“Disappointing in many ways.”

Chasely Apartments Brisbane
Ranked #140 of 169 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We visited for a couple of days earlier this month in a three week tour of eastern Australia. Firstly the positives - there is free car parking and wifi, which we found very valuable. The property was also clean and tidy and we had a lovely view of the river.

The negatives were, however, frustrating because these apartments could be so much better. I gather the property is popular with visitors to the adjoining hospital and perhaps that is why we felt that it had a hospital atmosphere, with drab furnishings and colours. We didn't think that the green chairs and paintwork worked with the 'new' brown carpet and red ochre settee. Indeed the chairs and beds looked as if they had been purchased as part of a hospital job lot. There was also a 'hospital smell' in the corridors, but if it was disinfectant, that is no bad thing. Our view has generally been that you don't spend much time in a room, so the decor is maybe not so important. The furnishings do look to have been assembled on the cheap and this leads us to the main downsides.

We met one of the proprieters on check-in and she seemed a nice lady, however it did feel a bit like being at school as we looked around the apartment. Notices liberally placed around the apartment and especially on appliances were the kind of 'don't do this' or 'do that and it will cost you this' signs that are hardly welcoming. They informed of charges of $30 for unclean dishes, $200 'refreshment charge for smokers, and a warning that if the fire brigade were called out (bizarrely), the cost would be $1020. I have never seen such signs in any other apartment. I have attached photos of these.

Would we return or recommend the apartments? No, we just felt that the place was too depressing and a little disconnected from the centre. I suspect that the private owners do not have the resources to improve, which is understandable in the current climate. However, decent investment could transform the apartments. For us, though, it was the worst accommodation we stayed in throught our visit to Australia and, unfortunately, every other place got compared with 'the Chaseley'.

I hope it works out for the owners, but I would recommend that if they get an interior designer, good beds and furniture, they could be on a winner. Sadly, it didnt reach that level for us the way it is at the moment.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank David M

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The apartment was fairly average but spacious and clean. TV was old but had some foxtel channel, internet worked well, strong connection and didnt drop out and was free however you were asked to be consious of your usage amount. I was given a nice room with a view and the windows were thick so didnt have a problem with noise. Kitchen was stocked and clean, the bathroom was very clean and spacious and included a washer and dryer. Main problem was that it had no opening windows so might not be great for a long term stay but the airconditioning worked however only in the living room. The staff were not that friendly and the housekeeping staff took away my do not disturb sign which i thought was very rude.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank LoveToTravel255100
Reviewed September 26, 2012

I had a 7 week stay in a one bed apartment while I had treatment at the Wesley Hospital. The apartment was very comfortable with great views over the river. Such a great location and fully self contained with every convenience.i would love to recommend this accommodation to anyone who has to have an extended stay for hospital treatment. It is so convenient for the hospital but also to local shops and for transport into the city.
The bonus is the on site managers Elizabeth and Marcus who make sure that their guests are so well taken care of .
Highly recommended

Room Tip: A one bed apartment overlooking the river is great value and very quiet
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julia D
Reviewed September 2, 2012

Very comfortable and convenient. We stayed 2 nights in a 2 bedroom apartment, with family and 2 nights in 1 bedroom. Both good but the 2 br was noisy because it overlooked Coronation Drive on a Saturday evening, which was extra noisy. The 1 br had noise reduction double glazing and that was fine. We would stay there again as it is convenient to the city and the nearby suburb where our son lives. We enjoyed travelling on the City Cat to Southbank which is only 2 stops.

Room Tip: Try to stay in a 1 br apartment with soundproofing.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank HelenS45
Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed here's for two separate nights during August, the location is fantastic, right on the river. The rooms are reasonable, comfortable and fairly well set up for a short stay with the ability to self-cater. There is a very good selection of breakfast packs and microwave meals at reception. There are many restaurants in the area as well as the shopping village close by in Toowong. The managers are very nice and overall it was a comfortable place to stay. Would I stay again, perhaps as a business traveller but unfortunately probably not as a leisure traveller; the noise factor from Corotation Drive is just too loud for me, I slept in the second bedroom, which in my opinion, seemed a bit noisier than the main bedroom. I realised the location means you will be close to a main road and I live in a big city so would not regard myself as overly sensitive to road so it is a real shame. Otherwise it was a good stay.

Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed June 27, 2012

This is a very compfortable place to stay, even with young children. We had to find a place to stay in the City for one night to catch up with some overseas friends that we had no room for at home. The managers were very accommodating when we asked if we could stay on the same floor as our friends. Marcus and Elizabeth even made sure they had some modern kids movies for our kids to keep them amused. We were put into an appartment that faced the river and was great to just watch the world go by outside. Appartment was reasonably new with a new bathroom and full kitchen facilities which suited us perfectly. Marcus and Elizabeth went out of their to make us and our kids feel compfortable for our stay and our kids talk about going back just to see the managers. We will be back.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Mark487
Reviewed May 29, 2012

This is an excellent Hotel for someone like me who had work in Brisbane over the last few months. The value for money is excellent. I would leave at 6am and arrive back at about 6pm so I missed most of the traffic times, it usually slows down at midnight and starts again around 6am.
The unit suited me very well with the laundry and kitchen. I found both Marcus and Elizabeth to be wonderfull always happy and cheerful. Had a broken part in the microwave the last time I was there and after a call to reception it was fixed immediately. The location was excellent, as I was working at Eagle Farm, Milton and acacia ridge, I was able to drive there with ease mainly because at 6am there is not much traffic on the road.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business