“Short Stay en route to Fiji”

Hotel Grand Chancellor Brisbane
Ranked #25 of 157 Hotels in Brisbane
Sydney, Australia
“Short Stay en route to Fiji”
Reviewed March 29, 2011

We stopped in Brisbane the night before we flew to Fiji. The hotel itself if appealing, though a little bit dated, but overall it was a nice place to stop overnight. The staff were very helpful and polite and the rooms clean and comfortable. The only down side was that our balcony door didn't lock, although you would almost have to be spiderman to get up to our room. We stayed in a standard room, which was fine for the duration of our stay. It was quite spacious and the only thing that could be addressed was the bathroom - it was a little bit dated and 'old' looking (I'm a bit pedantic about my bathrooms!!). But it was very handy to central Brisbane and close enough to the airport. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Melbourne
Reviewed March 16, 2011

I spent most of January and February in the Grand Chancellor, as I work for a large not-for-profit and we were handling one natural disaster after another in Queensland. We had quite a few people staying there for weeks at a time.

The hotel is not the most recently refurbished or most luxurious you will find in Brisbane, but it is clean, reliable, and friendly. Every room I stayed in had a balcony which was just lovely, as it was often the only daylight I would see all day. The bathroom was always left spotless. The one time I had a problem with my air-conditioning, they changed my room within 15 minutes.

The front desk, bar and restaurant staff were all lovely. After my first two visits, every time I arrived back into the hotel I was welcomed by a cheerful "Welcome home, Ms Doyle!" from the front desk staff. The girls behind the bar soon got to know my usual glass of red, and the evening and morning restaurant staff were also helpful and professional. I ate dinner there most evenings especially throughout January, and despite the floods there was always a decent selection of dishes and really good service.

There is a friendly little Indian place just next door that sells really good food and has an outdoor terrace if you can manage the humidity during the wet. And the Roma Gardens across the street are just lovely for an early-morning walk to clear the head before a busy working day.

The Grand Chancellor is not my usual hotel in Brisbane, but I won't ever worry about being sent there again. The way I was looked after recently, it really feels like home away from home. Thanks to all the lovely staff.

Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Mairead D
Australia
Reviewed March 4, 2011

We weren't expecting luxury for the price we paid. We had a balcony room which is unusual to have in a hotel. The balcony was great to sit out and look at the city of Brisbane. We did smell cigarette smoke from other guests.

What we didnt expect was leftover hair in the bathroom, dirty walls that desperately needed painting and a very out of date bathroom which tiles could have used a clean.

The foyer is beautiful but there is a mismatch of colours. The staff at reception were helpful but did not tell us about the free Spring Hill bus until we asked in the city. Given that the hotel is situated on a very hilly location, this free bus was fantastic for travel back and to the city from the hotel.

Would we stay again? Maybe, only because its one of the affordable hotels in the area and didn't want to spend a lot of money before we took off for our cruise. No more than one night recommended. Did not take a swim in the pool either and would not recommend it.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 1, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for 9 nights while my husband was in St Andrew's Hospital, approx 100 metres door to door. I felt very safe and comfortable; rooms were modern, clean and spacious with balcony, bathrooms adequate. Hotel staff were always helpful. Hotel guest laundry (coin operated) was available 24 hrs - very handy. Hotel restaurant and room service food was gourmet quality and delicious. Only 10 minutes walk downhill to centre of Brisbane shopping, 15 minutes back up hill but great daily exercise! A Shuttle is available for the lazy. Good parking but daily fee charged. Would stay again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Brisbane
Reviewed February 24, 2011

A nice romantic getaway with the Partner. 2 Large bathrobes in the wardrobe and room had looked like it was reasonably new. We were situated on the 9th floor With spectacular views at night (and day). Pool was great and spa too.

Young red headed boy on reception was a right Gem nothing was a issue and was very welcoming.

The restaurant dinner was divine, Best steak I've had in a Very long time

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank K_NBrisbane
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 23, 2011

Staying at this hotel was not a nice experience. I booked a 'superior' room and was shown into a shabby, dismal room with watermarks on the ceiling. There was an awful noise from the ceiling. I phoned reception and eventually got an engineer to come and see about the noise. He said it was the plant and equipment above the room, but it didn't bother him as he was hard of hearing. During my third call to reception I asked to speak to the manager and she agreed that I could move to a quieter room. The second room was quieter and had been recently decorated, but like the rest of the hotel was completely soulless. The single picture on the wall appeared to be a piece of wallpaper. The promised accompanying 'refreshments' comprised of a single bottle of water with its seal suspiciously broken. The fan in the bathroom was deafening. The charge of nearly $30 for 24 hours internet access is outrageous in this day and age.

Overall I thought the staff were quite friendly and efficient. The hotel, however, is awful with no expense avoided to provide any individuality or home comforts. It is severely over-priced. Horrible.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Queensland
Reviewed February 11, 2011

Stayed for 3 nights 4th-7th February, no complaints. Room on 4th floor with nice views over part of city. Lovely to have a twin room with double beds and adequate space to negotiate. Bathroom a bit tired but very clean.
Restaurant meal excellent though service was a bit slow, and decor not to my taste. Coffee bar was excellent for drinks and snacks.
Reception staff unfailingly polite with all details. Hired a car and had no problems parking although a fee was charged.
Location is beautiful, but at the top of a hill so not for the unfit - we knew this when we booked as we have stayed before.
I would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends