“Could have been better” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #53 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
Norfolk Island, Australia
“Could have been better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2013

This hotels has a great potential and a fantastic location but lacks the comfort of a nice place and is highly overpriced for what else it has to offer.
We stayed at the best of their apartments with the view of the Story Bridge.
(+) The bedrooms were very small but nice, recently renovated. One bedroom had a king size bed and the other - a queen bed.
(+) Floor to ceiling windows.
(+) The wardrobes and mirror sliding doors that made rooms look bigger.
(++) Beautiful views of the city and the bridge. There was a balcony in the lounge room.

(-) Curtains in the bedrooms (being proper blackout curtains) were useless as they didn't meet by about a meter.
(-) The blankets were much smaller than they should be for the beds of that size (looked like a double blanket on the queen bed and a queen duvet on the king bed.
(-) In one of the bedrooms my 4-year old found a water bottle and packing from stockings under the bed (lucky it wasn't anything more exciting!).
(-) The daylight fluros (blue-ish daylight ones) make rooms look very formal, uninviting and 20 years older.
(-) The kitchen stove was very rusty. Only one dinner plate, one short tumbler, two tall tumblers, the crockery wasn't in a set. However, sufficient appliances.
(-) It's impossible to get in to the underground parking without reception assistance (need to ring them from your own phone when you get to the gates. Poor signage in the parking - had to get out of the car to find the parking lot we were advised to use ($25 per day).
(-) The parking and corridors look a bit gloomy.

Bathrooms were outdated but ok.

Aircon only on the lounge room and ceiling fans in the bedrooms. It was very warm in the bedrooms and I think it may be very hot there in summer.

When I was waiting to check out, I witnessed an unhappy customer raving about the room service (or rather its absence) so, unfortunately, we were not the only ones us who didn't feel Oask on Felix was the place we would choose to stay again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Anomalia
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to post your review, and for pointing out the great features that we have to offer including the beautiful floor to ceiling widows which allows our guests to take full advantage of the wonderful views.
It is an unpleasant experience to receive unfavourable feedback; however your comments serve as an invaluable source of information that will ensure we continue to improve our service standards. Oaks hold the management rights to the building however, we do not own the building itself therefore an intercom system has to be approved via the Buildings Body Corporate, which unfortunately is not an option right now. A quick call to our reception staff is all it takes to let them know you have arrived, they will open the car parking gates and direct you on where to park.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Thai first
Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stay here for business travel. I really like the idea of having a kitchen to make my own meals because Brisbane restaurants are expensive. I also like having a balcony I can step out on to and enjoy some fresh air. The river view rooms are especially nice. Its also nice to have a clothes washer and dryer. The only thing I don't like about this hotel is that the hallways SMELL bad. I stayed once and the smell was bad. I figured it was just someone's cooking. But I went back 6 months later on a different floor and it was the same smell. It was just foul. I'm not sure if it was the trash chute located on each floor or what. I even asked the cleaning crew about it and they could not smell anything. I asked the front desk about it and I came back to my room later to find my balcony door open, apparently to try and solve it but fresh air. I would run from the elevator to my room just to get away from it and I had to leave my balcony door open. I may stay at another Oaks next time and hope for the best. Rooms were very quiet. I could not hear anyone in the room next to me which is always a plus..

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, July 21, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to email your comments about your recent stay at Oaks on Felix. I was disappointed and concerned to learn that your stay was disturbed by an unpleasant odour on your floor.

Regarding the rubbish chutes that run through the core of the building, these are a constant challenge as their effectiveness relies on the co-operation of all residents of the building and the observance of proper waste disposal guidelines. Oaks on Felix like many inner city apartment properties, has a proportion of residents as well as guests, and in our case approximately 50% of the apartments in the building are privately tenanted. The rubbish chute is regularly commercially cleaned and this was done most recently just a few weeks ago. There is also a machine installed on the lower levels that pumps ozone up through the chute to neutralize any odours.

As Oaks does not own the building itself (we have the management rights only), I am in constant liaison with the Body Corporate on issues of any infrastructure, plant and equipment challenges that require their financial input and approval.

I appreciate the feedback you have provided and will use that as leverage to further address this issue via the body corporate.

I do hope that you may reconsider utilizing Oaks on Felix again for future stays
Stock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2013

Stayed here as part of a package deal for the weekend. We had a 2 bedroom apartment for 4 people. It was OK, just about big enough for 4 adults, but probably better suited to parents with kids. The apartment had just 1 bathroom which was ensuite to one of the bedrooms - not ideal for couples sharing. However the small kitchen was well appointed and there was washing machine and tumble drier on site too. The Oaks has an outdoor swimming pool and a small gym which were both pleasant enough. Would not have chosen this accommodation had it not been part of a package, but it was nice enough and had a very nice café / restaurant (Spring) just next door for breakfast and it was a short walk into the main shopping / entertainment area - so all in all not a bad place to stay.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hi, and thanks for taking the time out to pass on your feedback. We're glad you were able to make full use of our facilities, in particular the full laundry and kitchen facilities available in all of our apartments. With regards to your 2-bedroom apartment only having one bathroom, you can guarantee 2-bedroom/2-bathrooms by booking our Story Bridge View apartments.

