“Never Again”

Oaks Lexicon Apartments
Ranked #69 of 168 Hotels in Brisbane
Reviewed February 3, 2008

As it was a special occasion (my hens weekend) decided to have a sensational weekend with no expense spared and booked the girls and I into this so called 4.5 star establishment. We had the 2 bedroom apartment. What a dissapointment it was. The room itself was large, but the state of it was appaling. I have stayed in places all over the world, and even in Thailand a 3rd world country the accomodation was 100 times better. We had a 2 night stay and first thing I noticed was the filthy carpets and rugs. Some of the lamps were missing the shades off them, the balcony area was dirty and there were cigarette butts littered all over it. On the Saturday after getting back from brunch I could not believe the way the beds were made. They were just pulled up and very creased. The pillows were just thrown on the beds. There were no refills of shampoo and conditioner. We didn't even get fresh towels. When I queried this I was told we could have fresh towels at a cost of $1.50 each!!! On check out I complained to the duty manager but it fell on deaf ears. He was not interested at all. Would I reccomend this place?? Not a hope in hell. How do places like this get a 4.5 star rating when it is seriously no more than a 2.5 at best. Do these places rate themselves? For the cost it is not worth it at all. Next time I will go back to Rydges at Southbank!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with friends
5  Thank TinkNMick

Reviewed January 6, 2008

2 bedroomed unit was not clean, carpets dirty, both toilets dirtybath had to be cleaned before we could wash children in it, lamps not working. Sliding door to small bedroom unit kept on falling off track and glass sliding screen on other bathroom nearly fell off when kids in bath! Overall very dissapointed with service and feel that it is false advertising to say this is 4.5 star it is barely a 2.5 star in my opinion. Would never go again. Also paisd a premium rate as it was New Years Eve so Not Happy!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank nothappyjanNewcastle
Reviewed October 12, 2007

Tired, worn out apartment hotel. Furniture and carpets stained and significant marks on the walls. Appalling manager who was barely civil on check-in and a night manager who didn't even know how to check the system at 5.30am when I checked out.

All in all there is much better value in Brisbabe with the two other major apartment chains. For the price, this place is exceptionally poor value.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank kevinpng
Reviewed October 10, 2007

I stayed with a group of friends here in September 2007. The rooms are modern and large and accomodated us comfortably. For us the rooms were just a base and somewhere to rest our heads ( after a few late nights ! ) but I didn't encounter any problems whatsoever.

They don't promise the world and nor should they. The location is fantastic, within walking distance to the Brisvegas CBD and the pool was utilised reguarly.

I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
1  Thank Josh D
Reviewed September 30, 2007

Me and my dad arrived at Oaks Lexicon on September 26th. First of all we could checked in since it was only 10am we were ok with that. The location was very good since it was close to my sister's apartment so we could walk less than 5 mins to her place and it was about 5 mins walk to central station and 10 mins to Queen street mall. The first look of the room was good since we got 2 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms. There was some painted smell left when we arrived. Some of the problems were one of the frontdesk wasn't so nice to us he made fun of our name and he didn't smile at all. The bathroom could be a little bigger and there was no place to put soap or shampoo while we were taking shower. Overall, it might be good if you plan to stay about a week or more since they have kitchen and apartment type room, but if only 2-3 nights then go somewhere else.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled on business
4  Thank auttapol
Reviewed September 5, 2007

We rented a two bedroom apartment at the Oaks Lexicon for our 9 day stay in Brisbane. We have 2 small children, ages 1 and 2, so the size of the unit was perfect and the location was central for downtown Brisbane. However.. this is where my satisfaction ended. Upon arrival there was a maintenance man painting our door so the room smelled of very strong paint fumes. I asked to move rooms before we unpacked but was told I couldn't. We had to open all the windows and veranda doors to air out the place. This was no treat as it was cold and raining outside. My 1 year old was still crawling and after about an hour on the carpet the tops of his feet were a dark gray and his romper was covered in long dark hair and dust bunnies. It appears as if the carpet was not vacuumed before our stay and there were many stains and marks on the rug throughout the unit. This bothered me as small children spend a great amount of time on the floor and I was not comfortable with the condition of the carpet. I asked the front desk person for a vacuum for 3 days straight and was not offered one until the 4th day upon my final complaint. However.. I had to vacuum the unit myself and was told I had 20 minutes to do so and was asked to bring it back down myself! I vacuumed but the carpet was still dirty and in need of a good steam clean. On to the next issue.. if you are a family with small children please be aware that this hotel only has a few baby cots to spare and they charge $20 per night.. yes.. per night... to use it. No high chairs or other baby friendly items are available for use so you are pretty much winging it in that area. Internet is not free which I was under the impression that it was. The phone in the room had a faulty cord which would cut off our calls in the middle so we would have to hang up and re phone whomever we were speaking with. This was another nuisance that was not attended to by the hotel manager. I asked for another phone as local calls were 80 cents a piece so to have to make each phone call twice was getting expensive and ridiculous... the manager seemed annoyed by my request for a new phone, didn't ask to have it fixed by maintenance and did not offer to reimburse any of the extra fees we incurred because of this problem. The real deal breaker for us was the fact that they not only insisted on painting our door upon our arrival but painted the door jamb the next day.. having our door propped open to the hall for an hour and fumes filling our unit while my 2 little ones were napping. The fumes were extremely strong and not something I would expose my children or myself to in my own home. The next day.. at 8 am I might add.. we had another knock on the door.. yet another contractor asking to put another paint finish on our door and have it propped open for an hour. Third time!!! I refused as this was totally ridiculous and uncalled for and we have small children who can get out of the room. I rang the manager and complained and she was not apologetic at all. She told me it was a 12 month renovation project being held by Lexicon and the door had to be painted. I explained about my small children, the door being opened and most of all the disgusting chemical fumes. She then offered to move us.. on day 7 of our 9 day stay. We had to refuse as we had way too much stuff to pack up and move for one more nights stay as well as a full fridge and pantry of food that we had bought for our stay. If Lexicon was performing this renovation for 12 months then they need to alert their guests of this before accepting their reservation and money. We paid over two thousand US dollars for a nine day stay and I personally feel that we did not receive the level of customer service that we paid for and my husband and I are also very perplexed as to how this "hotel" received four and a half stars as their rating? We have stayed in four star hotels and this is not even that. If the carpet would have been clean, my concerns and problems addressed and renovations were not being performed on my time and my money during MY vacation I may have some nicer things to say... but that isn't the way things went and this is why I definitely do NOT recommend The Oaks Lexicon Apartment hotel to any other travelers.. especially families.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank AllisonFamilyOf4
Reviewed July 9, 2007

Very sterile apartments with very little character. Great if you need a base to explore QLD, but if you like a bit of luxury then I would look elsewhere.

Shared facilities are pretty poor - take the gym and pool area, which desperately need refurbishing.

Good points

TV's with DVD's.
Good kitchen area
Central Location - 5 mins to central station.

Taxi is approximately $35-$40 from the airport