“Twinkle Twinkle Little Star”

Pullman Brisbane King George Square
Ranked #47 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed May 22, 2013

Twinkle Twinkle Little Star - The Star Rating for this Pullman Hotel are very small in deed.
No way that the Pullman Brisbane King George Square is a Five Star Hotel - do not be fooled by by the rating, this is maybe a Three Star at best, an old hotel with a rating way beyond the stars.
The room I was given was darkish and dingy, small too by a Five Star Standard, very dated, the bathroom was gruby, the grout between the tiles in the shower had not a good clean in a very long time, no complmentary tooth brush or razor, no free wi fi or internet.
A good location, but expensive, service or the lack of it is note worthy, asking for a taxi and being told there is Taxi Rank out on the street and pointing to the vehicles parking lot out front (none of which were taxi's) is not very professional for a Five Star Establishment, having drunken youths running wild in the reception area and no sign of security is not what I expected either. Being told at the front desk that the elevators are down there round the corner is not what I expected either, no offer of assistance with baggage, not what I expected either. A very noisy crowded bar called the KG Bar with drunks falling over one another, again no sight of security. I have to wonder why a Hotel is given a Five Star Rating and charges Five Star Prices for belonging to an Exclusive Hotel Group. We did not eat there as we were informed at reception that the Hotel is rather full and the dinning room is too busy, you could try room service??? No thanks took a short walk for take aways.
Been there, done that, ticked it off and am over it - wont be back.

Room Tip: Try a Different Hotel
1  Thank kiwimotorsport
Grant P, General Manager at Pullman Brisbane King George Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 26, 2013

Dear TropoKiwi,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Mercure Brisbane King George Square.

It is disappointing to us that the service you received was not of the standard that you should expect when staying in a hotel, please accept my apologies. We do take all feedback very seriously at the hotel. It is through such feedback, that we can improve our service to meet our guests needs. I will ensure your comments are passed onto our Food & Beverage Manager, Executive Housekeeper and Rooms Division Manager.

Grant Parnell

Write a ReviewReviews (1,932)

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I have recently stayed at the Pullman in Brisbane for 3 nights on business.

The hotel has a nice and central location (some hotels that target business clientele are a bit further out, but this location was much more suitable). It was a 10min walk to the central business district and shopping areas - so quite convenient for work and any shopping bits and pieces you might need to pick up whilst away.

The rooms were very spacious and the bed and pillows very comfortable. The bathroom was also nice and spacious. Check in and and check out was prompt and efficient.

I did have a bit of trouble with my internet connection (Broadband Sim) whilst trying to do some work from the hotel room. It wasn't that much better in the lobby either, but worked much better once in the actual CBD. Not sure if it was just a high traffic time so badnwidth was down, but that was a little frustrating.

The ground floor has a nice bar/restaurant which was a nice place to have a drink at the end of the day. I can't comment on the breakfast buffet, but the few room service meals I ordered were okay/average.

Would be happy to return here again on business in the future.

Dear HolidayDaydreamer,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. I’m glad the hotel met your needs while here on business. Please accept my apologies for the issues you had trying to connect to the internet.

I will share your comments with our team as it serves as good encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to meet our guests needs. HolidayDaydreamer, we look forward to welcoming you again, next time you are in Brisbane.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

I needed a hotel in the centre of Brisbane. The only room available was priced at $450. I chose to add the executive lounge package for convenience.

The airconditioning in my room was too noisy, and I couldn't seem to turn the fan down, so I slept in discomfort.

The executive lounge had all the charm and attractiveness of of budget motel lobby. I would have preferred more healthy options in the canapes; they were mostly fried foods. There was a good selection of wines.

Staff was consistently friendly, and the location is great - but I'd never stay there again.

1  Thank Tassietraveller_348

Dear Tassietraveller_348,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent experience at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. It’s great to hear the staff were friendly throughout your visit. The Executive Lounge is something we are still working on and it is through the feedback we receive from our guests that is helping identify anything that we may be able to adjust to suit our guests needs.

Please be assured that we take all feedback very seriously. I will ensure your comments are passed onto our team.

A TripAdvisor Member
Auckland
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Real Value for money, Breakfast for 2 included WiFi included, valet parking included.
Great spot to stay very handy, excellent food, especially the variety for Breakfast. I definitely recommend this to anyone wanting to stay in Brisbane.
Can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Recently re-branded to Pullman, this hotel attempts to be five star. The lobby is nice, and the service at reception is great (valet to open door of taxi, greeted immediately upon arrival, quick check-in), but the hotel isn't 5*. Old elevators, worn hallways, and a cheap & modern refurb in the rooms (though bathrooms are still old). Also annoying the gym was out of commission, but no mention of this on their website (they send you to a Mercure two blocks away, which is convenient, but the gym doesn't even have free weights). I paid $199 which included internet and free breakfast, which is a great rate in the Brisbane CBD, so for that price it was awesome value. But just don't expect a luxury hotel. The Marriott in Brisbane claims to be 5* as well and is quite rundown, but overall, it is higher quality than the Pullman.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Grant P, General Manager at Pullman Brisbane King George Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2013

Dear Andrew,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. It is disappointing to us that the hotel did not meet your expectations. The gym was out of action in April while they continued our refurbishment; however it is fully functional now with all new equipment.

Please be assured that we take all feedback very seriously. It is through such feedback, that we can improve our hotel to meet our guests needs.

Reviewed May 18, 2013

In general, hotel was well located and staff were exceptionally friendly and helpful. Recently refurbished rooms with nice views and all amenities one would expect if traveling for business. Taxi rank right out front and public transport at doorstep makes it easy to get to wherever you need to go quickly.
Pillows though were terrible - good hotels nowadays offer a pillow menu to cater to all sorts of different preferences. I like firmer pillows, preferably foam or orthopedic ones and the ones in the room were these cheap microfiber things that flatten the minute your head hits it. My neck was so sore the day after.

1  Thank Hollytd

Dear Holly,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. We are very happy with our refurbishment and it’s even better when our guests enjoy it as well.

I’m sorry the pillows were not comfortable for you, unfortunately we don’t have a pillow menu but if you do stay with us again in the future housekeeping does stock a variety of pillows for our guests.

Thankyou again for your feedback, Holly.

Reviewed May 14, 2013

My wife and I have stayed at this hotel when it was the Sebel and under the new management and update of facilities with the Pullman label we were pleased with the overall experience which was further enhanced by the introduction of the executive floor and lounge facilities.We believe that this this upgrade provided value for money and will be happy to stay again when next visiting Brisbane.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple