“Boring but good” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #45 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Brisbane, Australia
“Boring but good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2013

Unlike Sofitel, Pullman recognises Le Club status. That's about the only thing you can say that Pulman has going for it over its Accor cousin.

I quite liked the Spa Suite I stayed in. It's certainly nice, modern and spacious. Oversized desk is good, facing into a wall, bad. The bed is good though standard. The bathroom is very spacious, however probably doesn't define luxury at this point, which another way of saying it is dated.

The executive lounge is merely good as well, if not somewhat lackluster. Perhaps it's because I'm very partial to the Sofitel lounge, but an enclosed room on ground floor with no view whatsoever is a bummer. The breakast is fine if continental is all you're after. You will have to look elsewhere for a hot foods - and I don't mean the on-site resturant, which is decided average. On a positive note, happy hour is great ....

As far as service goes, walking through the door I was dismayed by the tiny checkin desk which services both Pullman and Mercure. However, to their credit they were very accommodating and efficient on all my dealings.

Overall then, I think Pullman is fine - it's good, though certainly not 5-star in my opinion. It's worth a look if you can score a special rate and you have status. Otherwise, there are better options in this price bracket elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Grant P, General Manager at Pullman Brisbane King George Square, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Clifford 712,

Thank you for the time you took to review your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. I’m glad you liked the room in which you stayed and as the lounge is still new to us, we welcome any feedback from our guests that have experienced it, so thank you.

We are presently finishing the final touches of our refurbishment. The reception desk which you were checked it at, is in fact our old concierge desk (the old reception desk was dismantled several weeks ago) and as of yesterday the boarding went up in the lobby for works to begin on our new reception desk which will be positioned in the middle of our lobby area in front of the doors.

Clifford712, I will ensure your comments are passed onto our team and I hope we can welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Grant Parnell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Desford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Very comfortable beds and a great location but I found the hotel was let down on 2 counts by it's "gym" facilities.
When compared to sister hotels (also part of the Accor group) in the mercure and Novotel, I had a work out just to get to the gym and then found it had limited access (novotel is 24 hour) and minimal equipment. When away from home I wanted something more.
One night i ate in the restaurant with a colleague and while the food was ok it could have been so much better with just a limited choice and too many standard dishes. I didn't eat breakfast at the hotel because (like so many Australian hotels) the prices are just a rip off. It also annoys me that Australian hotels think it's ok to charge extra for wireless internet access. (both are pet peeves of mine)
All in all though if you ignore the annoyances I would go back here as the rooms are good and sleep quality fine. I'd jsut make sure I ate elsewhere and brought my own exercise equipment with me.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear Pieter,

Thankyou for your review of the hotel. Unfortunately the gym isn’t 24hours as you found out, however it is open 5.30-10.00pm each day. You have some very valid points in your comment for us to follow-up on and I thank you for that as it helps us to improve our service for future guests.

Pieter, I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you again at the hotel.

Gold Coast
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

Stayed at the Brissy Pullman which on the site I booked was a self rated 5 star - I think they are a little ahead of themselves and it shouldn't be rated 5 probably 4. There are two towers of this hotel one side is the Mecure and the other the Pullman - The Mecure occupies the older of the two towers but has the swimming pool and gym. The Pullman has been renovated and the room was spacious, clean but not luxurious as expected in a 5 start. You have to go down in the lift and cross over between buildings to use the pool or gym - on the roof. The location is good, the bar downstairs was a great place to sit and relax. The concierge staff were very good and valet parked our car - and had it ready on the driveway the next morning. There is an additonal charge for parking - $28 which is very good in the city. Our room overlooked the Roma Street parklands and train line - so I'm sure the other side would have had some city views - would have preferred that of course. Check in and out was quick and the staff friendly. Wouldn't be my first choice in Brisbane but is ok if you get a competitive room rate just dont expect 5 stars.

Room Tip: Ask if you can be on the town hall side for a possible city view
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Judi M,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. It sounds like you got to experience the fantastic customer service our staff deliver at the hotel. Please be assured that we take all feedback very seriously. It is through such feedback, that we can improve our service to meet our guests needs and I hope that we can welcome you again in the future.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Large and comfortable bed, full blackout darkness (important for those of us trying to have a rare sleep-in!) and staff at check in-and-out were fast and friendly. I will stay again without hesitation.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dalby, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

Staff were wonderful. Executive room was well appointed, very clean and spacious. Club lounge nibbles were nice but were a little slow in replacement. Not exceptional... but nice. Club staff were attentive with drinks. Restaurant was disappointing in regard to the menu. The Room service menu was exceptional, but Restaurant did not have similar meals - especially the Wood fired pizzas. All in all we really enjoyed our stay and have booked our return stay already!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear 541401Mike,

I would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Pullman Brisbane King George Square. It’s great to hear you enjoyed your stay at the hotel and I will ensure your comments are passed onto our team.

Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

When a hotel bills itself as 4.5 stars, it sets expectations. When these expectations fall flat, it creates disappointment. That's what happened here.

It's not that the hotel was bad, however, my overall opinion of this place was that it was a bit of a ripoff. There is some competition in Brisbane now for upscale accommodation, and these guys don't have a clue.

Overall, the place would be a reasonable 3 stars. Calling itself 4.5 stars is taking the mickey. The room was functional, but small, there was no ice in the minibar, the sounds of water running in nearby rooms was so bad I asked to be moved. There was absolutely no view from either of my rooms.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank porotodean
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

Dear Sir/ Mdm,

I am writing to let you know how much I appreciate the outstanding customer service that your staff provided. I'd like to compliment a few of your employees, Keiron, Micheal, for the excellent service they provided me last week. They helped me to search for my misplaced items when I checked out on the 23rd January 2013.

Please let Keiron and Micheal, as well as the other employees in your department, know that their efforts did not go unnoticed. You have put together a great team that makes customers feel respected and valued.

Yours sincerely,
Ruth

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Ruth,

Your comments regarding the customer service and team at the hotel are much appreciated and we cannot thankyou enough. We do have some fantastic team members at the hotel and I will ensure your comments are passed onto Michael and Keiron.