“Disappointed” 1 of 5 bubbles

Grand Chancellor Brisbane
Ranked #28 of 162 Hotels in Brisbane
“Disappointed”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. Arrived late on day 1 and had a great room service meal, even if it was a bit slow in coming. The room was fine but the cleanliness was very poor. There was hair and just general dirt everywhere. The carpet where it met the wall was white with dirt. The bathroom had ingrained dirt. I thought it might have been just ageing but I could easily clean it back to white with the flannel and soap. I asked to be shifted to another room the next morning, I could not bear to spend another night in this room. The lovely receptionist moved me to a room on the 5 th floor. Sorry to report it was dirty too, not as bad as the one on the 4 th floor but I am wondering if my standards are too high. Should we expect to see dust and fluff from numerous previous occupants? This was one of the dirtiest rooms I've stayed in for a branded hotel. Shame. The staff were lovely and I did not want to make any more fuss. Maybe the housekeeping staff don't have the time to deep clean a room? It really needed to be done.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Lindsey F,

Thank you very much for your feedback as it gives us a great opportunity to see where we are doing a fine job, and where we can make improvements. I am pleased that you had a great room service meal during your stay with us.

I was however disappointed that your experience with our housekeeping team did not come up to your expectations. The white dirt made reference to is white paint and we will be rectifying this as soon as possible. I have brought the remainder of your feedback to the attention of our Housekeeping Manager so that they may ensure that their team is aware of the issues, and are continually providing service that is up to our usual high standards.

I do apologise for the inconveniences felt during your stay with us, and we would love to welcome you back to our hotel in the future to prove that your experience was not the norm.

Peter Yared

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Cairns, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Beautiful room, beautiful staff, wonderful facilities.
I highly recommend staying here. Walking distance to Queenstreet Mall (20 minutes) and Central Station (15 minutes). We had an immaculate double room with two double beds, great view on the balcony. Not too badly priced for a 4.5 star hotel.

Only two minor negatives, the spa was out of order, still heated water, just the jets weren't working and the bar/restaurant closed after breakfast (missed out on coffee, oh no!) but it was Sunday and not quite lunch time yet.

Room Tip: Anywhere here is good!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Jade M,

Thank you for taking the time to create this great review of your stay with us. I was so pleased to read that the hotel suited your travel needs so well. It was also wonderful to find that your experience with your room, staff and facilities was so positive.

I do apologise that the spa jets were not working - it was a temporary issue that has since been rectified. I apologise if this caused you any inconvenience.

Thank you again and we look forward to your next visit soon.

Buderim
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

We stayed at the Grand Chancellor for the first time on a recent business trip in a standard room on the 7th floor which was comfortable and spacious. Surprisingly, even though we were close to the lift it was not noisy and it was certainly convenient.We had a small verandah to let in fresh air which overlooked the city which was quite pleasant. There was ample room to write on and set up our laptops. The receptionist, especially Katie [--] and Audrey, were very helpful with all our enquiries. The location is close to the Roma Street Parklands and a downhill walk to the city.
What is useful is that it is also on the free Spring Hill bus loop which saves the climb back up the hill between 7am and 6pm. The St Andrews Hospital stop is the flattest to walk about 200 metres to the hotel.You can catch this bus opposite the post office and on other stops that has Spring Hill Loop written on it. We used it several times during our stay.
There is a great little cafe called Caffe Boulevard on the corner of Fortescue Street and Little Edward Street within walking distance downhill which has a tasty $5 breakfast of bacon, egg, tomato and toast which was ample and a good way to start the day. The coffee was tasty too. We caught the loop back up to the hotel afterwards . On the weekends the best place to eat would have to be the International Hotel down from St Andrews hospital.Other than that apart from the hotel's restaurant which we did not try, there are not many places open on the weekends. No such problem week days. We would stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Montelco
Dear Montelco,

Greetings and thank you for writing this informative post about your visit to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane. I am sure other travellers will benefit from the great description and handy tips you have provided.

