrisbaneWendy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Attention to detail is superb on fixtures and fittings. Rooms are gorgeous and that bed was like sleeping on a cloud. Check in, housekeeping and concierge staff courteous and attentive. Only negative was with the cocktail lounge - I visited twice, on my own, and was ignored for 15-20 mins both times while bar staff laughed and talked between themselves. No one appeared to be watching the room for guests requiring attention. The service was so poor the second night that I left after 25 mins without having my order taken.

• Stayed July 2013
EmporiumManagement, Executive Assistant Manager at Emporium Hotel, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Dear Mary Jo N,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at Emporium Hotel.

Firstly, we sincerely apologise for your disappointing Cocktail Bar experience on this occasion. We appreciate your feedback and please be assured that your comments have been shared with our Food and Beverage Operations Manager. Immediate steps have been taken to ensure this does not happen in future and the Emporium attentive service is delivered to our guests.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon, so that we may truly display the high level of service to which the Emporium Hotel constantly aspires.

Regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

From the moment we arrived, the service was 5 star. The check in, the bed turn down service, valet parking, the suite, the room service breakfast! Loved it! Nothing was too much trouble. Can't wait to go back!

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a boutique hotel that has a very comfortable bed and well appointed rooms. Staff is friendly and the room service is decent. They don't have their own restaurant but the Italian place next door is open for all meals. Good bars and restaurants close by

Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

I came up to Brisbane with my wife and decided to try a different hotel so stayed at the Emporium based on reviews. This is obviously a smaller boutique hotel than its other 5 star competitors and is more personal. I have stayed at a few other properties and because of its size it doesn’t have their facilities. You walk into a very small lobby which looks like it has plain cement floors and only really a bar for you to relax in, if you do not want to exit the hotel. The reception area was a bit small but then again I wasn’t there long. If you don't want to sit in the bar or leave the hotel your only real option is room service which has a 'tray charge' that most hotels like to charge. The room price was much higher then the other hotels but I did want to try it here so decided to book anyway.

Other then that the hotel is great, they offer free Internet and water which I like and the rooms, although not my taste, are original and different. It is a long walk from the main CBD area but we were just there for the night so it was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my fiancé after a night in another hotel in Brisbane.
I had booked the enchanted evening package and was very excited to be able to stay in such a good rating hotel!
When I got to check in that's where problems occurred, the staff couldn't find my booking and asked if I had booked it under a different name. I felt abit upset abit this though I trusted it would be sorted out, as it was!
The room was on the 7th floor and was the king spa suite.
It had a huge tv, king bed, spa, marble shower and heaps of other things. I was very impressed with the variety of things that the room offered.
One thing though was I wasn't too sure of staying in the room number we had (as I am superstitious of karmic numbers) so I asked my partner reluctantly if we could change rooms.
The staff were very understanding and said sure, though the room would be on a lower level. I said okay.
We moved quickly into the next room, although after a while felt this wasn't the best choice to of made (as the other room was heaps better!) so I asked to move back! ( I am so annoying I know) anyway the staff were really really understanding and it was no issue :) I even found one of my shoes had been left near the bed!
My partner and I went out while we had the room set up for the romantic turn down, and when we returned it was really special - rose petals in the shape of a heart on the bed, chocolates, candles, music and sparkling.
Though it wasn't till later the next day when reading over the package we noticed we were meant to get French sparkling insteas of $15 wolf blass :( which we were disapointed with.
Anyway we ordered room service for dinner and my partner had signed for the food (as told by staff in the bar below to add to bill instead of cash payment) and then found out he had been given the wrong information and the guy came back asking for his credit card to hold (which meant we couldn't go out), then the guy came back again and said it was okay and gave back the card, which I don't really understand.
The food was okay, had gone a cold on arrival and wasn't worth the cost but still was nice eating in the room with the candles and music.
After dinner I called up room service to order a bottle of bubbly though the guy who had been to our room with the dinner order said "sorry man we can't do it unless you have cash" and told me to go to a atm to get cash out or open one of the half bottles in the mini bar. I felt kinda hopeless because I didn't have cash on me (because i had put it on deposit $200 for the room and had none on my card and the only way I could get any was to ask my partner though he was in the spa and didn't want to get up and go to the atm to get cash out.
So I decided to open the mini bottle of champagne.
Other then that the night was nice.
In the morning we had breakfast
room serviced breakfast which was included in our package.
It was pretty nice (cinnamon scroll, poached eggs etc) were really yum! Although they left out a poached egg for my partner and scrambled so we had to ask if that could be brought up to us.
we had a late check out of 1pm for our stay and I wanted to go back to sleep for a few hours after breakfast, we recirved a call from reception asking when we would be checking out? i have never experienced that before in any hotel.
And after that call the phone kept on ringing in the room which was really really annoying :( and my partner would answer it and it would hang up. (this happened every 10-15 minutes over the span of 2 hours).
We checked out and spoke to reception about the sparkling that was part of the package being wrong and they were empathic and apologetic. They offered $40 off the package stay which was nice.
To be honest I would of loved to be able to give this hotel a great rating though I left feeling letdown and unimpressed with the amounts of mistakes that were made during my stay with my fiancé on our special occasion :(
Some of the staff were really helpful and attentive though, it's just a shame that a whole lot of little things add up to a disappointing stay. :'(

2 Thank Trappedreams
EmporiumManagement, Executive Assistant Manager at Emporium Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Trappedreams,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Emporium Hotel and sharing your feedback.

We sincerely apologise that your experience did not reflect the usual Emporium Hotel service standard. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the issues you experienced in more detail. Please contact the Hotel Duty Manager, so we can further review and personally address all your comments.

For the benefit of Trip Advisor readers, the Hotel’s credit policy for cash paying guests is clearly outlined in a letter, which we provide to guests on arrival.

Regarding feedback on the method of address; our team are trained to address all guests by their name or to use the term Sir, Madam, or Mam. It seems that a staff member may have addressed you as Mam rather than ‘man’.

Once again we apologise that your expectations we’re not met and welcome the opportunity to discuss this further.

Regards
Sudbury/Toronto/Adelaide/Auckland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a great hotel... I mean, there is better out there but this hotel has everything you want... A good bar, great (I mean Great!) staff, very good rooms etc..

Here are some examples of the good points:
The Staff are friendly and attentive.
The bathroom has floor lights so you dont have to turn on the glaring lights first thing in the morning or in the middle of the night.
A selection of pillow and very nice bedding.
Lovely Décor.
Good lap pool.

The only grumble I would have with the Hotel is, the $4 tray charge for ordering room service breakfast!!? What the? I mean, after paying (well my work paid) $280ish to stay the night and $35 for cereal and toast... $4 for a tray? That needs to stop.

Other than that... congrats on a good hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business