Thanks again and we hope to see you in Brisbane next time you're in town!
South Shields, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2013

We stayed at the Oaks for a week whilst in Brisbane to follow the British Lions Rugby tour. The Oaks on Felix was a perfect location with everything within sensible walking distance,the Queen st shopping mall 5 mins away,Eagle St Pier 2 mins,South Bank area 20 mins.
We stayed in a two bedroom apartment and the rooms were well appointed, clean and the beds very comfortable. Room maids were very accomodating regarding cleaning times and very pleasant. All in all very nice accomodation with spectacular views of the river too.
The only thing preventing us from giving a 5 star rating were the front desk staff and like other reviewers the internet charges. To be fair the staff were very efficient if asked to do anything they just werent very friendly. A good morning would be 'returned' but never just given and they stood out on our tour as the only ones not to enquire 'hows your trip going?' or any pleasantry at all. Internet charges were crazy! How can a coffee shop across the road provide free internet with a AUS $4 transaction but a hotel charging AUS $295/night cant?
But on balance we liked the Oaks and would recommend it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hi Bill, and thanks for taking the out out to pass on your feedback to us. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us during the Lions tour - it was certainly a great atmosphere here in Brisbane and it was a pleasure having you here. We're also big fans of our views out over the river & hope you were able to get similar views in your other destinations.

With regards to your comments re: staff, it is a reminder to us about how important it is to greet guests as they walk past. There's always room for improvement and your constructive criticism certainly reminds us of this.

Thanks again and we hope to see you here next time you're in Brisbane.
Caloundra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed for 3 nights for our son's wedding. Front of house staff were great. Need champagne glasses- no problem, how many? Need a visitor's car space for photographer and make up artist- no problem. Need extra wine glasses on the last night- no problem. Made a big difference to us and was much appreciated. Our DVD player doesn't seem to be working. No problem- we'll be there! Can't ask for more than that. Made a big difference to us and was much appreciated. The views were fantastic and worth paying extra for! Cleanliness in the shower and kitchen needs to be reviewed but overall a great stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, July 14, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Oaks on Felix, It’s always fantastic to hear that our staff went that little extra mile for you to ensure your stay was enjoyable. I will ensure your feedback is past on to our housekeeping department and all staff are congratulated for their achievements.
mackay,australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2013

As was visiting Brisbane with my husband I wanted to stay near the Pier area, with its lovely walking areas and restaurants.
When I come with my Mum and Daughter it is all shopping, shopping, shopping!
Not so this time, was very happy with our views of the river and the close proximity to the restaurants.
The room was excellent,,I have had great excellect stays with all the Oaks I have stayed at. The staff was great, the room was spacious, the balcony huge and the beds comfortable.
We were a block from the Pier area and could see our favourite restaurant Georges Paragon Seafood Restaurant from the window.
Their is a taxi rank across the road near the motel and a conienience store just below.
We did have to walk a block to get our wine and beer, so that was proberly a down side.
I will definitely be staying at this motel again.

Room Tip: You can choose to pay extra for the rooms that face the river!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, July 16, 2013
Hi Squeek, thanks for taking the time out to pass on your feedback. We're glad you enjoyed your stay with us - we're glad you're as fond of the Story Bridge views as we are! We will also pass on your feedback to our staff.

We look forward to seeing you again in the future!
Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2013

Perhaps Brisbane has gotten so expensive, travelers should not expect any quality by paying $265 per night for 2 bedroom rental. We had this 14 nights in Oak Felix and difinetely didn't feel the money was well spent. The space is good but the finishing is basic. The kitchen utensils are so cheap, so broken and worn and dirty. Both bedrooms had no air-con, the heat was so intense in the morning, it was impossible anyone could stays in the room pass 10:00am. Luckily it was winter time, those 2 rooms gets cool down by late afternoon. I feel sorry if any traveler had to stay here during the summer heat. Most classic was, I don't believe I had slept on poly form cover in my life. I truly believe I deserve more after paying $265 per night other than $10 dollars poly form blanket and pillows.
And, don't get fooled by the daily room service. It was nothing but make the bed and take out garbage. Bring gloves and toilet spray because if you plan to stay more than couple days, you are the one has to get down to your knee to scrub the sink and toilet.

Room Tip: Ask for air-con room and choice a unit with a owner who cares.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
OaksFelix, Manager at Oaks Felix, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to post your comments, It is certainly an unpleasant experience to receive unfavourable feedback; however your comments serve as an invaluable source of information that will ensure we continue to improve service standards. We take your comments seriously and sincerely regret any upset caused to you during your stay.
If informed, our team here at Felix take ownership of all feedback and are extremely pro-active when any issues arise. I encourage all our guests to come and communicate any issues with us so we can be pro-active in resolving them for you. All of our apartments have ceiling fans in the bedrooms and Air-conditioning in the lounge.