“Decent hotel for a quick stop in Brisbane”
Review of Emporium Hotel

Emporium Hotel
Ranked #2 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
“Decent hotel for a quick stop in Brisbane”
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

This is a boutique hotel that has a very comfortable bed and well appointed rooms. Staff is friendly and the room service is decent. They don't have their own restaurant but the Italian place next door is open for all meals. Good bars and restaurants close by

• Stayed July 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Indonesian first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I came up to Brisbane with my wife and decided to try a different hotel so stayed at the Emporium based on reviews. This is obviously a smaller boutique hotel than its other 5 star competitors and is more personal. I have stayed at a few other properties and because of its size it doesn’t have their facilities. You walk into a very small lobby which looks like it has plain cement floors and only really a bar for you to relax in, if you do not want to exit the hotel. The reception area was a bit small but then again I wasn’t there long. If you don't want to sit in the bar or leave the hotel your only real option is room service which has a 'tray charge' that most hotels like to charge. The room price was much higher then the other hotels but I did want to try it here so decided to book anyway.

Other then that the hotel is great, they offer free Internet and water which I like and the rooms, although not my taste, are original and different. It is a long walk from the main CBD area but we were just there for the night so it was great.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my fiancé after a night in another hotel in Brisbane.
I had booked the enchanted evening package and was very excited to be able to stay in such a good rating hotel!
When I got to check in that's where problems occurred, the staff couldn't find my booking and asked if I had booked it under a different name. I felt abit upset abit this though I trusted it would be sorted out, as it was!
The room was on the 7th floor and was the king spa suite.
It had a huge tv, king bed, spa, marble shower and heaps of other things. I was very impressed with the variety of things that the room offered.
One thing though was I wasn't too sure of staying in the room number we had (as I am superstitious of karmic numbers) so I asked my partner reluctantly if we could change rooms.
The staff were very understanding and said sure, though the room would be on a lower level. I said okay.
We moved quickly into the next room, although after a while felt this wasn't the best choice to of made (as the other room was heaps better!) so I asked to move back! ( I am so annoying I know) anyway the staff were really really understanding and it was no issue :) I even found one of my shoes had been left near the bed!
My partner and I went out while we had the room set up for the romantic turn down, and when we returned it was really special - rose petals in the shape of a heart on the bed, chocolates, candles, music and sparkling.
Though it wasn't till later the next day when reading over the package we noticed we were meant to get French sparkling insteas of $15 wolf blass :( which we were disapointed with.
Anyway we ordered room service for dinner and my partner had signed for the food (as told by staff in the bar below to add to bill instead of cash payment) and then found out he had been given the wrong information and the guy came back asking for his credit card to hold (which meant we couldn't go out), then the guy came back again and said it was okay and gave back the card, which I don't really understand.
The food was okay, had gone a cold on arrival and wasn't worth the cost but still was nice eating in the room with the candles and music.
After dinner I called up room service to order a bottle of bubbly though the guy who had been to our room with the dinner order said "sorry man we can't do it unless you have cash" and told me to go to a atm to get cash out or open one of the half bottles in the mini bar. I felt kinda hopeless because I didn't have cash on me (because i had put it on deposit $200 for the room and had none on my card and the only way I could get any was to ask my partner though he was in the spa and didn't want to get up and go to the atm to get cash out.
So I decided to open the mini bottle of champagne.
Other then that the night was nice.
In the morning we had breakfast
room serviced breakfast which was included in our package.
It was pretty nice (cinnamon scroll, poached eggs etc) were really yum! Although they left out a poached egg for my partner and scrambled so we had to ask if that could be brought up to us.
we had a late check out of 1pm for our stay and I wanted to go back to sleep for a few hours after breakfast, we recirved a call from reception asking when we would be checking out? i have never experienced that before in any hotel.
And after that call the phone kept on ringing in the room which was really really annoying :( and my partner would answer it and it would hang up. (this happened every 10-15 minutes over the span of 2 hours).
We checked out and spoke to reception about the sparkling that was part of the package being wrong and they were empathic and apologetic. They offered $40 off the package stay which was nice.
To be honest I would of loved to be able to give this hotel a great rating though I left feeling letdown and unimpressed with the amounts of mistakes that were made during my stay with my fiancé on our special occasion :(
Some of the staff were really helpful and attentive though, it's just a shame that a whole lot of little things add up to a disappointing stay. :'(

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Trappedreams
EmporiumManagement, Executive Assistant Manager at Emporium Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Dear Trappedreams,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Emporium Hotel and sharing your feedback.

We sincerely apologise that your experience did not reflect the usual Emporium Hotel service standard. We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss the issues you experienced in more detail. Please contact the Hotel Duty Manager, so we can further review and personally address all your comments.

