“What ? 1.x% extra for credit card payments - but then who pays cash ?!!?”

Pullman Brisbane King George Square
Ranked #47 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed April 26, 2009

This is a pretty good hotel - got a reasonable deal for around $220 on Wotif, which included breakfast and internet. That's a pretty good deal. Location is a short walk to the main shopping drag in the centre of Brisbane, and close to the Casino etc.
The room was pretty good - looked like it had been renovated recently, good TV and excellent new bed, and bedding. Good bathroom. Shower the "over the bath" type - not my preference but ok. View was ordinary. Aircon excellent - but very noisy.
The gym is excellent - very well equipped, but really really hard to get to - it's in the next hotel tower, and you have to follow a rabbit warren like path to get to it. There is a pool and sauna too, with the gym - but didn't use that.
A few issues:
- Breakfast - of the buffet type. Again, asked to commit to "Full" or "Continental" as soon as you arrive in the restaurant. How can you choose when you haven't seen what's on offer. A personal annoyance of mine - but always an indicator of a 2nd rate place. The food is "ok" at best - a bit dried up.
- They charge 1.x (sorry don't recall the actual .x %) for credit card payments. Now, who pays cash these days. It's not mentioned when you check-in. But frankly it's robbery. What the ?
- The gym is only open 5am to 10pm.... why not 24/7 ??

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank pommie01
Write a ReviewReviews (1,970)

Reviewed April 23, 2009

When we pulled up in our car a porter immediately appeared at the window, I thought he was going to tell us that we couldn't park there, instead he unloaded our bags and whisked them inside before I realised what had happened.

When checking in, the staff were fantastic, very well presented and the lobby looks amazing!! We were also able to check in 2 hours early which was a bonus as we had flown in early that morning and wanted somewhere to lie down.

Our luggage was delivered to the room promptly (a new experience for me, I have always had to lug my own up to the room). I was very impressed when he took the time to unclip my partners suit bag and hang it in the wardrobe. If I'd had some spare cash he would have received a large tip!

The room service was fantastic, the waitress who delivered it was friendly and well presented and the stuffed chicken I ordered was exceptional!

I have worked in hospitality/hotels for many years and am quietly picky about the service I receive. It takes a lot to impress me and I am loyal to those who do. I booked a cheap rate on wotif.com, next time I am in Brisbane I will be staying here again regardless of cost!!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank winter31
Reviewed April 18, 2009

Stayed at this hotel several times during 2007, 2008 and 2009. Most recently April 2009 (twice).

I think it's preferable to try and get into the Sebel tower versus the Citigate tower - the Sebel is the western side closer to Roma St rail yards and Citigate overlooks Ann St/King George Sq.

On the two occasions I've been in the Citigate tower both rooms and corridors have had a smell of cigarette smoke; the first time I actually asked reception to move me, which they did without a problem. The rooms are a fairly standard (small) size, not much desk space for working or setting up a laptop though. No WiFi, but there is a cable for plugging into your laptop.

Sebel tower is much better without any smoke smell, the rooms are a lot bigger with room to work, and for me the beds are probably the most comfortable I've ever slept in all over Australia. I do recommend the Sebel side for business travellers, and probably if you're travelling for pleasure too.

Either way found service in both to be good and happy to stay here again, just would recommend you go for Sebel tower. Location is good, close to Queen St mall and many business locations. Taxi rank out the front.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed April 17, 2009

We stayed at the Citigate for 1 night early Dec for a night out in Brisbane. Upon arrival the concierge took our bags to the reception desk and we handed over our keys to the valet who parked our crummy little festiva in the car park across the road. Already it felt like a holiday! When checking in they asked if we would like to be upgrade to a suite for an extra $20 ( I had booked a superior) when I asked what the difference was I was hoping he would say a spa, but he said the rooms were just a little nicer and the bed was king size. We have a king size at home so we agreed as I find it more comfortable with more room. When we arrived in our room the bed looked tiny!! I called down to reception to ask about the bed and the staff insisted it was a king size 'hotel standards'. Felt a little but ripped off as our kind size at home was at least 1/3 bigger. It look more like a double, couldn't even say it was as big as a queen!! anyway besides the size of the bed the hotel was nice. Bath robe, slippers, comfy, pool on the roof was nice for a swim and the gym was good too. On checkout I thought I would mention the disappointment with the size of the bed again in hope they would offer some compo but no, the lady was pretty abrupt and not even sympathetic. If you do go don't fall for the trap for a cheap upgrade, I believe we were probably booked into that room to begin with!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Foodlover8571
Reviewed April 16, 2009

We got a double room with 2 queen size beds, non smoking floor.
I loved the fact we could park the car and catch the train from our hotel. It was a great trip for our daughter, her first train ride. We went into the Ekka and had a great day.
The hotel was great, loved the pillow menu.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with family
2  Thank coxieSeQld
Reviewed April 3, 2009

Being the fussy traveller that I am, I spent days (literally) researching ALL of the accommodation in Brisbane for my weekend away. I first decided on Citigate and then realised that the Sebel tower is new with bigger rooms and windows and only cost $20 per night more. Very well located and only a short stroll to the mall, casino and a pleasant walk across the bridge to Southbank. My brother and I shared a room with two very comfy queen beds , the bathroom was big and very clean. The staff were very helpful and friendly. The pool was also nice for a dip and a few laps, not resort style though but that didn't matter. Gym looked basic but adequate (I didn't quite make it there despite all good intentions). Very happy with my choice. Hotel website prices equalled any other sites (eg. wotif.com) I checked. HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL AND WILL DEFINATELY STAY HERE WHEN NEXT IN BRISBANE.

• Stayed: March 2009
1  Thank JacWasHere2009
Reviewed March 28, 2009

What a great place. We only stayed one night, but we were really impressed. Clean, large rooms. Good bathroom. Walking distance to city centre. Will certainly stay again.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple