“Not quite a premium cut yet”

Cut Steakhouse & Tapas Restaurant
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Spanish
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Brisbane, Australia
“Not quite a premium cut yet”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

The steak at this restaurant is delicious. My Angus sirloin was perfectly cooked so that it was adequately rare and still bursting with juice. The sides we ordered were also very tasty, as were the entrees. We ordered the ribs, meatballs and a serving of quite possibly the largest prawns I have ever consumed. The restaurant had a nice ambiance and the semi open kitchen allowed for the easy tracking of our orders.

However, those of you who are reading this have probably realised that there is a large 'but' coming, as such excellent food does not usually warrant a 3 star rating. And you'd be right. For while I give cut top marks for the food, the service, in particular the main waitress who served us, was appalling. Coming into the restaurant, we received a warm welcome from the staff, and on leaving we received an equally warm farewell. However, the waitress who took our orders and generally served us wasn't as good. The first mishap came when ordering the drinks. I ordered a coke, but she asked me whether I wanted my beer to be from the tap or bottle. Thinking she had said coke, I asked for it to come from the tap. It wasn't until she placed both a beer and a coke in front of me that I had realised what she had said. While I was flattered that she thought that I looked old enough to be over the legal drinking age (I'm not), it was still obvious that the beer wasn't for me. And once the person whom the beer was for had drunk it (and laid the cup down in front of himself), she asked me if I wanted another beer. A similar problem occurred with the wine. Dad ordered the wine, while holding the wine list, and yet it was given to Mum to taste. The waitress then offered to decant it (it was a young wine and it didn't really need to be but the parents said yes anyway), leaving only a small amount of wine in Mum's glass and none in Dad's. So the waitress took the bottle away to decant, however she didn't bring the decanter back to the table and it wasn't until Mum had asked her twice that she brought the wine back to the table.
It is these niggles that can really detract from a dining experience and they certainly did in this case. If this waitress was very inexperienced, she could be somewhat forgiven for her lack of knowledge on how to serve properly. But even then,such a junior staff member should have had the supervision of a more experienced member of staff.

Despite this, I hope to dine again at Cut in the future.

• Visited June 2013