I was so pleased to read that the hotel was perfect for your business trip. Thank you also for your kind mentions of our helpful front office staff. They strive to provide unwavering service so it is great to see that reflected in your comments. I will be sure to pass your kind words onto them.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed for one night so we could walk to Ekka. Bit too far to walk especially on the way back with tired feet, but reasonably short taxi trip. Very fair mini bar prices. Rooms clean and modern. Nice view of park and river in distance (room 812). Boys complained they heard ambulances a fair bit but that is expected for a city location. Buffet breakfast had the best poached eggs, beans and hash browns I have every had on holiday. Coffee was delicious. Did not see the pool because it was under maintenance which was very unfortunate.

Room Tip: Worth checking if pool is not under maintenance when booking if this is important to you. Not at all...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
Dear soniaber,

Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane.

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback, I am glad you were happy with your stay. I am especially thrilled to hear that you rated our breakfast so highly! I will ensure your comments are passed onto the team and I know our Chef will be heartened by your lovely comments on the food.

Thank you again for your feedback, we hope you will return for another stay soon.

Toowoomba, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Have stayed at the Grand Chancellor twice over the past twelve months... Both times have been without fault... Reading some of the negative reviews I have to wonder at some people's expectations... Both stays have been wonderful, great service and the wait staff at breakfast welcomed us back... I am looking forward to staying again in mid October for a couple of nights... All I can say is well done Grand Chancellor, I'm sure the service will be up to the usual high standard...

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear bignana1,

Thank you for your rave review of the hotel. It is wonderful that you enjoyed yourself on both occasions with us.

I really appreciate your lovely comments about our staff. They take pride in what they do and it is great to see that reflected in your feedback. I will be sure to pass your praise on to our team in the next briefing.

Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back next month.

Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2013

Use this hotel for business stays. The rooms are good--nice bed & bathroom, and balcony with a great view of the city (but no furniture) The reception area, dining room and lobby bar are pretty ordinary--not much atmosphere. The breakfast buffet is OK but nothing startling, and the dining room staff are not terribly friendly. The room service meal I had was good, and the front desk staff were friendly and efficient. Self parking was straightforward. Other than a hot spot in the lobby, you pay for internet connection--I hate that! All in all, a cookie cutter mid range hotel, in a quite prtetty area of town but a short taxi ride from most activities.

Room Tip: Higher rooms have a very good view
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Dear Frans_12255060,
Thank you for this review of our hotel. I am delighted that you are happy with our rooms and that they provide a comfortable base for you while on business stays.
While I am also pleased that you were impressed with our Front Office staff, I am saddened that some of our Food and Beverage staff did not come up to your expectations. I will ensure this feedback is passed on so that we continue to provide our usual level of high service.
Thank you again for your feedback – we hope you will be returning soon.
Best regards
Sydney, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2013

Booked for one night and that was plently. Seems like the hotel has recently been renovated, checking in was pretty simple and friendly enough. Was located on the 5 floor but had no views other than the top of other buildings. Parking was really cheap with the hotel. $9 for the night. The rooms were very spacious and clean, however the bathroom was small and doesnt look like its been updated. The shower was a proper shower with no bath tub but had a shower curtain and no door which wet the whole bathroom floor.

I went to use the pool and it is under renovation and when i went to use the gym, it was dismal! There was one bicycle, one treadmill and a couple of weights and a bench, thats it! The room was so small that you couldnt even do stretches or ab workout. The bicycle was so old that looked like it was older than the hotel and squeaked and moved all about, the treadmill was awful, clunky and couldnt run properly as floor was uneven that if you tried to run fast the whole machine would move about.

I only stayed there cause it was cheap but wouldnt recommend it again to anyone.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank mazydee
HGCSP-Management, General Manager at Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear mazydee,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel recently. I was pleased to read that you found our parking to be inexpensive and our location quite central.

I was disappointed that our gym was not up to your expectations. You will be pleased to know that we have since updated our equipment to Life Fitness machines and the room now has air conditioning. The new editions include a new treadmill, upright lifecycle, indoor rower, cross trainer and chin/dip frame. I also apologise for the temporary closure of pool. Due to an equipment failure it had to be temporarily closed at short notice, however it has now reopened.

Thank you again for your time in creating this feedback for us. We do hope you will return to the hotel soon.