For the benefit of Trip Advisor readers, the Hotel’s credit policy for cash paying guests is clearly outlined in a letter, which we provide to guests on arrival.

Regarding feedback on the method of address; our team are trained to address all guests by their name or to use the term Sir, Madam, or Mam. It seems that a staff member may have addressed you as Mam rather than ‘man’.

Once again we apologise that your expectations we’re not met and welcome the opportunity to discuss this further.

Regards
Sudbury/Toronto/Adelaide/Auckland
Reviewed July 14, 2013

This is a great hotel... I mean, there is better out there but this hotel has everything you want... A good bar, great (I mean Great!) staff, very good rooms etc..

Here are some examples of the good points:
The Staff are friendly and attentive.
The bathroom has floor lights so you dont have to turn on the glaring lights first thing in the morning or in the middle of the night.
A selection of pillow and very nice bedding.
Lovely Décor.
Good lap pool.

The only grumble I would have with the Hotel is, the $4 tray charge for ordering room service breakfast!!? What the? I mean, after paying (well my work paid) $280ish to stay the night and $35 for cereal and toast... $4 for a tray? That needs to stop.

Other than that... congrats on a good hotel!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank -OnTourTwo-
Brisbane
Reviewed July 13, 2013

From our first step out of the car and upon entering the unique and luxurious reception lobby through to leaving the next day, we were constantly impressed!

We were greeted by a very dapper and friendly porter when we parked the car at the front door who took great care of our luggage and even recommended a nearby restaurant. (Valet parking is $35).

The front entrance and lobby area had the "wow" factor and was richly decorated in colours of red and silver with mirrors everywhere. Check in was very friendly and efficient - great service.

Our jaws dropped upon entering our room - they had thought of every little detail. The room was lushly decorated - sheer curtains, comfy huge bed, large TV screen etc.

On sliding back the concertina doors (and expecting it to be a wardrobe), we were surprised to find a kitchenette, complete with microwave oven.

The ensuite was large with a ceiling-to-floor glass shower recess. Beaut amenities including their motifs on the soaps, towels and coasters.

The ensuite had "night lights" built into the lower walls which is so handy when you get up at night and don't have to turn a main light on. Behind the ensuite door was a cleverly hidden laundrette.

There was so many extras - too numerous to mention - but all with attention to detail. As an example, we requested 2 contour pillows (from their Pillow menu) and they were delivered by a lass dressed in a classy "french maid-style outfit" (wasn't tacky at all) and the pillows were wrapped with a red ribbon and a note attached from the Housekeeping team.

The good service continued in the bar/lounge area downstairs which was also superbly decorated including a chandelier and various styles of comfortable seating. Their wine cellar was behind lit glass doors which was quite effective.

The hotel is surrounded by many eateries - all different cuisines - along with nearby shops. There is a bus stop close-by which will take you into the city (about 5mins away).

On returning to our room that night, they had turned down our bed and left 2 chocolates on each side along with their own branded bottles of water.

Checking out was friendly and swift and the porter had our car waiting for us. As we drove away, we noticed they had placed a bottle of water each into the car's console - it's things like this that you remember long after you have paid the bill.

Would definitely return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Cairns, Australia
Reviewed July 13, 2013

A true surprise staying in this lovely boutique hotel. Very deserving of its 5 star status. The foyer as one walks in is not only delightful but Bohemia in essence with a touch of glamour and style. A truly delightfully stay one that will conjurer many happy memories for me. Almost 100 % glamorous. However Hotel Como dose slightly out beat it. Situated in a great precedent.. Walking distance to wonderful shopping and night life in the valley of Brisbane along with the New Farm Farmers Markets which are very much a must. Room was clean with lovely extras. Beautiful luxurious bed linen and pre chocolates for free prior to bed. Staff very friendly polite and professional. A truly magnificent stay. Highly commendable.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed July 12, 2013

Having been kidnapped by my wife for my bithday,it turned out my surprise destination was the Emporium Hotel. From arrival to departure the sevice was nothing short of exceptional with no department falling short of the mark. The true standout was the genuine staff not going through the motions but engaging guests with real warmth and attention to detail. Highlights of this hotel are many, from stylish rooms and decor to the sophisticated bar area that is sure to impress. Here again the quality of service excelled, with 2 cocktails included in the package my wife booked. I went to order and was presented with an impressive list but decided to follow my usual rule of asking the barman for a recommendation. What followed was an enthusiastic analysis of my spirit preferences, additives and strength of flavours. The drink was fanstastic, one of the best cocktails I've ever had. If you are planning anything from a romantic escape to a business stay, Emporium is worth the extra spend.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple