Best Western Sunnybank Star Motel
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Oaks Felix(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
Agoda.com
$65
$62
  • Restaurant
Mantra South Bank, Brisbane(Brisbane)(Great Value!)
$124
$119
Agoda.com
$91
$84
  • Pool
All reviewsacross the roadsmall shoppingbedroom townhouseroad noiseroom was cleanbus stopgarden city shopping centrefoxtel channelslovely poolvending machinesuited our needsclose to shopseasy accesswonderful staygood sizepublic transportwould stay again
FilterAll languages
Reviewed August 9, 2012

I spent one night at the Best Western Sunnybank Star recently while staying in Brisbane, as all the hotels in the CBD had no rooms available due to events going on around Brisbane.

This hotel was approximately 20 minutes from the CBD at non-peak time, by car, and is located along a busy road.

Check In-

Check in was quick, friendly and easy. The motel already had all my details filled out, and I was put in room number 2. Breakfast is available for delivery to your room from 6:15 onwards, but I didn't use this service as decided to have breakfast in the CBD instead. There is no restaurant in the motel, however there is an adjacent restaurant called Michael's Oriental Restaurant where you can charge back the meal to your room. This was all explained to me at check in, and an access code for complimentary wireless internet was provided.

The Room-

My room was a comfortable room featuring a Queen size bed and a single bed, a useable area for doing paperwork, and a bathroom including a basin, shower and toilet. Attached are some photos of the room. The room also had am empty fridge to store drinks, an ironing board and iron, and an LCD televison. The room was clean and well presented. An old style "in the wall" airconditioner was also fitted.

The location is opposite a small shopping complex including supermarket, pharmacy, bottle shop, Italian Restaurant, Chinese Restaurant and other small shops. It is adjacent to "Michaels Oriental Restaurant", a Chinese/Malaysian restaurant that was better than its name sounds - I ate there and enjoyed the meal.

Upsides and Downsides-

The room was comfortable, however being near a busy intersection there was road noise throughout the day and night. It is also a bit of a drive from the CBD if that is where you are headed. The room was most affordable compared to many other Brisbane options, so this makes up for any of the minor downsides.

A positive feature is that this hotel does not charge any credit card surcharges. I find it deplorable that hotels can enjoy more benefits of credit card use than most other industries (booking guarantees, pre-authorisations, charging for no-shows, charging for late charges, avoiding large cash transactions) where at the same time the industry has been one of the most bullish industries in Australia to introduce credit card surcharges. Well done to Best Western Sunnybank for not introducing any surcharges.

I would stay here again if unable to get CBD accommodation for meetings, but it wouldn't be my first choice for a leisure trip.

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the road as possible
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank OzML
Leanne C, Manager at Best Western Sunnybank Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write a very comprehensive review about the BEST WESTERN Sunnybank Star Motel & Apartments. It is great to know that despite not being able to stay in a CBD hotel, our homely facilities and services met your requirements. Although we do not offer resort style facilities many families and visitors do take advantage of our location where we are only 20 minutes to Dream World and more importantly where our prices of $159 per night for a 2 night + stay for a family of 4 in a 2 bedroom 2 level town house services family accommodation at family prices. We certainly look forward to seeing you again. Kind Regards, Leanne

Reviewed July 7, 2012

How can I put this, the rooms were dated and very cold looking, not at all appealing, everything thing in our apartment looked as though it needed repaired, and a new colour scheme would make it more appealing. I dropped something down the couch, and on my search to retrieve this i found old bits of food and what appeared to be old sultanas not very pleasant. The fan in one of the bedrooms looked as though it was about to come off the ceiling, unable to keep it on, mirror was dirty along with everything else, would never stay there again.also the breakfast was disgusting, the bacon was like rubber. And the beds need to be replaced.

Room Tip: Dont bother
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank PATSY6052
Leanne C, Manager at Best Western Sunnybank Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded August 11, 2012

Dear Patsy,

Your description of our room certainly presents to the reader a negative visual of our 4 star accommodation which is rated by AAA Tourism and Best Western. We are a modest MOTEL in Eight Mile Plains and are the first to admit we are not the Hilton. We do however offer clean, spacious comfortable facilities at excellent value for money.

As for the breakfast - I am the breakfast cook and have cooked hundreds of breakfast's and have not received a bad review until now. If you had a particular preference for how you like the bacon cooked, suggest you inform the next breakfast chef to avoid disappointment.

