“Not the Best but Not the Worst”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane
Ranked #24 of 160 Hotels in Brisbane
Fraser Coast
“Not the Best but Not the Worst”
Reviewed April 3, 2013

We were quite happy with the twin room during our two night stay. Breakfast was good and the evening meal was very enjoyable. Staff Steven and Ashleigh were attentive and friendly and added greatly to the enjoyment of that meal. The walk to the city was much further than we would have liked so would choose somewhere closer next time and we thought the cost of parking at twenty dollars per day was a very steep additional cost. Overall our complaints are few.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Harvey412,
Thank you for this great review of your stay with us.
I was so pleased to read that our staff really made the stay. I will be sure to pass on your kind words to them. I do apologise if you felt the parking was too expensive, though we do charge a very similar rate to that most of the hotels in our area.
Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Peter Yared

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 31, 2013

Was up here for work recently and we had an multi-day meeting at the hotel. I began referring to the hotel fairly quickly as the 'not-so-Grand-Chancellor', as it was OK, but I thought overpriced for Brisbane (average price of better hotels is lower), particularly given its frustrating location just out of the city up a big hill.

I had a wheelchair-accessible room, which I quite liked. It meant the bathroom was nice and large, and there were no ugly/awkward showerbaths in my room. The bathroom lighting, indeed the lighting in the whole room, was really really inadequate. Many of my colleagus commented they couldn't see themselves in the mirror to put their makeup on. I was more worried that I couldn't see the water on the floor of the bathroom and nearly slipped at one stage.

A major gripe of mine - no digital channels. The only digital channel available was ONE HD. This means no ABCNews24 or 7mate (take note AFL fans -all AFL football is broadcast on 7mate in Qld). The selection of pay TV channels was pretty ordinary too, and the old old Movielink system they used means that images were stretched, cropped and otherwise butchered which made watching TV a less than pleasant experience.

Good things:
-Staff were friendly and helpful when contacted
-Lifts were nice and fast
-Resturant food was quite good - up to 4.5 star hotel standard.
-Not too far to walk from Roma Street or Central Station -the map makes it lok worse than it is.
-Nice and close to Roma Street Parklands (watch out for the fitness brigades early in the morning, they may knock you over)
-In room fridge quite large (although in a quirk it had a glass door - meant the minibar food was begging you to eat it the whole time... might be too much temptation for some.

Bad things:
-Check-in took way too long when there was a few people queued
-Outside the CityBike network (which is a great way to get around the city)
-Mattress not the comfortable. Linen average quality
-Noise from the main road was problematic, even with the balcony door close
-Low level lighting in the rooms.

The event all went quite smoothly, their function rooms are quite rasonable and service throughout that was faultless.

Overall -this is a 3.5 star hotel, and would do that well. 4.5 stars creates unrealistic expectations of quality not evident in their rooms.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room... apartently some are renovated while others are not
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, April 7, 2013
Dear aussieboy85,
Thank you for creating a review of your recent visit.
I was disappointed that you felt the room was priced higher than you expected. Our pricing is comparable to similar properties in this area, and we feel we give good value given our central location and extensive facilities.
I am glad you liked your room, and that you found our staff friendly and helpful. It was also wonderful to read that you enjoyed the food at our restaurant.
Thank you again for your feedback, and I will ensure I cover your comments with our management team at our next briefing. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 22, 2013

I went through wotif and got a Deluxe room I think. It was ok, the decor is a bit odd and there's no wifi in the rooms and I was only able to use it in the lobby for 20 minutes for the entire length of my stay (rather than 20 minutes a day) which was frustrating for $150/night you expect free internet access. The location is fine, it's a bit of a trek up a hill from the station so if you have heavy bags maybe get a taxi.
I didn't get a balcony or a great view, and the restaurant was closed in the morning so I wasn't able to get breakfast.
Overall it's fine, not the best value but certainly not the worst. The staff were fairly helpful, the room was clean, the shower was great, overall decent enough.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear ChrisD1982,
Greetings from the Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane. Thank you for taking the time to create this review of your stay with us.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay, and that you found our staff to be helpful. I did want to mention here the breakfast hours for any travellers reading this review. The buffet breakfast operates Monday-Friday 6:30am-9:00am, Saturday 6:30am – 10:00am, and Sunday 7:00 -10:00am. After this time room service is available.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Perth, Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed in the the standard Queen room. The room itself is comfortable and clean. It has the basic amenities you need in a room;
Desk - Good for business people who need the room to keep working: surprising they still use cable to connect to the internet instead of wireless.
TV - Has all the basic channels. Does not have all the new digital channels and some of the cable network has poor reception.
Bathroom - Small and cramped, and I'm not a fan of showering standing up in a bathtub.
Green - Get really annoyed when places indicate they have gone green, when all they are doing is reducing the amount of times they are washing towels. How about having a system where the swipe key turns off "everything" (except fridge) when you leave the room. How about water saving shower roses instead of the ones currently used, or even provide the client the option of either paying the 1.5% credit card charge on all payments which is currently the case, or 1.5% on a carbon offset charge. Don't advertise you've gone green until you cover more than just "not servicing the apartment."
Overall: No wow factor here. Not worth over $200 and not a convincing 4.5 star. Staff however are excellent. Could not fault their service.

Dear Lordtazz,
Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane.
Thank you for your great feedback about the room and furnishings. Thank you as well for your kind mention of our staff, as well as your great ideas for green measures that the hotel can look at. It is great that you have thought of these and shared them with us. I will be sure to resent your feedback at our Managers Meetings so they can go up for discussion.
Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit soon.
Mackay, Australia
Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over for one night, could not fault the service or the cleanliness etc.. But OMG the mattress was hard as l have ever encounted, even worse than Vietnam!! Management need to look at having to replace the mattresses..

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Gjmackay,
Thank you for your time in creating this review of your stay with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay.
I was disappointed to read that the bed was harder than you expected. Bed firmness is a matter of personal taste and as we know all tastes are different we do offer pillow toppers for our guests upon request if they find the mattress too hard. I am very sorry that we did not get to offer you that option to help ensure your comfort.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for a softer sleep.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have lost count of how many times I've stayed at the HGC Brisbane and it is always a wonderful place to stay. The room I stayed at, on the 11th floor, had a gorgeous view of Brisbane, from south bank to the hills. The staff is 5 stars and they do everything to make you feel at home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Maurorisch,
Thank you very much for posting this great review of your stay. It is wonderful to hear from one of our regular guests as it gives us a great opportunity to see where we are doing a great job, and where we can make improvements.
I am so glad you found that the staff made you feel at home. I will be sure to commend them for a job well done.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit soon.
Gold Coast
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've previously stayed at the Grand Chancellor and it has always been a hotel which has good location and value for money. Unfortunately, on this visit we ended up in a 'corner' unit which was quite small. Mind you, the staff are wonderful and the breakfast is nice!

Room Tip: Don't choose a corner room, and ask for a room with a view over the park.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear CarolinePGoldCoast,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.
I was glad to read that you found our staff and breakfast wonderful as always. I was disappointed to read that you found the corner unit smaller than expected, and I do hope this did not cause you too much inconvenience.
Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.