“Great location but cleaning not so good and reception staff seemed disinterested”

Macarthur Chambers Apartment Hotel
Ranked #21 of 136 Specialty Lodging in Brisbane
Reviewed June 22, 2011

As with many, many of the hotels or apartments that we stay in, we find that cleaning is just not good enoguh. I dont want to walk into the bathroom and find 4 or 5 long black hairs in the bath as I did in the ensuite of the 2 bedroom apartment that we stayed in. I know that a thousand other people have stayed there before me but I just dont want to be reminded of that all the time. I just dont understand why the cleaner would leave hair in the bath unless it hadnt been cleaned at all. If it was cleaned, then those particular hairs would surely have been washed away given that they were on the bottom of the bath not even around the sides. People keep telling me to loosen up and that its not the end of the world but it just annoys me seeing as you pay quite a lot for your holiday accommodation.

Although we did not speak to the person on reception very much and there were two or so different people there over the time that we stayed, I got the distinct impression that they werent interested at all in the guests. It was "head down in a book" sort of thing and "dont even look up at anyone in the foyer if I dont have to and that way hopefully no one will ask me anything or bother me".

But location was very good as so close to the mall and the apartment was roomy. Not particularly cheap as we tend to find these days. Decor was a bit 1990's and lounge balcony looked straight into an office block at close range so you could see them up close drinking their coffee and doing their filing and photocopying etc. It reminded me of work which I have just retired from so I didnt like that aspect of the place although you could request an apartment that didnt look directly at the office block and of course a high floor is better for minimising the street noise.

Room Tip: not looking straight into the office block windows
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank holidaycommentator
There are newer reviews for Macarthur Chambers Apartment Hotel

Reviewed May 19, 2011

If all you are looking for is location, then Mcarthur Chambers has got it, but if you are expecting quality and service for your money then stay somewhere else. The downside of it's good location is that's it's very noisy, there is a 24 hr bar located across the road and it makes it's presence known, but it is certainly very convenient for shopping etc.
Sadly, the state of the rooms let's it down very badly. Certainly, whoever described it as luxury accomadadion would do well to get out and see what luxury is. The kitchen is very under stocked, the furniture is old and in need of immediate replacing, in fact the whole place could do with a revamp.
The gym is small and poorly equipped- not even a floor mat and the pool is very uninviting, small and hugely overlooked by offices next door.
The staff, whilst not rude, could not be described as friendly or approachable.
All in all, I could not recommend this place to anyone unless you're only requirement was central location and didn't care about the standard of the rooms. At best this is 2 star accomadation for 4 star money.

• Stayed: May 2011
5  Thank Travelnosey
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I stayed here for a few nights in September 2010. I was delighted with my suite which was quite spacious for one person and very well appointed. The suite I was in had its own little office which was very useful.

I can't comment on service as the only person I saw was the front door staff when I was checking out.

The hotel's central location, just across the road from the Queen Street Mall is a big plus.

My only quibble was that the suite I was on, in the 2nd floor, backed onto the glass ceiling of the mall next door, which meant that the lights from there flooded the unit at night, making it difficult to distinguish night from day, which was disorienting. I needed the black out curtains fully drawn. Next time I stay I'll ask for a suite on a higher level.

I would definitely stay here again next time I'm in Brisbane for business.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 13, 2011

We started staying at Macarthur Chambers around 2006 and were always really impressed with the location, and the spacious apartments. Even on our 2nd trip in 2007, we were upgraded to the penthouse at no additional cost which was fantastic. However the last time we stayed it was apalling. The first apartment we walked into was old and dated with funny smelling carpet. I walked straight back down to reception to see if I could change apartments. She did so without hesitation. The 2nd apartment was a lot more modern and interesting and we were happy. However when we took off our shoes the floor was sticky and dirty, hence we kept our shoes on at all times. I would not stay at Macarthur Chambers again, 4 years they kept it running smoothly, however now they need to pick up their game and get professional cleaners in and obviously Manager's who can request their owners to keep their apartments in top condition.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed November 23, 2010

I have stayed at this Hotel many times and am finding my last few experiences disappointing. On this occasion we chose the 3 bedroom penthouse as we wanted our whole family to stay with us and friends to be able to visit. The space was amazing and the location extremely convenient but i expected it to be more plush in terms of fittings and fixtures..Being so close to the Queen Street Mall it was very noisy late at night. I was disappointed with the cleanliness of the apartment. Found two different coloured toe nail clippings in one bedroom. Glass top tables smeary, rubbish bin dirty under the bin liner and kitchen walls also smeary. The apartment appeared weary and in need of renovation. Also a number of repairs needed including kitchen lights, leak under sink. Apartments are individually owned so each one different.

• Stayed: November 2010
Reviewed October 14, 2010

I recently stayed at this Hotel and chose it most for it's historic appeal and it didn't disappoint!

The reception staff were friendly and accommodating. The rooms were spacious and very clean on arrival and were well equipped with modern furniture & appliances.

It had the appeal of being in a New York style boutique hotel with everything I needed (incl Foxtel platinum) for entertainment.

What I really loved was the location as I could just walk out the front door and there I was
right in the heart of the fashion shops, restaurants, cinema and supermarket next door. Overall I would recommend it to my colleagues and family.
Visitor from Sydney

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed October 1, 2010

On arriving we thought the apartments looked great. Ornate and a nice historical building with nice character mixed with a modern look. This is a good location if you want to be in the middle of the city.

However on closer inspection there were a few issues:
- The second bedroom door locked itself when closing. This is not great when you have two young children who like closing doors and then lock themselves in - We called reception who say that sometimes with these doors the locks need placing! They sent someone up who I had to coerce into leaving me the key in case it happened again! NO APOLOGY!!!!!
- The sofas were very basic and uncomfortable at best.
- Holes in furniture were covered up by ornaments!
- The roof top pool is over looked by offices, and the office workers. We went up only to be ogled at. Not the nicest of experiences.
- Also had to pay for parking, at the rates they charge this should be included.

I would not recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with family