Thank you for your feedback.

Kind Regards,
Leanne

Reviewed May 30, 2012

I stayed there 22nd April after making a booking and having to cancel it through no fault of my own.When I rang to rebook the room I spoke to Sherry who informed me that she had refunded my payment by credit card and that “ I was just lucky I was in a good mood” and that usually they don't give refunds,in spite of their policy stating that full booking refunds would be given if cancellations were not within 24 hours of the booking date.
I then booked a Studio Kitchenette Room.for the agreed price of $145 a night.
When we arrived at the hotel the receptionist showed us to our room.We realized that the room we were in was the smaller Executive Room ($135/night advertised price on their website) After some confusion on the part of the management we eventually sorted it out and were given the room I booked.
The room was a good size with cooking facilities..The mattress on our double bed was sagging and the air-con was so noisy we could hardly sleep but it was a choice between that and the traffic noise.After the rudeness from Sherry and the quality of the room I would not stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Paul D
Leanne C, Owner at Best Western Sunnybank Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2012

Thank you for your feedback. I am somewhat alarmed to read your comments.
Firstly you were given a full refund when you cancelled, no questions asked.
Secondly you have mistaken Sherry’s comments which were to be taken as good humour and not as anything else. It is disappointing that Sherry has been singled out on such a public website. Sherry has been working at the Motel for 30 years and is an integral member of the team where her terrific sense of humour is appreciated.
Thirdly, management were not confused because management was on leave at that time. The staff were not confused either as the database shows your booking was made for an Executive room which costs $135 per night. The room you should have booked was the kitchenette studio which is $145 per night. The staff were very quick to accommodate your change of mind and amended your booking accordingly. There were no kitchenette studios available at that time so you were shown the kitchenette family room. The kitchenette family room is a budget family room and accommodates 4 people at $149 per night. Although the room is priced at a budget rate, the facilities in the room are in good working order and are one of our most popular room types because they offer excellent value for money.
Fourthly maintenance have reviewed the bedding and the air conditioner which have been found to be in good working order.
Finally, you have submitted this feedback on a number of websites now and I have already responded to you in these forums and offered you a free night’s accommodation in our spacious spa room so I am unclear as to what you are seeking from your postings.
Feel free to call me, I look forward to discussing this further with you and I promise to not make any jokes.

Regards,
Leanne,
Owner & Manager

Reviewed April 20, 2012

We stayed here with our two girls and had an excellent stay. Reception were extremely helpful when we got locked out of our car, especially when the car rental company was not, Cut Price Rentals - rang them up and they told us they couldn't send someone out or recommend a service company. But Leeane at Best Western Reception was able to find us a local mobile locksmith who came within 30 mins.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Leanne C, Manager at Best Western Sunnybank Star Motel, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2012

Dear Janine,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We certainly hoped you enjoyed the rest of your eventful journey home. It was a pleasure having you and your family staying with us and we do hope we will see you again in the future.

Happy travels.

Best Wishes,
Leanne, Paul, Sherry and Sonya

Reviewed October 26, 2011

I’ve been at Brisbane three times and stayed at this motel every time.

This is a good place to go everywhere suburb or downtown of Brisbane, through M1 pr M3 which have interchanges nearby. To the downtown, it took only 15-20 minutes by car and 30 minutes by bus. Across padstow road, there are small shopping center with SPAR, ATM, Post office, Subway, Chinese small restaurant and Pizza house. The motel has also excellent Chinese restaurant.

The room has a washer and a dryer. We used three apartments for nine nights this time and one of washers was out of order. Free wireless internet service is convenient but become slow or unable to connect when rooms are busy.
Kitchen has everything to cook and enough for every breakfast. We bought egg, ham, juice, fruits, bread and butter at the shopping center by walk. Washing dishes of breakfast after we went to somewhere was good for us, time saving. Room cleaning is not sufficient and the floor is covered by small dust, because, in my suggestion, central vacuum is weak for cleaning. Bed making and bath room cleaning is good.

The front desk is operated from 7:00 to 23:00. The stuff is kind and friendly. But they don’t know restaurants nearby, so we must search Indian, Italian, sea food restaurants for ourselves. If you bring GPS system and guidebook, it is easy to go by car and takes 20 minutes from this motel. I wish the stuff should survey reviews of restaurants neighborhood from friends or guests.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends