“Average for the price and the star value”

Grand Chancellor Brisbane
Ranked #26 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Perth, Australia
“Average for the price and the star value”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2013

Stayed in the the standard Queen room. The room itself is comfortable and clean. It has the basic amenities you need in a room;
Desk - Good for business people who need the room to keep working: surprising they still use cable to connect to the internet instead of wireless.
TV - Has all the basic channels. Does not have all the new digital channels and some of the cable network has poor reception.
Bathroom - Small and cramped, and I'm not a fan of showering standing up in a bathtub.
Green - Get really annoyed when places indicate they have gone green, when all they are doing is reducing the amount of times they are washing towels. How about having a system where the swipe key turns off "everything" (except fridge) when you leave the room. How about water saving shower roses instead of the ones currently used, or even provide the client the option of either paying the 1.5% credit card charge on all payments which is currently the case, or 1.5% on a carbon offset charge. Don't advertise you've gone green until you cover more than just "not servicing the apartment."
Overall: No wow factor here. Not worth over $200 and not a convincing 4.5 star. Staff however are excellent. Could not fault their service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, April 3, 2013
Dear Lordtazz,
Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane.
Thank you for your great feedback about the room and furnishings. Thank you as well for your kind mention of our staff, as well as your great ideas for green measures that the hotel can look at. It is great that you have thought of these and shared them with us. I will be sure to resent your feedback at our Managers Meetings so they can go up for discussion.
Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit soon.
Peter Yared

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (202)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Mackay, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed over for one night, could not fault the service or the cleanliness etc.. But OMG the mattress was hard as l have ever encounted, even worse than Vietnam!! Management need to look at having to replace the mattresses..

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Gjmackay,
Thank you for your time in creating this review of your stay with us. I am so glad you enjoyed your stay.
I was disappointed to read that the bed was harder than you expected. Bed firmness is a matter of personal taste and as we know all tastes are different we do offer pillow toppers for our guests upon request if they find the mattress too hard. I am very sorry that we did not get to offer you that option to help ensure your comfort.
I hope we will be able to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future for a softer sleep.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I have lost count of how many times I've stayed at the HGC Brisbane and it is always a wonderful place to stay. The room I stayed at, on the 11th floor, had a gorgeous view of Brisbane, from south bank to the hills. The staff is 5 stars and they do everything to make you feel at home.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Maurorisch,
Thank you very much for posting this great review of your stay. It is wonderful to hear from one of our regular guests as it gives us a great opportunity to see where we are doing a great job, and where we can make improvements.
I am so glad you found that the staff made you feel at home. I will be sure to commend them for a job well done.
Thank you again for your feedback and we look forward to your next visit soon.
Gold Coast
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

I've previously stayed at the Grand Chancellor and it has always been a hotel which has good location and value for money. Unfortunately, on this visit we ended up in a 'corner' unit which was quite small. Mind you, the staff are wonderful and the breakfast is nice!

Room Tip: Don't choose a corner room, and ask for a room with a view over the park.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear CarolinePGoldCoast,
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.
I was glad to read that you found our staff and breakfast wonderful as always. I was disappointed to read that you found the corner unit smaller than expected, and I do hope this did not cause you too much inconvenience.
Thank you again for your review, and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us again soon.
Omaha, AR
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2013

this hotel is in a nice location and is a very nice hotel. it is small but that makes it good the room we had was very nice with a SUPER view facing downtown. the swim pool and the whirlpool were nice as well we had a bottle of champagne waiting for us when we arrived. HOW NICE! there is a shuttle bus that does the spring hill loop to downtown and is convenient The property is well maintained and clean, almost spotless in my opinion there is a nice bar and restaraunt on main level . Overall I would recommend this hotel to all classes of travelers.

Room Tip: ask for high city view awesome!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear JeffOmaha_AR,
Greetings from Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane.
Reading your review has really made my day. I am so glad that you enjoyed both the room and views. It was also great to see that you liked the facilities and location of the hotel.
Thank you again for your feedback, and we look forward to your next visit soon.
Caroline Springs, Victoria, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Have stayed at the Hotel Grand Chancellor in Brisbane for 3 weeks in a row for work. Have to admit for the price I thought we would be staying somewhere alot more modern. The bathrooms are terrible, they are in dire need of updating and repair, my colleague had a basin with a huge crack in it. Another colleague has been staying their continuously and has had a terrible smell coming from the drain, inwhich he pours water into on a daily basis. The seals are missing around the bath, and on all three occassion I must have had a cleaner with black long hair and it is left all over the place, especially in the bath tub, that was slimey. I raised the cleanliness of the bathrooms with the reception staff each time I was there. There was pain chipped off the doors, a light hanging out the room in my first room's bathroom, obviously the cleaning staff dont know how to note this down. I also had dirty footprints left in my bathroom after it had been cleaned.

There is a musty spell in the hallways, I find the menu a little boring after staying there 3 or 4 nights in a row. I was horrified at the cost of a bowl of cerel and juice bought to my room was $26.00. Even though my company was paying the expense I felt this is high way robbery along with the car parking at $20 per day for guests.

On a good note, the staff are very polite and helpful, the outdoor area was nice to sit at and have a drink, and the meals were nice - but you are btter off having them in the restaurant as Room service takes forever and each time I have eaten it has been cold on arrival.

The beds are comfotable and the rooms are sparce but tasteful.

Overall if I was paying for this room, after the first stay I wouldnt stay there again, however it is my company's choice. Overall I think a bathroom is a good indicator into the hotel it self and I have now had 3 rooms in 3 weeks and all of them have disappointed me.

Room Tip: If your paying I wouldnt stay here
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
hgcbrisbane, General Manager at Grand Chancellor Brisbane, responded to this review, March 3, 2013
Dear Jan S,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your experience at the hotel recently.

I was pleased to read that you found the food you ordered tasted good, and that you found our staff to be friendly and polite.

I was disappointed to read that some aspects of your stay did not come up to your expectations. We have been completing renovations on the hotel over the past year. These renovations have ensured that most of our rooms have a modern and stylish look. The only rooms we have left to complete are our standard rooms. I hope you will have the chance to return to the hotel soon for a stay in one of our newly renovated rooms as I am sure it will be much more to your liking. I am sure you will agree that the small upgrade fee from $15 is well worth it for the great improvement provided by these renovated rooms. It may be worth discussing this option with your company so that you receive a room that is more in line with what you expect. Of course if budget is a concern the standard rooms can still provide a clean comfortable option with all the advantages of our stunning location. I have also passed on your comments about the room to our housekeeping manager so that she can ensure we are continuously offering the high standards of cleanliness that we are known for.

Thank you again for your time in creating this feedback for us. We look forward to your next visit to the hotel soon.

Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Perfect for a business stop-over if you are not overly fussed. The room I got was clean, well fitted out and the toiletries, towels etc. adequate.

I arrived late, left early so for my needs it was fantastic value for money.

If there were any blemishes (and I didn’t notice any), they would have been forgotten – the reason – the staff and food (room service and breakfast) was up amongst the best there is.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear Hamilton H,

Thank you for this great review of your visit to the Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane.

I am so glad you enjoyed your stay even if it was a short one. Thank you for your kind comments about our rooms, staff, and food. I will be sure to pass your praise on to the whole team.

I hope you will be able to visit us again soon, and that you get to stay a bit longer to enjoy the city.
Thank you again for your feedback.