San Kai Modern Japanese Restaurant
Reserve with
San Kai Modern Japanese Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #243 of 4,313 Restaurants in Brisbane
Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Kids, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Brisbane, Australia
“Wow”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

Late night on a Tuesday, and me and my friends were late for dinner. Looking around, San Kai was one of the few places still open. We asked if they were willing to take us and they said yes - and wow, they were great. The staff were super friendly and the food was just terrific. I don't know what they put in the bbq pork, but it can't be legal... simply awesome. Even though we were the last ones in the restaurant they didn't rush us and we had a great time.

Compared to some of the service we'd have in South Bank, this one stands head and shoulders above. We left them a $20 tip: they earned every cent.

• Visited May 2014
2 Thank Kell B

Adelaide
“Excellent value, fresh delicious food”
Reviewed April 15, 2014

I only had take-away, the crumbed pork, egg and rice dish and it was delicious and huge service. Excellent value and great service

Visited April 2014
Cairns
“Great little restaurant”
Reviewed April 12, 2014

This is a gem of a restaurant, they happily greeted me, the meal I had was amazing and the service was fantastic. Will certainly revisit next time I'm in Brisbane.

Visited April 2014
Brisbane, Australia
“Japanese at Southbank. Excellent food and value.”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

Again, as I walked past, before my planned exercise walking across the Victoria Bridge to do business in the city, the prospect an inexpensive lunch found me at San Kai. Yes, I've been before and will be delighted to return.
The service is first class and so is the food. At first glance the menu items are average price for a decent restaurant, but San Kai also offers lunch specials. For $9.90, patrons can make their selection from 9 meal choices - customary Japanese cuisine such as teriyaki, tempura, etc. Yesterday, after asking staff what was the most popular dish, the recommendation from the lunch specials was the salmon. What an excellent choice! The salmon came with accompaniments of salad and rice. It was beautifully cooked: I couldn't have chosen better. Miso soup is served with the main meal.
The staff is courteous and attentive, occasionally checking that the meal is to one's liking, or if more iced water and, in my case, green tea, is required. Not a hint of impoliteness have I experienced at this restaurant. The restaurant was about half full when I arrived around noon and more patrons wandered in and out during my hour there.
I've only been for lunch so can't comment on dinner, etc. If the lunch special isn't to your liking, San Kai has an extensive menu. If you go, I hope you enjoy the food and the overall experience as much as I do.

• Visited March 2014
Yeppoon
“Good food but entertainment book users beware”
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

We dined on a Sat night and we must admit the service and food were great. 2 people in our group had entertainment book vouchers for 'buy one main get one main free'. The menu wasn't very clear in what was considered a main meal - after ordering 5 meals, that we all assumed were mains, it turned out the staff only classified one as a main. This was really disappointing and we felt it was a bit of a scam. It was a bit of a downer for what had been a good night. If you're dining without the book, no problem! If you are using a voucher perhaps ask staff to explain very clearly what you can actually order to be able to use the voucher.

1 Thank Kristyn25