“Why not fly?”
Review of Tilt Train

Tilt Train
Ranked #128 of 385 things to do in Brisbane
More attraction details
Owner description: The Tilt Train not only transports you through some of the most beautiful scenery, it also extends the gift of more time to explore it. The Tilt Train between Brisbane and Rockhampton operates almost daily in each direction. Escape the everyday with an experience onboard the new generation of train travel, the Spirit of Queensland, travelling the Queensland coast between Brisbane and Cairns. Designed for relaxation, the Spirit of Queensland combines modern seating and entertainment options with the romance of long distance rail travel.
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I do not rate it value for money unless one is a pensioner. Most of the stops have been reduced to sidings away fro cities and one knows when a station is approaching when all the smokers race to the front to be able to smoke while the train shunts. Though more expensive alone if you are in a group by all means hire a car or camper van and see all the things you will not see on the train as I've made the habit.. 20 hours or so to Cairns !! Once was enough

All reviews
"met some lovely people"
"roma street station"
"free wifi"

Reviewed April 19, 2013

I purchased an Ausrail pass in Canada a month prior to my visit in Australia in Jan/Feb 2013. I basically built my itinerary around the train schedules. Because I only have 28 days to travel all over Australia, I did not have a whole lot of "downtime" which apparently is necessary for the train pass to work. Here is my experience with Queensland Rail.

I met some tourists in Sidney and heard from them that Qqeensland Rail was not able to run their trains after the flood on Jan 27th, 2013. So after I flew into Cairns on the night of Feb 7th, I went to Central Station the following afternoon to make sure that the Tilt Train from Cairns to Brisbane would indeed run on Sunday. I was informed at that time there was some problem with the tracks. I gave my email address for contact and was also given a toll-free number to call from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. the following night.

I had a long day sightseeing on Saturday and did not return to my accommodation until 9 p.m.. But I was checking email at 9:30 p.m. and there was no email saying that the Tilt Train would not be running and that replacement coaches would take off at 6:45 a.m. from the station.

I arrived at the station at 8:15 a.m. on Sunday. The staff immediately accused me of not calling QR the day before and that I should have checked my email right before coming out to Central Station. They refused to give me a refund except for the $93.35 upgrade which is to be subtracted from the bus or plane ticket that I had to book through them. I told them that I could not make a decision until I know all the factors and they became annoyed. They served other stranded passengers and gave out full refunds or replacement bus tickets to local residents.

One thing that I did not understand was why the agent would not inform me on Friday that there was a high probability of the train not operating on Sunday. I would have more lead time in making alternative plans. Secondly, I did not get email notification pf the train cancellation when my email address is in the system. Lastly, why tourists were not refunded for non-delivery of service while the local passengers would be offered several options?

It took a month for their so-called Customer Advocate to respond. She apologized but would not reimburse me for the bus ticket that I purchased through their travel agency at Cairns Station. To this day, Queensland Rail has neither responded nor given me a refund. Queensland Rail runs their operation as if they are in a developing country and treats tourists like cattle going to the slaughter house. It is first world prices but third world service.

4  Thank fidelisblue
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The Tilt train is a great alternative when travelling alone. I much prefer going this way than driving to Bundaberg. Meals are not expensive and I always get a good seat. Maybe hey could change the movies a bit more as you often get the same one on the return trip.

4  Thank Lynn S
Reviewed March 26, 2013

This is a great train, loved going with my two children, 5,10, they were entertained with the little TV, and meals were good, sleeping was hard kept sliding down the seat, but overall very comfortable, power points were handy next to each seat.

4  Thank marita c