“Delicious Pan-Asian!!!”

Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
“Delicious Pan-Asian!!!”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We thoroughly enjoyed our very tasty meal at The Birdcage. The restaurant has lovely ambience, very attentive staff and amazing menu. It took ages to decide because the choice is so varied and the day's specials sounded delicious. Four of us shared a variety of entrees, mains and desserts and enjoyed every single one of them. The fishcakes were lovely and light, the calamari and duck perfectly cooked and the banana fritters amazing. The chefs use spices and fruits very cleverly so that you enjoy a variety of flavours. Seating is varied between tables and booths - I liked a booth for two couples because it felt more intimate and made sharing a lot easier. The cocktail menu is just as challenging. The chilli inspired one is (of course) very hot and heat dominates any flavour. The restaurant also has a large area downstairs which would be perfect for a function. We were very impressed and can't wait to return.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Oneiota
BirdCage_Gabba, Owner at Birdcage Restaurant, responded to this review, February 2, 2014
Thank you very much for dining at BirdCage recently and I am pleased to hear you enjoyed the duck which is a new addition to our menu. I look forward to welcome you back to BirdCage in the near future

“Fantastic dining experience!”
Reviewed January 23, 2014

This is one of the most delicious meals we have experienced....the snapper and salmon fish cakes w aioli, without a doubt are the best we've ever eaten....so much so, we needed to order a second serve! Clever way of serving the chilli too, on the side (for us non-chilli lovers). My star anise cinnamon duck w pineapple and mandarin was a taste sensation and cooked to perfection, with the duck perfectly cooked and crisp on the outside but still moist and tender on the inside. My husband's steak was excellent too, but after trying my duck, he agreed that he would need to have it the next time! The service throughout our meal was excellent, friendly and helpful and the ambiance is lovely, with beautiful light shades and exposed brickwork in this old building. Bonus....they allow BYO bottled wine during the week with a fair corkage charge.....what more could you want.....we will definitely be back and highly recommend it.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Helenjen
BirdCage_Gabba, Owner at Birdcage Restaurant, responded to this review, January 29, 2014
Helen,

Thank you very much for choosing Birdcage recently and your kind comments are much appreciated. We have made a few menu and recipe changes in 2014 including the duck which has been well received so far. Hope to see you back again soon.
kind regards
“Wouldn't go back”
Reviewed December 14, 2013 via mobile

Our waiter kept getting our order wrong and didn't know what wad on the menu so doesn't believe us when we were trying to order a certain dish. The food was only average and incredibly spicy.

BirdCage_Gabba, Owner at Birdcage Restaurant, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and please accept my sincere apologies regarding the quality of the food and service. I am concerned about your comments and would appreciate if you could contact me directly at darryl@birdcage.com.au to give me further details regarding your server and the meals chosen. Kind regards
Uralla, Australia
“Ambience and fine staff”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

On a very busy night,staff fitted us in without a booking.The food was delicious,though I would have liked just a little rice included with my red curry duck.The babana fritters with salted caramel sauce were wonderful!Service was great despite the numbers there and we had a very enjoyable night.

Visited November 2013
BirdCage_Gabba, Owner at Birdcage Restaurant, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments on our staff and the Duck and Banana Fritters, we do offer rice as a side dish for guests to order. I look forward to seeing at BirdCage again in the near future.
Bristol
“Excellent food but the staff need a little training”
Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

We had a great meal for five people on the 23rd November 2013. We all had different main meals that all tasted great.

The only negative about our experience was some of the waiting staff. Whilst they were polite and they lacked in some of the basic skills. We asked one member if staff what they could recommend from the menu, she responded by telling us that she had not tasted anything from the menu so could not provide any guidance. Even some basic direction would have been good. We all felt a bit sorry for the young ladies serving us because they were nice but just lacked in confidence.

We had to ask several times for a bottle of wine, it was only after speaking to the manager that the bottle arrived. The bottle then appeared twice on our bill. The restaurant was not busy therefore this could have been avoided.

Notwithstanding the great food a further positive was the manager. From the moment we walked in he made us feel welcome. It was clear that he ran the show. When he served us there was some clear direction on what was good etc plus he made things happen. He was also busy conducting his staff all night. Maybe a little more direction regarding simple waiting skills and sharing his experience would result in this review being excellent rather than very good.

We will be returning.

Visited November 2013
BirdCage_Gabba, Owner at Birdcage Restaurant, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Leigh,
Thank you for dining at BirdCage recently and I appreciate the kind comments about the food. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfall in service and training of the staff, we had taken on some new staff due top the Ashes Test and certainly more training could have been done. The additional wine on your bill was my fault as I added this in, when you mentioned you had not received your wine. Once again my apologies and I do hope that you will come to enjoy BirdCage again in the near future.
Darryl Marsden